1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyta Prius: martyrs wanted

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by jkash, Sep 30, 2007.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hadn't seen this article posted. It is so strange how differently people can see things. I particularly like how the article spells Toyota wrong.

Toyta Prius: martyrs wanted

I see them everywhere. Like a confused Tonka toy that lost its way and somehow ended up on the ‘big kid’ road, it putters timidly down the street at a blazing 30 mph.

Yes, I’m talking about the one and only Toyota Prius.

The problem with the Prius is not that it relies on hybrid fuel sources to minimally propel its 12-inch wheels; it’s that it looks like a hybrid.

Instead of developing a car that downplays its less classic means of propulsion, Toyota has gone with a completely opposite approach by turning the look of the Prius into a trademark symbol for hybrid lovers everywhere.

It has become a badge of honor in the green community, sending the message: “I am willing to drive an extremely unattractive car in order to save the environment from the costly fumes your H2 Hummer is wheezing into our air.â€

Read more.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Everyone's open to their opinion.

Clearly, I disagree with this guy but fully respect his ability and right to express his opinion in a circulated newspaper.

3. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fear not.. None of the comments posted below that article agreed with the author. They all took him to task for being a brainless idiot. :lol:

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That comment by efusco there was particularly well stated I think!
    I agree everyone's welcome to their opinion, but when you quote things as fact they ought be somewhere close to the truth..opinions should be clearly opinions and facts clearly factual.

5. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Sep 30 2007, 09:55 AM) [snapback]519396[/snapback]</div>
    Had me worried for a second -- I though that was a real newspaper, publishing that trash. It's the student newspaper of University of Washington. Which is a newspaper but not one that people pay to subscribe to, I think.

I added my 2cents to the responses.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I often wonder if these people, journalists, ever re-read the crap they wrote at a later date and realize how ignorant they sounded.

7. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 30 2007, 09:57 AM) [snapback]519399[/snapback]</div>
    I thought so, too, and added my 2 cents as well.

I especially liked the comment from the Aussie gentlemen who pointed out how poorly Volvo owners drive. That's been a personal observation of mine for years.

Harry

8. tballx

tballx New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chogan @ Sep 30 2007, 08:12 AM) [snapback]519421[/snapback]</div>
    Actually worked there in college delivering it each day around the campus and the local neighborhood. There is no subscription. Think really tiny newspaper not even printed on a standard size paper with little professionalism and journalistic integrity.

9. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

Maybe a good counter article might be "H2, Martyr's needed (to supply the gas)" .

10. YoungOrganist

YoungOrganist New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Certainly we all disagree, but lets have fun tearing him apart anyway ;):

First of all, why someone would write an article based on false pretenses that are debunked right from the getgo is a mystery to me. "Turning the look of the prius into a trademark symbol"??? In case he hasn't noticed, ALL of toyota's cars redesigned after 2005 have similar cosmetics. The prius screams "TOYOTA" just as much as "HYBRID". Also, the monstrous triangle shape is one of the reasons the prius is more practical than the Ford Escape hybrid, it somehow manages to offer just as much space and get better mileage.

</False pretense accusations>

Why on earth would I want to shell out $7000 extra dollars and THEN endure a loathsome drive, cheap rattly plastic, unreliability without the benefits of gas frugality and image??? Buying a bad car does not make you a hero. I'm not one that believes that buying a prius makes you an environmental hero, but it is after all one of the most versatile vehicles on the road.

I've also noticed he criticizes the Prius for only getting 46MPG, and also criticizes Prius drivers for driving 30. As we all know, those things do not occur at once.

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    12 inch wheels?

12. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 30 2007, 01:10 PM) [snapback]519466[/snapback]</div>
    Width? That would be Tonka-like.

PA P

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hey.. I need to refuel, where do I get "hybrid fuel sources"??? hahaha

14. mrg

mrg Member

I was dusturbed by the puppy kicker comparison. I thought it was a stupid statement. Being called ugly is one thing, but I don't like being associated with animal abuse. I voiced my complaint. :angry:

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 30 2007, 09:57 AM) [snapback]519399[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for summing up my rant pretty close, only toned downed to a more acceptable level :p

16. kentano

kentano Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Holy cow, that guy needs his head examined. I hope his Journalism professor has pulled him aside to discuss his serious lack of fact-checking. Even opinion pieces need to be fact checked. I responded to the article and added that I love being called one of "the Jetsons" by my family! :p

To everyone on PC who responded to that article....great job! I agree with all of you.

Brittani

17. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "Form follows function" - one of the first things you learn in any design class. Prius meets this criteria by being fusiform - providing least resistance to a fluid (air). Put a cubic block of paraffin in a stream of water (or air) and it will take on a fusiform shape - one that offers least resistance.

Only a person who substitutes oil for knowledge will not recognize the beauty of the Prius. What about all the other "soap" cars on the road?

18. YoungOrganist

YoungOrganist New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    "Lexus, which Ironically is owned by toyota, has developed a luxury hybrid sedan..."

Oh, the Irony!

19. mseebode

mseebode New Member

Wow! That guy got slapped down by a lot of angry Prius drivers - most of whom were better writers than he. There didn't seem to be one response in support of his views. I guess the Hummer camp didn't get the news yet. LOL!

20. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I tried not to get sucked in, but I was unsuccessful. It was just so bad I couldn't not get in there and take a few shots. :lol:

Rob