1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS in aftermarket rims

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by keithrash, Nov 17, 2016.

1. keithrash

keithrash New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Gen4 Prius owners,

Are you running TPMS sensors in your aftermarket wheels?
    If no, is there a way around the dash notification?
    Thanks!!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Simplest way around is to simply ignore it.

RCO likes this.
  3. keithrash

keithrash New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like a good idea
    Thanks Mendel

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah not being flippant: we have that light on all the time our snow tires are on the car. Very unobtrusive, much less noticeable than passenger air bag status light, for example.

5. BigFan

BigFan Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am not sure the 2016 Prius will generate the dashboard warning if the TPMS sensors are missing in the Winter wheels. See the post below, which notes how my Winter rims with unregistered TPMS sensor IDs are not generating a dashboard warning. I am guessing the Prius dashboard TPMS warning behavior will be the same if the sensors are missing (i.e., unregistered sensors are the same as no sensors).

I was pleasantly surprised by this behavior as it seems like I can swap Winter and Summer wheels as I use to with my old 2004 Prius.

Registering TPMS IDs | PriusChat

#5 BigFan, Nov 24, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    RCO likes this.
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just mounted studded Nokia hakkapelitta 8 tires on my 06' wheels, doubt the temps still work in the wheels, and will be driving today, it's a gen4 so if I get the dash light??

And a few hours later, yes an orange light, much less distressing than red.

#6 Lucifer, Nov 24, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  7. BigFan

BigFan Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think you can just ignore the TPMS warning light if it appears on the dashboard. If you know the sensor IDs on the old 2006 wheels, then they can be registered with the tire pressure monitoring ECU of the 2016 Prius using the Techstream software (plus an MFC J2534 VIM cable) or there are dedicated devices (e.g., ATEQ QuickSet TPMS Reset Tool ) whose sole purposes is to read and store a set of Winter and Summer TPMS sensor IDs allowing simple registering with the vehicle's tire pressure monitoring ECU.

RCO likes this.
  8. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks, I'm thinking the batteries being more than 10 years old are toast, I doubt they are sending, but it is a god exercise in upkeep, life's a game.

RCO likes this.
  9. BigFan

BigFan Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well after an additional 45 minutes (approximately) of driving the TPMS warning indicator did in fact light.

I am not sure why there was that much of a delay, but having the warning indicator appear makes logical sense when the sensor IDs are not registered with the tire pressure monitoring ECU.(hence no data is being received)

Sorry for any confusion.

Registering TPMS IDs | Page 2 | PriusChat

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Isn't it odd, when we are elated to have a warning light, lol.

RCO likes this.
  11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    See my Thread "Managing TPMS with Techstream"
    But there is no "easy" way to turn off the TPMS warning lights as it is legally mandated in USA.
    One of our members reprogrammed the TPMS controller to accept 5 tires, possibly this technique could be used to reprogram for less than 4 tires, but this is advanced topic.

If you keep your old tires w/ TPMS near the car you can possibly fake out the car while in the garage, as the system has no way to know if the tires are actually mounted on the car. There is a delay up to several weeks on my 2006 before the system realizes it is missing the tires. Short trips apparently do not give the controller time to assess that the old data in the TPMS data banks is not being refreshed.

My TPMS are approaching 10.5 years old from July_2006 build date, and only one has failed to date. I bought a new one from Amazon, and I did not install it. Rather I put it in binder clip which simulates real pressure, so I found a new TPMS fake-out method. So I really only have 3 TPMS reading and one fake out reading, and the light is OFF so my wife is happy.

RCO likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Interesting, Mazda seems to have managed to make extra TPMS sensors (snow tires on rims for example) detectable by just a bit of driving around:

WHEN CHANGING TIRES YOURSELF

If you or someone else changes tires, you or someone else can also undertake the steps for the TPMS to complete the ID signal code registration.

1. After tires have been changed, switch the ignition ON, then back to ACC or OFF.

2. Wait for about 15 minutes.

3. After about 15 minutes, drive the vehicle at a speed of at least 25 km/h (16 mph) for 10 minutes and the tire pressure sensor ID signal code will be registered automatically.

NOTE

If the vehicle is driven within about 15 minutes of changing tires, the tire pressure monitoring system warning light will flash because the sensor ID signal code would not have been registered. If this happens, park the vehicle for about 15 minutes, after which the sensor ID signal code will register upon driving the vehicle for 10 minutes.