1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS issue; C2124, C0210 DTCs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ILuvMyPriusToo, Aug 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi folks! I've had an intermittent (~ once a month) TPMS light triggering on my 2009 Gen 2 (93K). The light initially blinks, goes solid and stays that way, usually turning off days/a week later. Behavior seems random, although the light often, but not always, comes on at a similar place on my commute. Pressures on all 4 tires are fine with a gauge. I know my TPMS sensor batteries are now older and have read other threads on this.

Using a miniVCI, I previously found a C2124 TPMS DTC, "Cannot Receive a Data from the Transmitter ID4". However, the live data showed all four transmitters sending the correct pressure and temperature information, and all four sensor battery voltages "over". Could the light/code trigger from external signal interference? Or are the battery voltage readings not a reliable gauge of sensor health? I rotated my tires about a month ago (to shift the sensor position relative to the vehicle TPMS transmitter in the rear) but that didn't seem to change things.

Rechecking the vehicle today after another TPMS light, I still see a current C2124 DTC (I did not erase that before so don't know if that is new or old; still indicated sensor ID4 but all sensors are operating and voltages are "over") but also a current C0210 ABS/VSC/TRAC DTC ("Rear Speed Sensor RH Circuit"). There is no warning light for that showing on the dash, but sometimes traction lights flicker after a pothole or bump in the road. Should I be concerned about the C0210 DTC if there is no light on the dash?

BTW, the 12 v aux battery is a little over 4 years old. MFD Signal Check voltages are 12.6v in acc mode; 12.2v with headlights on; 14.1 v in ready. So that seems OK to me.

Thoughts on the TPMS and the C0210 DTC? This forum is such a great source of info. Thanks!

2. ILuvMyPriusToo

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just remembered an incident when we had to hit the brakes really hard a few weeks back to avoid someone who pulled in front of us. I suppose it is possible that event might have set the C0210 DTC.

Also, all four tires are relatively new and matched without uneven wear.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do not know why it would be intermittent, except a damaged sensor, or some major issue like brake actuator, which has TPMS but other lights. Damaged sensor is fairly common I believe.

However, if you use miniVCI to reset the codes, it can take 2 weeks maybe more for the Gen2 to catch up with the bad sensor. I am thinking if you just do short trips - which we do these days - the Gen2 TPMS computer does not have enough time to check for an update data point. SO if somehow you are resetting the codes, such as via intermittent good signal, it could take a while for the light to come back on.

On ours, once the TPMS battery was dead, it was dead at 9.5 years...I was hoping the warmer weather would give it more juice, but I did not see any come-back after dead TPMS batt. At some point I will perform an autopsy, but right now it's still in the tire.

PS- You know ID4 is the bad sensor. Maybe wait for a confirmation. Then it's trial and error with miniVCI to figure out which tire ID4 is on.

#3 wjtracy, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  4. ILuvMyPriusToo

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the reply! Did your bad sensor just stop transmitting when the battery died, or did it show a low voltage (as seen on the miniVCI) and trigger off and on as it was going down?

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sudden death to the best of my knowledge.
    It was late winter so I was hoping warmer temps would help but no.
    If there is a period of intermittent batt life, then you might not see that if it refreshes the data banks before the light comes on.