1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS linked to Traction Control

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Christopher MacIntosh, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Christopher MacIntosh

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi Everyone!!

I am new to the Prius and the community and I just ran into my first issue I was wondering if someone could clarify for me.

I recently purchased new snow tires for the Prius and some steelies for the new tires. I purchased everything at Costco, however, when I went to get everything installed, I realized that the new car had a locking lug nut on it, which I did not have the key for. Costco then proceeded to put the new tires on the new rims and left them in my trunk.

Today I took the Prius into Toyota as we needed to get a new key programmed for the car. While my wife was there, she asked if they could put the winter tires on the car since the summer rims are locked on and we do not have a lug key. The person at Toyota said they could not install the winter tires because the rims did not have TPMS sensor installed.

So my question is, if I put the winter tires on anyway (without the sensors), I'm assuming the TPMS light comes on in the Prius. When the TPMS light is on, am I able to deactivate the Traction Control System of the vehicle? I have heard of not being able to deactivate the Traction Control System in some cars when the TPMS light is on.

Best,
    Chris

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A TPMS is not required in Canada (but it is in the US). If you put a TPMS on your winter tires, then you have to go to a Toyota dealer to reprogram the sensors twice a year and that's expensive. (Why Toyota doesn't allow 8 programmed sensors instead of 4 is clearly a cost cutting measure or one where they feel it won't provide value to most of their customers).

Yes, the TPMS light will just stay on all winter. Of course if you have a short commute and you store your all-season tires near the car, it might still read it and the light will stay off (happened to me when I stored the tires behind the car in the garage).

Also, I thought the TCS-OFF function was only available on the Gen 4 (2016+) and not the Gen 3.

3. Christopher MacIntosh

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You know... I checked the car for a TCS button and I don’t think it exists! I’ve researched and there is a way to deactivate the TCS but it’s a series of button presses, gas and brake presses and blah blah blah. I’m not dealing with that every time I get into the car. It will soon be full-on winter here in Canada and I absolutely hate driving in snow with TCS on. Does anyone know if the TCS can be deactivated using a Mongoose cable?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah the traction control is always on, not tied to the TPMS. And no tpms on the snows is the way to go. You're main issue is the locking nuts. Get them off and then get 4 replacement nuts. These'll work:

upload_2019-11-29_12-21-26.png

What's the story on your "new" car, any recourse from the seller, can you contact them? Also, did you check the tool kit (under the hatch floor tray)? It's the usual location for the key.

Locking nut removal tactics:

#4 Mendel Leisk, Nov 29, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  5. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Since you live in Nova Scotia, you probably have more experience with snow driving than many of us.
    Curious -- why is it better in snow without the TCS?

6. Christopher MacIntosh

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    In Nova Scotia, a lot of what we get in winter is a lot of rain that freezes, and on occasion we do get snow. In short, it gets VERY messy here for driving. I will typically do most of my driving with Traction Control on as it typically doesn’t interfere on a day to day basis. I don’t like it, but it does save on the tires when winter driving, as the Traction Control keeps the tires from spinning when there is no traction to be had. However, there are certain instances when the transfer of rotation from one wheel to another is more dangerous. Two specific examples of this are:

- Quick Unexpected Manoeuvring: stopped in traffic (for a light, waiting to turn, waiting for pedestrians, etc.) and the vehicle behind you can’t stop due to loss of traction, or a vehicle coming towards you loses control and is heading right towards you.

- Navigating Steep Inclines

In those situations, the diversion of power between wheels results in no power, especially in a front wheel drive car if both front tires are in snow or on ice, which is 95% percent of the time when you can’t get traction. With Traction Control off, regardless of how much traction there is, as long as you have decent snow tires one, a free spinning wheel has more chance of grabbing traction than a wheel that isn’t spinning at all.

In 4-Wheel or All-Whee systems, Traction Control is much much more useful. However, on a 2-wheel drive car, it is really dependant on the Traction Control System being used and the type of car. I have a Honda Civic that can’t go up a hill with Traction Control on but can with it off, but I have a BMW 540i that can only make it up a hill with Traction Control on but cannot when it’s disabled. But it’s rear wheel drive so it is a lot easier to move the car because all the weight isn’t over the front wheels. But in my experience, front wheel drive cars are safer in the snow and ice without Traction Control. No Traction Control also allows you to feel the car and anticipate how the car is going to respond. I’ve lived in eastern Canada my whole life and learned to first drive a car in the snow when I turned 16, so I have a lot of experience driving in treacherous conditions (I once drove 5hrs in White Out conditions... terrifying).

I am sure a lot of people may disagree with me. It’s all in how you like to drive, but I’ve definitely saved my own life (as well as many others) driving without TCS on.