1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS question - light comes on after driving, goes off after

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Wolfman33, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Wolfman33

Wolfman33 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Hi all,
    My TMPS light comes on after driving about 10-15 miles. If I stop the car and park it long enough to cool down, the light goes out and it stays out for several days.

I've had the car for 6 weeks now and the TPMS light he has come on 4 separate occasions. Three of those times when I was driving longer than my regular commute and once near the end of my regular commute. In all cases, after I parked the car for awhile, the light was off when I come back to the car later.

I check the tire pressures and none of them appears to be low or not in line with the other tires.

As I understand, TPMS doesn't flag on an increase in pressure and since the pressure would go up as the tires heat up it seems odd that the light comes on as the tires warm up and go out as the tires cool. Then the light stays off for several days.

The car was put in service at the end of model 2013, so I'm guessing that the monitors are a little over 3 years old.

Any ideas? Is one of them failing? How can I tell which?

2. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are you still covered under your warranty? If the TPMS sensors are a little over 3yr, you sound like you are a little under your 3 yr, 36K period. I'd take it into the dealer to get documentation and have them replace the bad one(s), perhaps the set. They can use their computer to see which sensor(s) are not reporting properly.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Read the owners manual as far as pressing the reset button. I don't know if its possible the prior owner liked to jack up his tire pressure and then hit the reset. My 2006 Gen2 I think the alarm is hard set at about 26.5 psig, but I hear later model years owners talking about hitting the reset button to adjust the alarm pressure based on current tire pressures.

After that, failure modes are possible for a sensor. Unfort Toyota does not read out the tire pressures for us on a screen so you'd have to use a device eg Techstream with miniVCI to see the sensor outputs and see what is going on.

4. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The 2010-2011 model has the reset tire pressure button, the newer model such as the 2012-2014 doesn't have it...

As for investing in a Techstream miniVCI, I agree with this since it cost around 100-110$ just for a diagnoses on your vehicle. So its better to buy the device since its around 60-70$ on ebay. All you need is a working window 7 laptop. :)

wjtracy likes this.
  5. ILuvMyPriusToo

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1. It isn't hard to find that for <$25 now. Once you get it working, the software will tell you the current pressure and temperature of each sensor as well as its set point. By bumping the pressures up or down you can figure out which sensor ID is on which wheel.

These sensors sometimes can be flaky, particularly as they get older. Sometimes they just fail (wjtracy's experience) and other times they become intermittent (my current situation). However, if these still are under warranty, I would get it into a dealer and let them figure it out.

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    My 2012 has the TPMS reset button.

Sounds like a failing sensor. Fail when warm. Dealer service will have to use a heat gun to find it.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Heat Gun = Interesting idea....other approach is to change pressure and watch (via Techstream) which tire moves...takes a couple minutes for a pressure change to register.

#7 wjtracy, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's maybe preset to the door jamb pressure??

9. Wolfman33

Wolfman33 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Good stuff, thank you.
    This morning I did the reset, I do have the button. It will take a few days to see if it makes a different.
    I'm looking at getting the a techstream mini vci. I'll have some questions about that soon I'm sure, but I'll see what I can find in the search first.

I think it's worth checking with the dealer on warranty.
    But if I have to replace them, and it's not under warranty, I suspect that the dealer might be a bit more expensive than other options, so I'll be looking for my options there too.

I'll touch base here again soon with an update.

Thanks,
    Jim

10. ILuvMyPriusToo

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Techstream will show a DTC naming the sensor if the ECU loses communication with it (it is held if communication restored). Then just bump the pressures manually one at a time to figure out what tire matches that ID.

11. Wolfman33

Wolfman33 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Ok, here's my update and I still need help. I did a reset with the reset button. Using a techstream, I identified which tires went with which codes and set the tire pressures and printed so that I had a record. I haven't had a light until tonight. I even did a 500+ mile trip this past weekend without a TPMS light.
    Then tonight the light came on about 10 or 15 miles into a drive. I connected the techstream and two of the TPMS sensors were not reporting, (showing as N/A on the techstream.) It was both of the front tires.

This leads me to believe that it isnt' the sensors themselves since it would be unlikely that two of them would fail at the same time. So I think it must be the receiver on the car. As if there were a front antenna and a rear antenna and the front antenna stopped working. I don't know the range of the TPMS system, and I don't know if there are separate antennas or not for the front and rear, I'm just speculating. I've read where people had a TPMS on a tire in the garage still reporting so there must be more range to these things than a couple of feet, but logically, it seems that there must be a reason on the car that the pair of sensors stopped reporting at the same time.

Any ideas?

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Have you checked if it's out of warranty? I'd assume yes, but just to ask.

Personally, I would just do nothing, check tire pressures more frequently. The system seems to be a cash cow. But I also know how easy it is to get drawn into making it right, fixing it. But this is one case I'd just hang in there, ignore it.

mmmodem likes this.
  13. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I can only think of one reason for the "dropout" of the sensor readings, and that's interference. It's -possible- one of the coils in the ignition system is causing the interference. I'm pointing there because you said it's the fronts. It could also be a bad or noisy headlamp "ballast" if you have the LED or HID lamps. Especially if you have aftermarket ones.

Anyway, someplace else to look.

14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not sure if you are orig owner, but the most likely explanation seems to me 2 bad sensors. You can try my trick (search TPMS Management with Techstream) I got a spare Gen2 TPMS and put it in a binder clip...now it reads 49 psig and I am using the bogus reading from under the front seat to silence my TPMS light. I used Techstream to enter the new code of the "bogus" TPMS. Not sure if the trick works with all Denso TPMS...but even without the binder clip you should read zero psig and 80 deg F whatever tire temp.

15. Wolfman33

Wolfman33 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I'm the second owner. I've had it for almost three months now. I bought it from a Toyota dealer. It had the Toyota Certified designation so i dont know if it helps. It has 28k miles but it is over 3 years.

16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota should probably fix it for you (not sure the certified agreement), but the implication is the prior owner maybe did some rotations with winter tires or something and maybe swapped out the TPMS. I am going on over 10-years old for 3 out of 4 TPMS (one died at 9.5 years).

PS- the other thing you can do on Techstream is re-enter your existing codes in reverse order. This would re-assign the codes and you could see that the registers work when given a valid TPMS signal.

#16 wjtracy, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  17. ILuvMyPriusToo

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Or rotate your tires, front to back. I believe there is only one antenna and it is in the rear of the vehicle. If the MIA sensors show up then, they may have weak batteries (and thus need replacement anyway).

18. ILuvMyPriusToo

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Of course the easier suggestion (already made) is to see if it is covered on your CPO warranty and just have the dealer fix it! That is generally one year coverage for manufacturing/QC issues. This is not a wear item. I'd ask to have all 4 done since 2 already have failed.

19. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think you lost the TPMS lottery. Statistically, someone will have their sensors fail prematurely. If it were me, I'd have Americas Tires see if they can recondition it to work. They are my go to tire installers. Failing that I'd put a sticker over the light and check tire pressure regularly like I do on every other vehicle I own.

20. Wolfman33

Wolfman33 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    The light went back out this afternoon. This time was the longest it took to go back out.

The reason I think outs on the car end and not the sensor end is that it went from a no light status to the light coming on. I pulled over right away and connected the laptop and two sensors weren't reporting. So I assume it would be too coincidental that they would both quit at the same time, unless an outside force was causing it. But I didn't hit a bump anything like that that I can recall.

I do think it's worth checking with the dealer, it's either under warranty or it isn't, I won't know until I ask.

I like the trick with the binder clips... It would be a good way to isolate the problem to car or sensors. Likewise a rotation, would shed some light. If I rotate and then get another failure, and the failure moves to the rear, it's the sensors, if the failure stays on the front, it's the car.

In the end, I am tempted to just use a piece of electrical tape and cover the light. But I put up with a lot of non-working things in my old car. I really want everything to work in my new car.

#20 Wolfman33, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    mmmodem likes this.