1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS light keep turning on

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Peng Xiao, Feb 15, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Peng Xiao

Peng Xiao Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Replaced one TPMS at Costco 2 weeks ago, drove much more than 10 minutes 50mph, but the light still on. Took to Costco again today, they made sure pressure is good and used an equipment to connect sensors, said all 4 sensors are working, maybe because of the cold weather, ask me to drive more.
    Anyone has suggestion?

#1 Peng Xiao, Feb 15, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pump up the tyres?

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They may have failed to complete the re-learn procedure. TPMS sensors may be working fine, but if the sensor ID is not registered to ECU, it can not communicate. I have had a tire shop fail to complete TPMS re-learn. The light was off initially but after driving home it came back on. You need a TPMS tool or Techstream to read the registered IDs from the ECU. A dealer can do it, but they may charge your bundle for that. If Costco installed the sensor and tire, they should be able to check it and fix the problem. I hope.

4. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Costco is NOT a place I would go and trust with my TPMS. We took our 2020 F-150 for new tires around December, and the TPMS light was on (it wasn't when we dropped off the truck), so I ran in and grabbed the tech, who came out with some handheld device and did some sequence, stating the light will go off after I drive a few minutes, but the key statement that had me instantly doubt their knowledge, after he went and grabbed his supervisor because he couldnt reset the light was "sometimes it takes a day or two to reset" :confused:.

I left Costco, pulled over at a gas station, and googled "2020 F-150 TPMS light on" and quickly found a video created by Ford on how to very easily reset the light myself. It took 3 minutes, and I was on my way with all sensors reporting pressures on my screen, and no more TPMS light.

tl;dr Costco is not an expert on TPMS.

5. Peng Xiao

Peng Xiao Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I found a video,

But there’s nothing happened after I did the same thing, the screen keeps showing “Hold to reset TMPS” after I hold maybe half minutes.

6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The TPMS Reset from the setting menu is used when you need to reestablish a new threshold tire pressure setting. It assumes your car's ECU already has been properly gone thru the re-learn procedure to program the TPMS sensor IDs. If they aren't programed (aka "re-learned") to ECU, nothing will happen. The only way to do program the ECU is to use a TPMS tool (or Techstream) that can communicate to ECU via the OBDII port. lf the Costco tech did not use a proper tool to do this, your car does not know that a new TPMS sensor has been installed.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had TPMS re-program failure happen not only with Costco, but also with Discount Tire. A return visit quickly fixed each. At least nobody told me that it would fix itself in the next day or two.

#7 fuzzy1, Feb 15, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
    PriusGuy32 likes this.
  8. Peng Xiao

Peng Xiao Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Went to Costco 3rd time for the sensor, a guy fixed the problem by using a handheld tool, finally.

fuzzy1, bisco and Salamander_King like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    fabulous!

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is what they needed to do from the very start. The tool needs to be held to each tire sidewall next to the valve to ping the sensor, then plugged into the OBDII port under the dashboard. While some car brands have easier procedures, Toyota is not one of them.

Sometimes this fails and the tech doesn't notice the error message, requiring a repeat visit, which should be at no charge due to their TPMS legal responsibilities.

11. Peng Xiao

Peng Xiao Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That’s what they did, but after disconnected from OBDII, the guy used the tool to touch each tire ping the sensor again.

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ I don't believe that checking the tires again, after disconnecting from the OBDII port, can do anything beyond verifying that the tool received the correct sensor ID codes the first time around.

Or does it force the car to receive an immediate reading, after it is re-programmed, rather than waiting for up to several minutes?

13. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Pinging the sensors with the ignition ON after programming the car allowed the technician to verify that the TPMS light went out (ie, the car received valid data from the sensors, the sensor IDs were correctly entered, the car determined that tire pressures were in normal range, and commanded the light off).

So yes, that forced an immediate update from the system.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.