1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS Question....Mystery ????

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by CLUBGUY, Mar 27, 2013.

1. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Installed a set of OE wheels/tires w/OE sensors...(purchased from PriusChat-private sale forum)..I new the different sensors would have to be synced/initialized to the "v" system....On my first test ride the dash tpms warning light did NOT come on for the first 7+ miles..??...I sort of expected it to come on sooner although I have no experience with the workings of any TPMS....Then it came on and remained on for about four days then it went OFF/OUT and has been OFF/OUT for two days now...Any thoughts on what is going on....??????...........This is a mystery..!!!...????

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Interesting, indeed. I wonder if the system does in fact self-set to new TPMS transponders and the dealer visit is a convenience not a necessity?

3. PosauneGuy

PosauneGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Where are your old OE wheels/tires/sensors? If stored near where you park your vehicle, it may have registered the original sensors again. The TPMS warning light comes on about 20 minutes after not detecting the sensor signal. Once it does come on, it stays on until it "sees" the associated sensors. My guess is that your original wheels/sensors are still near the vehicle when parked and that's why the light went out.

4. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That is certainly a posibility; they (the original set) is stored, until I sell them, about 20' from the vehicle....BUT if the original sensors, as you state, were re-registered (light goes out/off)...would not the warning light reappear, after a time, when I drive the vehicle away from the OE set...??
    Thank you for your input...you may very well be on the right path...going to try some things before I take the "v" to my local tire shop to sync the sensors....nothing to sync at the present time....
    Still somewhat "stumped-in-Cincinnati"

5. PosauneGuy

PosauneGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just went through the winter season with snow tires on different rims with no TPMS and regular tires (with TPMS) stored in the garage. My experience the last few months has been if I drive for less than 20 minutes, the light never comes on, even if I drive for 15 minutes, turn the car off and then drive another 15 minutes. Once I exceed 20 minutes, the light comes on. When I return the car to the garage, sometimes it will register the sensors and sometimes it doesn't. So I have gone several days where I park the car in the garage, but the light stays on. Similarly, I can keep the light off, if I can keep all my drives under 20 minutes.

6. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm digesting all the info received and it could very well be the 20 minute window...been taking short trips; maybe when I take a trip longer than 20 minutes the tire pressure warning light will come on.....we will see....

Appreciate all the input...If I solve the mystery with everyone's assistance, I will post it....

7. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Finally took a longer trip; warning light "came on" as you stated it did in your situation....Seems like the mystery is NO MORE...
    Thanks to all....I will now have the sensors synced to my system.....

Chazz8 likes this.