1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS light keeps coming on

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by booke02, Sep 29, 2017.

1. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I checked my tyre pressures, and reset the TPMS - message said that the initialization was successful. From time to time, while driving, the TPMS alert comes on.

Yesterday, while sitting in the car waiting to pickup someone, I notice the alert on, so I did a reset. Within about a minute the alert came on again.

1. Any thoughts on my guess that one of the TPMS units is faulty?
    2. If TMPS unit is faulty, how do I figure out which one?
    3. Would it be covered by warranty?

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The dealer can find which one as they respond with their own number to a scan. Finding which wheel it's in is the dealers fun task.
    It may be a bad battery, which would mean a new sensor, as the battery is "cast in place". It may be warranty, but it depends on the warranty offered where you purchased it. Just ask. All they can say is yes or no. You've got a 50/50 chance. ;)

booke02 likes this.
  3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For 2016 car to have dead battery is too early It could have been bad TPMS. Either way, I would think it should be covered by the warranty, though I would not be surprised if a dealer try to argue out of it by saying it is a part of "Tire" that is not covered.

I had failed TPMS sensor replaced. It was 7 years old HONDA, and of course out of warranty. They charged me $200 for a single TPMS for parts and labor. After one was replaced, one after another failed each time costing me $200. Then recently, another failure occured due to corrosion from road salt. This time I was at local tire shop, so I asked them to put a new aftermarket TPMS. The cost was $50 parts and labor. If I've known this, I would have saved $600.

4. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    When I got my new Michelins, I told the guy to remove those sensors. Problem solved. I check my air pressure so frequently, I don't need them.

RCO likes this.
  5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    He might have broken the law...not sure. If you DIY it, fine.

You need a gizmo to read the TPMS pressures, some of us use Techstream and a PC.
    Then you can lower the pressure in each tire to see the wayward tire by process of elimination.
    Car shops have fancier gizmos.
    There was a similar Gen4 story a while back the tire change guy broke the TPMS and agreed to pay up.

6. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Good point. But nobody argued. I never even thought it might be illegal... Maybe he didn't really remove them? I just thought it's another gizmo that I don't need. And I'm certainly not paying $200 to replace one.

Tire Rack has ones for $49.

7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, it's not illegal to drive a car with faulty TPMS, in most states. There are only 4 states that requires working condition TPMS in order to pass state inspection. I recently found out I am not in one of those 4 states. I am not going to fix TPMS next time it's broken. Check here to see if you are in one of those 4 states. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=214&

However, for an automobile service provider to knowingly disable working TPMS constitutes a violation of the “make inoperative” provision of the federal law that mandates tire pressure monitoring systems (TPMS). That's why I can't bring in my car to a tire shop and ask them to put a winter tier on my car without working TPMS.

#7 Salamander_King, Aug 30, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    RCO and Starship16 like this.
  8. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm in California. Not on that list. And I don't ever recall CA having any type of passengers vehicle inspections, other than a smog check every other year. No inspections of tires, or anything else. Just smog. And LA still has the worst air quality in the US, I think.

(And now they charge us an extra $100 per year for driving a hybrid! That's another story.)

Salamander_King likes this.
  9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh tell me about the $100 tax on hybrid!
    If they took it out your tire TMPS you would have the warning light on?

10. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have never seen a tire pressure warning light. He may have not removed the sensors. Maybe thought I wasn't serious? That's ok. No problem. My psi is set at factory specs, plus maybe one pound over. I've never re-set the TPMS.

In California, the voters approved a 40% increase (an extra 12 or 19 cents?) in the gas tax to help pay for road repair / improvements. One story says the state is needing to raise140 billion in order to pay for much neglected work. In July 2020, a $100 annual fee for zero-emission vehicles kicks in, with adjustments for inflation starting the following year. Groups are trying to repeal it, and get it on the ballot in November. I pay an average of $3.69 per gallon in my area... which is very reasonable when you consider what the folks in Europe pay for fuel.

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK but that's $100 for EV? You are paying tax at the pump (and how!).
    Sounds like you still have TPMS.

Starship16 likes this.
  12. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Not sure if the $100 fee is just for all electric vehicles, or if that also includes PIPs and Hybrids. The stories differ. I try not to complain about gas prices, I'm driving a great Prius. ;) I only buy gas about every 5 weeks, and the tank is still not empty.

13. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not all against taxing hybrid and EV for road repair/improvements. We all use same roads, gasser or not. I think gas tax is a wrong way to tax for roads. Afterall, least efficient car pays most for gas but uses the road the least for the equal amount of tax paid in. Maybe they should tax a car by miles driven for each year? Just a though.

Starship16 likes this.
  14. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes, here in La-La Land, that is also under consideration.

Sorry, booke. We hijacked your thread. :) What is the cost of petrol in Israel?

#14 Starship16, Aug 30, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  15. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In preparation for getting winter wheels and tires without TPMS, I purchased this. For $50 for set of 4 sensors and monitor, I am already liking it. It is far better than dumb warning light and internal TPMS sensor in Prius that cannot be changed without visit to a tire shop. The biggest question is durability? However, with my calculation, the cost of adding set of TPMS in winter wheel $50/tire plus the TPMS scan/program tool to do DIY switching or visit to a shop each season will be $300 to $900 for 7 years. Assuming TPMS battery last about 7 years, if this $50 kit last longer than a year, I am already ahead of the game. IMG_20180830_174304.jpg

Attached Files:

Starship16 likes this.
  16. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    With all the technology the Prius has (especially the Prime) the tire pressure should be displayed on the screen, at the push of a button.

17. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yap, I agree. The information is already there. It just need little bit of software programing and display. I got this handy app, Tire Assistant - Apps on Google Play on my phone to see information TPMS sensor is sending to ECU. The problem is that it will not display the information when car is in motion for safety reason. I wanted realtime tire pressure of each tire displayed on the dash when driving.

Screenshot_20180816-153515.png

Starship16 likes this.
  18. Smaug1

Smaug1 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had a leak on my 2012 Accord tire with TPMS. I hadn't curbed it, and the wheels had just been sealed recently. I couldn't find anything in the tire from a cursory look. It was a slow leak, maybe losing 2 psi per week, but that's pretty frustrating in the winter, and if it WAS a puncture, I didn't want it to get worse or cause more damage.

I brought it to the mechanic and asked him to look into it. He couldn't find a puncture either, so he did the ol' soapy water spray tric; lo and behold! it was coming from the TPMS sensor. He said he was not surprised, it is a common failure point. So he replaced it and all was well. I felt like it was just a matter of time before the others failed one by one, but they didn't.

In your case, is it coming on because your tire pressure is low, or is it giving false signals? That will help you troubleshoot it.

19. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Noticed mine came on today. Slow leak in rear passenger. Other than that, no problems whatsoever.