1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS psi sensitivity: what is it and can it be changed (or fooled)?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by davekro, Nov 23, 2013.

1. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    At what number of psi (or %?) drop (from set reference level) will a TPMS sensor present a warning on the PIP? (I just reset the reference level per the manual with the button under the dash to 42F, 40 R)

I read a 2010 discussion on the Gen III forum that said an 8 psi drop triggered a warning for their models. What is the spec for our PIP TPMS system and can we adjust it. I read general discussions of TPMS systems that only warned when a 25% drop was sensed. Personally, I'd like a TPMS system to tell me when I was 2-3 psi low. Then I would not need to manually check them with a gauge, or certainly much less frequently. Is that out of the capability of the of the system or technology? Or is it just the manufacturers feeling that most people do not want to be bothered with lights on their dash that often.

Has anyone adjusted their reference tire pressure to say 48, then dropped the pressure back down to the 42 psi you run at and want to maintain (front), then get TPMS warning at say 40 psi? (same with rears but 46, 40 & 38 respectively). Can the TPMS be fooled this way to get a defacto 2 psi loss warning?

This would be cool to be warned of a slight pressure loss so MPG's could be more easily maintained. Why not let the TPMS actually manage the tire pressure more closely (if the owner prefer this)?

2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    On many cars nowadays, you can pull up the pressures on a display, so I'm surprised that the PiP with its display doesn't have that feature. As for a 2-3 psi difference I don't think I would want that feature. The pressures vary during driving and it may keep setting the alarm off.

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The answer to your question of raising the pressure up, resetting the TPMS and then lowering the pressure back down in order to get a 2-3 psig alarm is yes. That will work and has been done by others.

As you stated, and from what I understand from reading this forum, the alarm is set somewhere in the 20-25% neighborhood below the TPMS setting.

4. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the reply. I will raise it and experiment with it. Are people finding that their car's % or psi drop alarm is pretty consistent (on a given car)? or do individual cars vary on their warning differential?

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have not heard much discussion on this subject. My alarm has only come on once when
    I picked up a screw and psi dropped to about 25 by the time I got home.

6. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Today I raised the pressure to 48 front, 46 rear, then reset the TPMS. Then put pressure back to 42 f, 40 r. I will run it like this for a while to see if I get any warnings. Then I'll drop the pressure on a tire one psi at a time. With the car 'on' would the TPMS give a warning with the car sitting still (as I am dropping the psi by 1 at a time? Should I wait 'x' minutes between psi drops to give the TPMS system time to check readings? How often does the system recheck?