1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS Inoperable after New Tires at Discount Tire

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by J Skyler, Jan 15, 2015.

1. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Unnecessary repairs are like stealing in my opinion.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Good to know, the TPMS batteries have lasted that long, too.

3. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Tacoma and Prius are my first two cars with TPMS and this is my first tire change with TPMS, so I figured that was just a standard charge when I purchased online. Calling DT now to see how they're going to make this right. Thanks.

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, just the comment about "no DTC" indicates a disparity between the RF scan and the OBDII scan. Many comments here about generic scanners finding no DTC when they are indeed present.

5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I stand corrected.

TPMS rebuild kits have a few more parts beyond the valve core. Amazon link shows some Prius compatible kits and the parts.

Fortunately no issues w/ TPMS despite 3 sets of tires over 7 years, 132K miles.

EDIT: "The whole idea behind replacing the sensor parts is the rubber grommet can deteriorate and dry rot just as easy as the rubber on your tires. Also new parts ensure a clean barrier where your sensor is attached to your rim through the opening to the environment. We recommend it not because we really make money off them, most replacement packs are usually about 2 bucks a tire depending on the vehicle (<$8 most expensive), but to ensure that you get a leak free, "fresh start" to your new tires."
    Post #6 from Toyota Tacoma World.

#25 exstudent, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  6. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    if Toyota is like most car companies, the tpms sensors are siemens or one of a few other manufacurers, not actually made by Toyota, so no need to buy from Toyota. any decent tpms scanner should be able to read the battery life of the sensors. if none of the sensors will communicate with the tool, I'd want to have the numbers read directly off of each sensor, and of course when doing that, see if they've damaged the sensors. if their tire jockey wasn't properly trained, it isn't hard to bust the sensors off the valve stems, and a dishonest guy would just put the new tires on and not tell anyone.

btw, thank our stupid politicians for arbitrarily deciding an "active" tpm system was needed instead of just using the wheel speed sensors to tell if a tire is going flat. the kiss rule always applies to cars.

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did our stupid politicians actually require direct systems?

Or is it the case that the simple indirect systems, i.e. wheel speed sensors, have been unable to meet the performance requirements? From some discussion I see, the more advanced indirect systems are not at all simple.