1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS experimentation with '06 and scantool

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by galaxee, Nov 3, 2006.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    DH had an 06 prius in his bay today with a scantool hooked up to it, when it occurred to him that he wanted to check out some stuff about the TPMS in these guys.

first, he turned on the car with all tires present. he carried one tire, still inflated, across the shop and surprisingly a pressure was still listed on the scantool. after that, he carried the tire outside the shop, around a concrete wall, and set it down. he walked back into the shop, and sure enough the scantool is still reporting pressure from a sensor it's not communicating with. he turned the car off and back on, thinking that lack of a sensor would kick the tpms warning light. no deal. it was still reporting the pressure from earlier. so then, he went back outside and let about 15 lbs of air out of the tire and carried the tire back in low on pressure. his coworker monitored the scantool as he approached the car. when DH got about 60 ft away from the car, the reported pressure dropped to what was actually in the tire and the light kicked on.

so there's some kind of glitch here that we're working on figuring out. would explain a few strange occurrences reported here. in fact, this is going to come up during his next conversation with his tech assist guy.

second, and probably much more interesting to those of you with 2 sets of wheels who want 2 sets of sensors... while he was digging into this first thing, he noticed the availability of a main/2nd switch on the scantool menu. this software doesn't report things that don't exist. haven't tried to switch it with the scantool because there wasn't time. and you'd think that if it was something configurable with the scantool, toyota would say something about seeing your dealer for that option. so it's unlikely that that would work. however... this may mean we could develop a main/2nd switch hack for those of you with 2 sets of rims.

2. rfred

rfred New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 3 2006, 09:01 PM) [snapback]343616[/snapback]</div>
    I don't see any lack of consistency with what happened. The pressure monitoring system was doing exactly what it was designed to do - monitor the pressure of the tires. The lack of signal shouldn't set it off; any number of things (radio interference would be my first thought) could lead to someone thinking that their tire pressure is low if the computer equated lack of signal with low pressure.

Now if there was a, "My God, your wheel has fallen off of your car" sensor, then yeah, that should have been going off...

3. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree with rfred. I don't know exactly how the TPMS sensors work, but if I were designing the system I wouldn't bother having all the sensors constantly transmit "I'm OK." It would be easier to wait until the pressure was low and send a message "Hey, pay attention to me! My pressure is low!"

(sure wish I had access to a scantool :( )

4. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ...and if a sensor failed and stopped sending signal? how are you gonna know?

this also clears up something posted here where a guy thought he had successfully registered his new set of sensors at home because the warning light never kicked on.

5. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 4 2006, 07:14 AM) [snapback]343770[/snapback]</div>
    If we are concerned that the sensors have failed, we can let air out of the tires and see if the warning light comes on. It sounds like a trade off between a warning light which stays on when it is not needed and the probably *unlikely* event of a sensor failure.

All of this tells me that a reading of the actual tire pressure on the MFD would be a lot more helpful especially since that information is available (on the Scantool).

Edit: Of course one would still need to determine which wheel the pressure represented since the sensors are not keyed to the wheel location.

6. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    these sensors refresh and report new info to the ecu every 15 seconds. so the transmitters are already basically constantly sending information. as DH found, the sensor has an effective range of at least 60 feet. but on the car it's never more than 10 feet from the receiver antenna. it puts out a strong enough signal that radio interference would be a little hard to do for a long enough time to cause a problem.

when the ecu fails to receive a signal from one of the transmitters, the system keeps the last reported pressure in the system and accepts it as okay- indefinitely. a problem, such as complete lack of signal transmission (indicating sensor failure), should have a way to alert the driver.

the light on wouldn't be unnecessary, it would indicate a problem that needs to be addressed.

you want an unnecessary light, get an 04 or 05 prius and drive in january. :lol:

7. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 4 2006, 06:50 PM) [snapback]343984[/snapback]</div>
    The test that your DH did was very helpful to an understanding of the TPMS.

If I understand your post correctly, we miscommunicated. The tradeoff I was referring to was the one made by the Toyota engineers. I fully agree that some indication of a sensor failure is needed. I don't expect a change which will affect my car, but I do see that abiility to see the actual pressure may be an answer to the problem. In the meantime, I will treat the TPMS as a suppliment to and not a replacement for hand checking of tire pressure.

8. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I can't speak to how far the tires can go from the car without turning on the light, but mine did come on last night thanks to the change in temp. I was down to 28 in one tire, 30 in the other three. I can't say how accurate this was since I had to buy a new gauge. Will compare with my dad's gauge if I stop there on my way out of the city Friday.

I'm hoping that this is the cause of most of my mileage drop. With all 4 back at 35, I'll let ya know after my next tank. I'm doing a 500 mile trip next weekend with 4 adults, so a tank shouldn't take too long.

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HokieHybrid @ Nov 4 2006, 08:28 PM) [snapback]343990[/snapback]</div>
    you know that there is a 2 psi differential front to rear on the Prius.

10. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Question! :unsure: I have heard that the tire pressure sensor operates from the rotation of the tire.Does anyone know at what speed it starts to work?

11. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    OK, now that I have installed my snow tires on a set of steel rims, I can chime in with my strange experience here.

Three days ago (Friday), I had a set of X-Ice snow tires installed on a set of brand new Toyota OEM steel rims at Costco. I explicitly told the guys NOT to transfer the TPMS sensors from the alloy rims.

When the job was done, I drive away - no TPMS light! Hooray! :D

I ran a half-dozen short errand trips over the weekend, and this morning (driven about 85km since the tires were installed) the TPMS light did the flash-for-60-seconds-then-stay-on routine.

Interestingly, I put the car in Park to drop off my wife this morning and as soon as I put it back in Drive (having not shut off the car), it triggered the light. It flashed then remained on for the last 15km of my drive. <_<

When I arrived at work, I shut the car off and started it again, and the light came on again after flashing, indicating a problem with the system (such as absence of sensors...? ;) )

Not sure why it would have taken three days and about 100km of driving to kick in...? :huh:

12. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HokieHybrid @ Nov 4 2006, 11:28 PM) [snapback]343990[/snapback]</div>
    the light comes on with a 25% drop in the set pressure.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stanlwyjohn @ Nov 5 2006, 06:54 AM) [snapback]344048[/snapback]</div>
    it's not related to speed. the sensors are always sending information to the tpms ecu.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Nov 20 2006, 12:54 PM) [snapback]352143[/snapback]</div>
    wow. that is strange. and parallels what DH saw. but hey, now we know, it takes 3 days :lol:

did you take your original rims home in the car with you? do you keep them in the garage or somewhere within 60 or so feet of the car?

13. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Nov 20 2006, 09:54 AM) [snapback]352143[/snapback]</div>
    It could have been that another 06+ Prius came within the ~60 foot range while you were dropping off the wife.

Wouldn't it have been cool if you could of, at the time, rolled down your window and say to the other Prius driver, “He buddy, that light on your dash means you have low pressure in your tires.†:D

14. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Nov 20 2006, 02:20 PM) [snapback]352192[/snapback]</div>
    remember that the sensors have to be registered to your car- to avoid that ;)

15. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 20 2006, 11:30 AM) [snapback]352198[/snapback]</div>
    Dooh! What do I know . . . I only have a lowly '05 . . . and lately, I have been spending most of my time in Fred's. -_-

If I were a conspiracy theorist who knew what he was talking about, I would have suggested that Sarge chase down that other car and ask them what they are doing with his tires. :lol:

16. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 20 2006, 01:55 PM) [snapback]352176[/snapback]</div>
    I did take original rims home with me, and in fact store them about 3 feet in front of the car. ;)

However, I did leave the house numerous times over the weekend (leaving the rims at home!), and yes I drove more than 60 feet away... :lol:

So very bizarre... :mellow:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Nov 20 2006, 03:07 PM) [snapback]352230[/snapback]</div>
    Heh heh.. :lol:

I still think it would have been way cooler if there was a page in the "Info" screens to show current tire pressures rather than just a lame light when one loses 25% pressure. I realize the computer does not "know" which sensor is at which corner, but with the technology in this car couldn't Toyota have just put the TPMS receiver at one corner of the car and determined the sensor location by relative signal strength or something? ;)

The car is so smart in so many other ways... being able to display your tire pressures onscreen would have been one more really impressive geek toy to show passengers. :p

17. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the tpms is far from perfect as we can see. so much that DH wants to do and so little time. we'll get around to playing around one of these days. it's on the list.

18. mike_m

mike_m New Member

I have 2 sets of wheels with sensors. The set I am currently running are my Enkei wheels with the sensors registered with the car. My other set are a stock set up with sensors not registered. I put the stock set a while back just to play, and the warning light didn't come on for a couple of days. Then once it did it never went away. I then put my "bling wheels" back on, and the light went out. I was really surprised that it didn't recognize a problem with other sensors sooner.

19. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe the OEM TPMS in the '06+ prius isn't on par with the several
    aftermarket systems that are out now. With those, several things
    are true:
    __ * the sensors shut down after a certain period of no movement
    __ * the receiver is trained to know which wheel is which
    So if any of the applicable statements about the Toyota system are
    true, then it is truly a lame, under-functional knockoff.
    The 60-foot range is interesting, though. Is DH still using a
    Mastertech, or did they dump the new system [what is it, SPX?
    Snap-on?] in his lap? Not that the scantool should matter in this
    case ... it would not surprise me if the TPMS controller continues
    reporting the last-seen value for a while. There are several
    engine parameters, for example, that continue being reported by the
    ECM which would be "impossible" after the engine has shut down.
    Such as injector time. That's the car's fault, not the scantool.
    How long will it take for someone to build the universal "all your
    tires are flat" transmitter, a la "tv-b-gone"...
    _H*

20. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the scantool gives pressure and temperature in the tire, and knows which tire is where. (actually good for brake diagnostics too)

don't think the sensors shut down though.

still waiting on the hardcore laptop deals... actually we're trying to see if we can set up his personal work computer to do the job- would be really great to do that. don't have the cash to invest in it right now, and don't know if it's even possible with the toyota software and etc.

it's definitely the car, not the scantool- as evidenced by what others are posting. all the feedback is helpful. very interesting...