1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS Light After Replacing Front Rotors and Pads

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Ethan Waldman, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Ethan Waldman

Ethan Waldman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi All, I replaced my front rotors and pads (thank you to Nutz About Bolts for the amazing videos!) for the first time and it went relatively smoothly. I disconnected the 12v battery for the job. The passenger side rotor was rusted on to the hub so it took a good bit of convincing with a hammer to get it to break loose.

After the installation, the brakes feel great and the car is driving normally. However, the TPMS warning light flashes when I first start up the car and then stays on solid. From reading other posts on this forum, it sounds like that means there's some kind of malfunction.

Do you normally have to reinitialize the TMPS system after disconnecting the 12v? Could I have damaged a sensor during the brake job?

NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unless you banged the rim by the valve, you couldn't have damages it. It's inside the tire.
    Maybe you have a tire that is low? Check your tire pressures, while cold and adjust as needed.
    Then press the start button without pressing the brake pedal. Press and hold the reset button
    under the steering wheel and watch the icon on the dash. It should flash a few times then go out.

3. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My TPMS light blinks and then goes solid when I put on my winter tires (which has no sensors). The sensors are inside behind the air valve stem of the tire.

Did you check your tire pressure? I think the spare tire has a sensor too, so check its pressure as well. I also recall there is a TPMS reset button somewhere.

If all else fails, I am guessing you may have a faulty TPMS sensor in one of your tires. The batteries inside them eventually die. If you have techstream you can see the pressure reading coming from the tires to narrow down your search.