1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS intergenerational compatibility

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Mannydog, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Mannydog

Mannydog New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My girlfriend is likely about to buy a 2017 Prius 2 with standard rims/tires.
    She has a decent set of stock alloy wheels and snow tires from her current Gen 2 Prius.
    Will the TPMS sensors on her old wheels work with the new Prius?
    Near as I can tell, the wheels are interchangeable, but I'd appreciate guidance here.

2. PghPrime

PghPrime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have the same question going from Gen II (2009) to '17 Prime (assuming sensors same as Gen IV)...anyone?

3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I wrote a bit about this in a previous thread: Need advice: TPMS swap out. Did I blow it? | PriusChat

Briefly, there isn’t enough published information to answer the question for sure, but perhaps @Sandollars or others who may have tried it can share their experiences. If no one answers here, you might try asking at a tire shop; I expect they have more experience with TPMS than most dealers do.

RCO likes this.
  4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am in the process of setting up two sets of wheels for my new Gen 4 Prius. They make programmable TPMS sensors that should be able to be cloned (programmed) to match each existing sensor in my wheels. So I will have two sensors with the same I.D. so to switch over you would not need to reprogram the sensors.

Here is one example of a sensor that can be programmed (cloned) to an existing sensor.

Schrader EZ-sensor

RCO likes this.
  5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure about Gen2, but for Gen3 and Gen4 (including Prime) they both use 315 Mhz TMPS. I am pretty sure Gen 2 is also 315 Mhz, so they are most likely compatible. That said, car will not recognize new set of TPMS unless properly relearned. For Toyota and many other Japanese cars, this requires relearning tool that communicate with car's ECU via OBDII port. To do that you either have to take a car to shop or dealer or buy your own relearning tool. The most cost effective version of this toos is ATEQ QuickSet TPMS Reset Tool (cost $135 online including Amazon).

However, since most TPMS has battery life of 7-10 years, you probably need to replace Gen2 TPMS soon or later, unless they have been replaced recently. It would be easier and cheaper to buy a new set of "clonable" TPMS and copy the ID from your stock TPMS like @padroo above has suggested. Unless you have your own TPMS reprogramming tool, you will have to visit tire shop who is willing to help you to readout the stock TPMS code from your car and program the new "clonable" TPMS and replace them with your old TPMS set from Gen2. Good thing is that you don't have to go back to a dealer or shop for relearning after this initial cloning.

RCO likes this.