1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota's runaway-car worries may not stop at floor mats-LA TIMES

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Jasonsprite, Oct 18, 2009.

1. neon tetra

neon tetra Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It's more than just the floor mats. I mentioned this months ago & the Toyota cultists jumped down my throat.

I love Toyota. I think they make the best overall cars on the road. But there are a ton of ppl on this site who are simply perpetual apologists for them & act like they can do no wrong.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    speculations != facts and data

Bob Wilson

3. ianjenkins1975

ianjenkins1975 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I saw someone remark they hope the pedal maker goes bankrupt--wasn't the pedal maker just producing pedals to Toyota's specs?

4. ToyotaFleetManager

ToyotaFleetManager New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota like all other automakers goes to a sub contractor like CTS, Denso, Aisan and countless others and gives them a set of specifications. These specifications include things like size, type of connector, amount of resistance and dimensions. After that it is up to the supplier to use their expertise, patents and engineering staff to meet those specifications. That is why a Denso manufactured pedal is so different than the CTS made pedal. The external specifications are the same but the interior engineering is completely different.

5. barnabas

barnabas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Has anyone been able to get there Gen III into neutral while driving by puting the shift level to neutral position, location? Some say to put it in park position and it will go into neutral. I am a little concerned about doing that.

Barn

6. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To shift to neutral, hold the shifter across to the left (left-hand-drive cars; to the right on right-hand-drive cars) for half a second. Just keep holding it there until it shifts. A second is longer than most people think it is, particularly when waiting for some action to occur.

The delay is there because the stick has to go through the N position to get to R or D; the car ssumes that you're going to select R or D so doesn't do anything until you've left the stick at N for a while.

The fact that pressing the P button or shifting to R at speed shifts to neutral is to protect the transmission. It's not an intentional fast way to switch the neutral. I'd still recommend using N rather than shifting to a different position.

1 person likes this.