1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS Inoperable after New Tires at Discount Tire

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by J Skyler, Jan 15, 2015.

1. J Skyler

J Skyler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Everybody,

I recently got new shoes for the Prius and everything went smoothly except for an issue with TPMS. Right now the light is on steady, which as I understand it, (assumption #1) means that the car is receiving a signal from the TPMS monitors. If it flashes (assumption #2) then there could be a cracked sensor, low battery, or other malfunction.

I chose to get new tires because we had a non-repairable flat and the tires were near the end of their life anyway. Before taking the Prius in, I had no lights, and only got the solid light after the flat, which is to be expected. Here's what Discount and I have tried:

TPMS reset button. Light will blink then remain steady. I am nearly positive it blinks 4 times instead of the expected 3 times.

Scan and reset with Bartec. Discount's techs tried to scan the TPMS sensors, but was unable to scan ALL 4!

Check DTCs. Discount checked for DTCs and found none.

Adjust pressure to 45 lbs: Did not help.

They tell me that the batteries could just be too weak to register on the Bartec, but I'm not so sure. What's bothering me is that all 4 failed at the same time, after a tire change.

Does anybody have any ideas? Discount is offering half off for the sensors and no charge for labor, which is good of them, but I'd still like to know what happened.

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Based only on what you said "sounds" like they damaged one or more of the sensors.

#2 frodoz737, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What did they use to do the scan? BrandX scanners usually do not do the right thing with the Prius. The few Prius specific scanners that PC'ers use are the only ones that work reliably. If you can get a mini VCI, for example, I think you will find that indeed, one of the sensors is bad.

4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The registration numbers of each TPMS sensor is recorded and registered in the TPMS ECU for any individual car.

Toyota Techstream is only sure way to read the numbers entered into the ECU, other than dismounting the tires and reading the registration codes off each sensor.

The "easy" way to add a new sensor would be to use NEW "cloneable" sensors that can be programed to the same codes as the ones the new sensors are replacing.

More information is needed from the OP to resolve this issue.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you confusing the RF scan of the sensors with the OBDII port scan of the ECUs?

My ATEQ seems to scan my Prius TPMS OK, but my sample size is much too small to address your 'reliably' comment. I haven't yet used it to read unknown sensors to program into the Prius, only into the other car.

6. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    +1

Fortunately you noticed this quickly. Hopefully they'll do the right thing and pay for their mistake. Read similar posts where an owner didn't realize this until days later (somehow didn't notice the low tire icon), and tire shop denied they were at fault.

TPMS On (steady light) = tire(s) is/are low
    TPMS Flashing = malfunction due to a
    sensor/s has low battery (no replaceable battery unfortunately, only replace w/ new TPMS)
    sensor(s) is/are broken (this will most likely be you)
    sensor(s) is/are absent (People w/ snow tires mounted on a separate rim w/o TPMS experience this; esp if they pull away from the garage where the spring/summer wheels w/ TPMS are stored)​

7. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know anything about this except what I would do in your situation.
    Take the car back to DT and tell them to fix it. They are the tire experts. You are the customer paying them money to install new tires.
    Tell them to call the Lead Tire Engineer at national HQ or whatever it takes. Somebody's gotta know how to fix this.
    They are on my short list of go-to vendors.
    My own experience with DT is that they go out of their way to make me happy. I would be disappointed to hear otherwise.

8. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Toyota TPMS is $52.35/each at Camelback Toy.

Doubt Discount would want to go OEM.

I'm sill on original TPMS and 3rd set of tires.

9. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    At that price, I'd go for the OEM TPMS senders. There's not that much savings from aftermarket, uncles they had "cloneable" sensors at the same price.

To increase profits, aftermarket dealers are more likely to use the cheapest available senders available that have good reliability. Since they buy in volume, they will probably NEVER carry genuine Toyota sensors. If they buy from a Toyota dealer, they usually get only a 15% discount from full retail.

I would still get the mini VCI cable with Techstream software, read and record the codes for the current sensors installed in your tires.

If I buy them from Toyota for them to install, I'd record the codes for the NEW ones, even before giving them to the tire dealer to install.

You'll NEVER know what the tire installer will do. They might be so ignorantly confident of their so called scanner, that they might not even record the codes before installing them. Famous last words, I guess. I've seen it happen more than once in many situations.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In my books TPMS is running a close second to the zero mph bumpers, both having problems and expense that eclipses their function.

xpcman and PriusGuy32 like this.
  11. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    On my last visit, they changed the wrong tire; the one with the bulge in the sidewall was still ON the car !!!!

Are you fairly sure that the TPMS sensors are actually still ON the tires ??
    As in, maybe they put on new valve stems, thinking that was a good thing to do.

12. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Only problem replacing with the Toyota sensors, aside from the cost per, is they charge a lot of money to install and re-register them in the ECU. Like mentioned before, Discount Tire is pretty good about making things right so I would give them a chance first. Locally they charge $7.49 each to rebuild, so if they are offering 1/2 off and free labor as a resolve...I would go that route first if there is a guarantee to fix.

#12 frodoz737, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I posed a question a while back: should you get a discount if you've got valves with tmps, since they don't (or shouldn't) replace them.

14. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Get it fixed and send them a bill.

15. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  16. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is that for real? I just had new tires put on my Prius and paid them $$ to get TPMS valves.

17. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If the oem tire sensors were functioning properly prior to the installation of the new tires, there would be NO reason to install new sensors....
    Old tires off, new tires on.....cars computer recognizes the original sensors and you are on-your-way...

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I was in the dark, still not sure, but the (limited) consensus was that you just shouldn't touch the valve/tpms combo, just put on the new tire, balance it.

Are the valves and TPMS one unit? | PriusChat

19. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well-engineered to require replacement whenever the tires are changed. Makes no sense to me, but I'm no engineer (or engineering MBA).

20. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sorry man. We are on 3rd set of tires and never had a TPMS "rebuild kit," performed, and no problems to date. I believe all they do is replace the center valve core. Still original TPMS that came w/ the car too.

EDIT: if one were getting new wheels, maybe I might consider a TPMS "rebuild kit."

#20 exstudent, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    Mendel Leisk likes this.