1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS - 8 PSI Warning

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by pfreeus, Aug 28, 2009.

1. pfreeus

pfreeus New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was curious about the TPMS system and when the low tire pressure indicator warning would come on. I figured that the cheap pen tire pressure gauge wouldn't be accurate enough so decided to look into what gauge would give me decent/consistent readings without breaking the bank. I ended up getting the Accu-Gage EZ-Air 100psi gauge from getagauge.com. It arrived today.

From my limited test (below), it appears the warning comes on when the pressure drops below 8psi from what was set.

This is what I did.

FRONT DRIVER TIRE
    1) Pumped the front driver side to 40 PSI
    2) Set the TPMS per instuctions in the manual
    3) Turned on the car then proceeded to deflate the tire by one PSI, kick the tire then checked for the warning light
    4) Repeated step 3 until warning light came on
    The warning came on at 32 PSI
    5) Turned off the car and pumped to 36 PSI
    6) Turned on the car
    Warning light was not on

FRONT PASSENGER TIRE
    1) Checked pressure and it was at 33 PSI
    2) Deflated the tire by one PSI, kicked the tire then checked for warning light
    3) Repeated step 2 until warning light came on
    The warning came on at 25 PSI

The reason for inflating the front/driver tire was I wanted to determine if it was a set PSI or a percent of set pressure (such as 20 or 25%). Granted this is a very limited test but I concluded that it has to be a set PSI and not percent. If percent, say 25%, the front driver would have gone on when the PSI was at 30 but it came on at 32.
    ----------
    I wanted to set my tires to 42/40 and wanted to be told when it dropped below 2 PSI (basically be warned when the fronts were at 40 or below OR the rears were at 38 or belwo) so I did the following.

1) Increased the front tires to 48 PSI
    2) Increased the rear tires to 46 PSI
    3) Set the TPMS per instructions in the manual
    4) Deflated the front tires to 42 PSI
    5) Deflated the rear tires to 40 PSI
    6) Turned on the car and checked that the warning was off
    ----------
    Things learned.
    - Not sure if this is a factory or dealer thing but my tires were nitrogen filled. I used compressed air to fill though.
    - All tire pressures before the start of the experiment were 33 PSI. I'm assuming this was done so when the tires were rotated, it would be no big thing.
    ----------
    What I didn't do but wished I did.
    - After the last step 6 above, I wished I deflated the tire pressure by 2 or 3 PSI to see if the warning light came on. My bike pump broke so had to borrow a small cigarette lighter pump and friend took it back already. May try to get later and deflate.
    - Same for back tire.
    ----------
    What I would like to know.
    I'd like to know if the sensor is specific to a wheel wheel or if the set PSI is specific to the wheel well independent of what registered sensor was there. I am hoping that it is independent so that when I rotate tires, I can just increase to 42 or decrease to 40 accordingly without having to perform the past steps 1-6.
    ----------
    Now reading on line they say not to mix compress air with nitrogen (whatever) so I'm not recommending that anyone try the above. I comfortably feel that I will be okay but that is just me. I am not encouraging anyone to do what I did.

3 people like this.
  2. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've seen the sensor output page in the Techstream system and the set pressure is tied to the specific sensor ID and not the position on the car. The TMPS system does not know where the tire is, just what four sensor IDs are associated with it. And each sensor ID has its own set point. So when you rotate tires, you'll need to go through all your steps to have the settings correct again. Sorry. I can confirm from looking at that page though, that your observation of an 8psi offset seems to be correct. My tires were at 48/46 and my trip points showed in the system as 40/38.

As for mixing nitrogen and air, don't worry about it. The air you breathe every day is 78% nitrogen to begin with, so mixing the two will have no effect at all.

3. mmurphy

mmurphy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nice to know. Thank you!

Marty

4. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. TKY

TKY Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    According to the Owners Manual, we have to activate the system. I have not done this because I check my tire pressure regularly and I plan to buy winter tires with their own wheels so I'll mount them once without transferring or installing a set of TPMS sensors in the winter tires. I could just deflate the tires to see if the warning light comes on, but thought of this question while reading this thread.

Has anyone checked their TPMS to see if the dealership activated their system as part of the new car setup and prep procedures? --TK

6. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had a low tire from a puncture a couple of weeks after I bought the car. System worked as advertised. I hadn't done anything to activate the system.

1 person likes this.
  7. pfreeus

pfreeus New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    rachealseven, thanks for letting me know that the pressure is tied directly to the tire regardless of location. The next time I rotate (and do steps again), I think I am just going to increase all to 46 PSI. That way future rotations will just have a 4 PSI range for the front and 2 PSI range for the rear. My Prius were originally at 33 PSI tfor all four tires anyway.

It would have been nice if Toyota included a sensor for the spare and monitored. It would save us from the hassle of pulling out the spare to check unless we get the extender like jay_man2 did (which I totally forgot and now have to pay $4.95 in shipping; it was my bad for forgetting so no biggy). Thanks for the reminder jay_man2.

8. Philosophe

Philosophe 2010 Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I highly doubt that changing from 78% nitrogen (also called air) to close to 100% nitrogen would make a difference. Add this to the fact that your tires are not vacuum pumped before supposedly pure nitrogen is pumped in it. You are probably getting something around 90% nitrogen in the end. 78% or 90% should not make that much of a difference. Air humidity has a greater impact but use of nitrogen doesn’t ensure that the gas (air/nitrogen) moisture is reduced.

IMHO, the nitrogen thing is mostly a hoax, especially when you consider the price you are paying.

9. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have one installed on my spare, and ran it so the end is in the small storage area on the left side of the cargo area, where I keep my Accu-Gage and disposable plastic gloves for pressure checking. I cut a small notch in the underside of the large storage area above the spare so the hose wouldn't get kinked.

1 person likes this.
  10. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great idea. Thanks!:hail:

11. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks,PF, Rachael7, and Jay: great info!

12. jim256

jim256 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    From the initialization procedure (TSB 0151-09)
    The Low Tire Pressure Warning Light will blink
    for 1 minute and then remain illuminated until
    all the tire pressure warning valves/sensors are

activated.

If it's not blinking and then lit the dealer activated it, as he should. This bulletin was included with the '10 manual download from another site.

1 person likes this.
  13. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nice write-up pfreeus! I think I'll be setting up our ride in a similar fashion. There was another thread along these lines and it got me thinking; I just haven't acted on it yet; thanks!

14. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fast Shipping! I placed an order with getagauge.com shortly after this post on Friday, and got the items in postal mail today! Great service! :rockon:

15. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am so envious.... Crossing my fingers that the my cable on its way will work with my version of Techstream :cool:

16. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's handy to be able to get in there, I have to say. Was not cheap and I wish I had a local club or group I could have shared costs with. But having past the bill-paying stage, it sure is nice to have full access to my own car. Good luck with the cable!

17. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I installed mine today, and just ran it to the left side area under the middle of the large storage bin. I was able to drop the bin back in without kinking the hose or needing to cut a notch in it.

My spare was down to about 45 psi when I checked it, though, instead of the 60 psi it should have. I bumped it to 72 or so using my new gauge with the fill valve. :p

18. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    mine came on about 20 lbs light. i had mine set at 42 PSI, when light came on, i pulled over immediately and TP was 22 PSI.

19. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Are you losing air rapidly from that tire? Based on what I've seen and read, it should only have gone that far low if the time lag (between initial low pressure and onset of warning) allowed the pressure to continue dropping past the trip point.

20. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    this was in my SPM and happened on way home from dinner last fall. it was a slow leak, that was later determined to be caused from a nail. the nail was pulled, the tire repaired and that same tire is now pushing 42,000 miles. it is OEM equipment.

it leaked rather slowly to the point that i would pump it to 50 PSI every 3-4 days or so. i drove it like that for nearly two weeks before i had a chance to get it fixed. (ya, me lazy)

although the economy sucks, i live in an area with heavy new construction. the recession has slowed the roll down slightly if at all. (across the main road from my development, house building was put on hold for the better part of a year, but they are back in full swing now)
    but i have caught a nail 3 times last year. sucks...