1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota's Next Prius: Hybrid X Concept Unveiled

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by KMO, Mar 7, 2007.

1. mcsj

mcsj Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree with the word "ugly". What's the point for having a car that appears on sci-fi movies?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(texassalsa04 @ Mar 7 2007, 07:16 AM) [snapback]401562[/snapback]</div>

2. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The glass roof won't work out for me. I doubt it would go into production. The car would get too hot while parked.

I have to avoid the sun, so I'd have to wear a wide-brimmed hat while driving, and then have to deal with the head restraint.

Nope, it won't work for me.

Harry

3. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I like some of the looks like the glass-type roof. Naturally I assume Toyota will make it to safety standards and have a way to shield direct sun (like those new windows which you can pass electricity through to make them non-see-through). The suicide doors are interesting, but since I believe they were removed years ago from the Lincoln for safety reasons they may not make it into final production. True, the car has an unusual 'boxy' design for our eyes, but then again the outward design of the current Prius was hard for some to accept at first. We'll get used to that look. I like the front view. What would most make me give up my '04 would be a plug in model as aux.

4. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Mar 9 2007, 12:48 PM) [snapback]402820[/snapback]</div>
    The glass roof could certainly be made safe (it also appears that there is a larger expense of glass than there actually is, due to the blacked-out rails along the door sills). I would really like to see this roof make it to production, but I suspect that it won't due to cost concerns (maybe it could be an option?) The Scion tC has a panoramic roof despite its low price. That is an opening sunroof, and I think weight and aerodynamic concerns will prevent the Prius from having one. Current production cars have suicide doors, but now they're made so that the front doors have to open before the rear doors can. A lot of concept cars have them because they are trendy, but not really practical for a sedan (I have a few years experience hauling kids in a Honda Element).
    I agree with you- they got my attention with the styling, but it's a deal if they make it a plug-in!

5. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, I won't trade my current car until they make it either a plug-in or REALLY improve the gas mileage. I love the outside design as I want a car that tell others that I'm driving a hybrid (and so should they!). I hope they keep the roof design, that would be a REALLY cool feature, if you could make it darker when you need it would be a killer!

I'm a little disappointed with the inside design. Sure it's "out there" but seem to give few clues to what the production car will look like. I also think the stereo cluster while futuristic looks "low res" at the same time. Not what I prefer. The door knobs look funky enough though!

All in all a cool concept but I was hoping they would share some more performance data!

6. robincx

robincx "Fear is the mind killer"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I like it, even the euro anteater concept seen further down. Either way, my Audi turns into a Prius at the next gen release.

7. Tripod137

Tripod137 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The front kinda reminds me of the 2 door bentley
    The back reminds me of a hummer (H1/H2)....kinda boxy
    Side view reminds of the current class of Lamborghini's(sp)

That glass roof looks nice, but then again, you end up w/ skin cancer driving to work each day!

8. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

I read something on Edmunds that I hadn't seen previously:
    At least it will smell good!

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Posted in the other thread also.

[​IMG]

10. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Mar 9 2007, 08:48 AM) [snapback]402820[/snapback]</div>
    Just wondering...why were they called suicide doors? (Ok, I COULD google, but this is more fun!) :rolleyes:

11. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Mar 10 2007, 01:54 AM) [snapback]403275[/snapback]</div>
    I'm pretty sure this was answered in the other thread on this car. The one started by usbseawolf2000.
    I don't have time to search through it now though. And, googling would probably be faster.

Dave M.

12. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Mar 10 2007, 05:54 AM) [snapback]403275[/snapback]</div>
    I answered this one in the other thread :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Mar 8 2007, 03:15 PM) [snapback]402349[/snapback]</div>

13. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Michael for the polite and patient reply...and apologies for not doing my own research.

And...I admit, I haven't seen the other thread, and don't recall how I happened upon this one.

14. ml194152

ml194152 Member

This is starting to look too much like an SUV. :angry: Styling-wise, you're going in the wrong direction Toyota.

15. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I couldn't give a rat's nice person what it looks like! I want to know the specs: Plug-in? Top speed in EV mode? Distance on a charge (if it's PHEV)?

Well, probably doesn't really matter anyway. I want an EV, and then I'd just keep my trusty '04 Prius for road trips and cargo-hauling.

16. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok. I'm shallow. I DO give a rat's nice person (or at least CARE) what it looks like. (Or, at the very least, care about internal capacity--I LOVE the current one, that seems very like Mary Poppins' bag--lots bigger on the inside than it looks like on the outside...somehow, I suspect the "X" isn't the same.)

However...given the # of years we tend to keep cars...and that neither of us bought a new car since 1991 (until the '06 Pri), I suspect there ain't gonna be a NEW car in this household for at least 10 years, regardless of appearance/specs/whatever. (Current fleet consists of all--except Pri--used--'75--bought in '80--Triumph Spitfire; '87 L7 beemer, bought in '05 as tank to protect new teen driver, '02--stick--series 5 beemer for DH...shutup--[THAT replaced a '91 series 5 beemer, bought in 2000, that got WAY too expensive to maintain]...its mileage is pretty damn good--approx. 30 highway, and DH likes "performance" as well as comfort for his old[er] bones :lol: --Spitfire's his also, but we've gotten too old to get into and out of it on a regular basis--but he can't bring himself to part with it; and, obviously, my '06 Pri, which replaced a '91 Acura Integra HB.)