1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS light, once, but pressures fine?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by The Professor, Aug 31, 2019.

1. The Professor

The Professor Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Yesterday, I was driving along, and I glanced at the dash and saw the TPMS light was on amber. There were no beeps or messages that I noticed. Stopped somewhere safe and checked the pressures with a pressure guage and all 4 were at the pressure I always set them to. Not even 1 PSI under on any, but maybe 1 over on some. They were warm from driving though.

Switched the car back on and continued my journey, and another drive this morning, and it hasn't come back on since.

Any thoughts?

alanclarkeau likes this.
  2. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have a full-sized spare tire, check that too.

The Professor and alanclarkeau like this.
  3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sadly - I think a full-sized spare is only offered in your corner of the planet. Definitely not here, or USA - not sure about UK (or EU?)?

The Professor likes this.
  4. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Yeah no spare here. But I've had that exact issue with another car so it's a good catch.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is most likely glitch in the sensor signal or receiver. It is too early for battery failure. If the warning light stayed solid, ECU must have had a problem receiving the radio signal from the sensor. If it recurs, there may be some problem with one of the sensor. This is why the idiot warning system has very limited value. I am using external TPMS on my car to monitor real-time psi and temp. I can see each tire condition whither the car is on or off, parked or driving. End of story.

IMG_20190817_114412.jpg

fuzzy1 and The Professor like this.
  6. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    That looks great. It's a shame there's not such a display available as standard. The hardware required is all there already.

Salamander_King likes this.
  7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The light came on with my C. All pressures checked out. Light stayed on.

Visited dealer and asked them to hook up the scanner/computer to see which tire it thought was bad........that is an available diagnostic option, right ?

Well they ignored what I asked and just did a "retrain/reset" on it, saying that just happens sometimes.
    I could have done that myself.
    Grrrrrrr.

It has been a couple of weeks now and the light has not come back.

8. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    UPDATE: Checked all pressures when cold and they were all a couple of PSI down. Inflated to correct pressure. Reset TPMS. Light came on about 40 miles into a journey. Turned car off then on. TPMS light flashed for several seconds. Then stayed on for a while (at least 30 seconds, but was off when I checked several minutes later). Then went off for remainder of journey. Checked pressures again when cold, and all are exactly what I inflated them to earlier.

Guess I'll take it to the dealer and see what they have to say...

Would this be consistent with a sensor going bad?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been having sporadic, very infrequent false TPMS alerts for several years on my 2012, so far no more than a handful of days per year. When it happens, it can warn a half dozen times in a cross-state trip (400 miles) (usually a hot day), then not happen again for six months. It has happened on both my summer and winter wheel sets, but mostly on the summer set with sensors (and batteries) a couple years newer than the factory set.

Once it started, I took advantage of ScanGauge's brief free firmware upgrade offer to display the TPMS pressures and temperatures. This reveals that the episodes are driven by a single sensor getting missed, going too long without an updated reading. Sometimes no reading is received soon enough after startup, so the display reads -14.5 psi instead of +38-ish. Other times, it holds the last value read, and I can see that one remaining fixed while the other three change with temperature.

In all cases, the car eventually gets a good reading and the warning light extinguishes. But if it happens once on any given day, it is likely to repeat later the same day on long trips.

No proper solution yet.

Prior to these episodes, I had a couple instances of valid TPMS alerts on low tires, once with a fairly rapid deflation. So I can't ignore them, thus keep one ScanGauge field fixed to the TPMS gauges to check out the symptoms.

#9 fuzzy1, Aug 31, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    wjtracy and The Professor like this.
  10. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Didn't happen on the return journey (2 hours).

The only other thing that I can think of is maybe my phone is interfering with it. On both occasions my phone was charging on the passenger seat, and it was actively streaming my location to my wife. Normally I charge it in the central tray, but that's full of other stuff right now.

I wonder where the receiver is for the TPMS.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In most of my events, possibly even all of them, my phone was neither recharging nor had an active data connection, only a voice-text connection. But since mine is a different generation than yours, those sorts of details would likely have different hardware.

Gen2 receiver location: TPMS antenna and receiver location? | PriusChat
    I'm not finding Gen3 and Gen4 locations at the moment.

12. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  13. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Thanks! Alas, that's miles away from the front passenger seat, so probably not the cause.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  14. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder if you were to re-initialise the system if it would help?

Now I'm home - I've copied the other few pages - not sure if it's any help.

upload_2019-9-1_23-8-44.png

upload_2019-9-1_23-9-34.png

upload_2019-9-1_23-10-4.png

upload_2019-9-1_23-11-30.png

upload_2019-9-1_23-12-8.png

15. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Section A in the Diagnosis section says it will blink the light for 30 seconds then stay on. This is what I was experiencing, so that says it's a malfunction in the system.

I'll keep an eye on it, and see if I can figure out a pattern. Maybe take it to the dealer to read the codes.

One thing I did notice is what seems to be a design flaw? The pressure is calculated by the difference between the pressure inside the tyre and the the exit from the valve stem. But if your valve cap is on tight (airtight), and your valve seal has even the tiniest leak, then the outside pressure measured will slowly equalise with the tyre pressure as the air slowly leaks into the end of the valve stem, which may make it think the tyre is going down...

alanclarkeau likes this.
  16. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    If it is always the SAME single sensor failing to report......the solution should be obvious.

17. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Maybe time for me to invest in a ScanGuage. It's a real shame such things aren't available in Torque (Android), but as ELM doesn't support K-Bus that Toyota use for all their extra stuff it'll never happen.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  18. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Techstream is useful you can see the data. Hard to say what is going here, but maybe one TPMS has an internittent reading.

The way it works (on Gen2) it gets a new pressure reading from the TPMS about every 60 secs or so. If the TPMS fails, and stops providing new data, it keeps the old data for potentially weeks if you do short trips. If you finally do an approx. 30 minute trip, the system does a check to realizie it is not getting new data and the light goes on.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  19. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Which is exactly the situation here... Both times happened about 30 minutes into a journey. Or at least that's when I noticed it.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My Gen3 has shown the warning much sooner than 30 minutes after startup. But I won't project that timing to other generations.
    I haven't tracked the warnings through wheel rotations (incidents are very sparse), so don't yet know if it is the particular sensor, or the particular wheel location with respect to the receiver.

But I did note that the first episode with each wheel set, summer and winter (separate wheel/sensor sets, so obviously different sensors), occurred within a month of each other, straddling a seasonal tire swap, before I had the ScanGauge firmware update. The normal interval between episodes since then has been much longer than that.

alanclarkeau likes this.