1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS question.

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by MSAGRO, Apr 5, 2018.

1. MSAGRO

MSAGRO 2010 Prius Five with Advanced Technology Package

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    A523C1A8-2E42-4FE1-AD7A-694BDF731F9C.jpeg I just upgraded to 17 inch wheels from stock 15 inch wheels.

The tire shop transferred the original TPMS’s to the 17”’s

Predictably, the tire warning icon came up on my dash after about 20 miles of driving.

Flashes for one minute, then a steady glow indicating a sensor fault.

My original plan was to go to the Toyota dealership and have them reset the TPMS through the OBD-II plug, But apparently it’s more complex than that. They actually have to take off the tire and read codes on each TPMS module.

Not under warranty, because my decision I’m putting 17 inch to look really cool, but is this seem to be correct? Toyota is going to charge me $129 to have this done.

Has anyone upgraded their wheel size and have the same issue?

2. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Does your Prime have a TPMS reset button under your dash near the brake pedal like my wagon ? Take a flashlight & look, here's a picture of it.
    IMG_20180405_190641.jpg

Here's a video of TPMS reset using the menu on your dash for newer models:

#2 Rob43, Apr 5, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Were the tire pressures on the 17's significantly lower than the 15's. I suspect not, and barring that, I'd speculated one or more of the sensors got damaged in the transfer. Also, If they did transfer the sensors over, there would be no need to reinitialize them, that's only required with replacement sensors.

Oh btw: you did check tire pressures were ok??

fuzzy1 likes this.
  4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Another member mentioned something like this.
    I don't know if it is possible to set the low alarm so high you are setting off the alarm.
    So if you hit RESET you should reset alarm levels. On my car, 26.5 psia seems to be the default alarm setting, but you might be able to set it higher.

In order to understand what is going on, you would need to read the pressures using a device such as Techsteam with mni VCI. Then you could see what the pressure/temp readings are. Conceivably the new rim needs a different TPMS, although they seem hard to damage.

5. PHV PLS

PHV PLS Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    This happened to me when I took out my sensors when I powered coated my wheels.. so you have to set them all low PSI keep the car on for 5 minutes for the car to register the psi. Then put the correct air amount in tires. Then turn on the car leave it on for 5 minutes and it’ll read the new psi again. It might take longer but it will go away (y)

6. MSAGRO

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The prime does not have a manual TPMS reset button like the earlier Prius.

When I got to the TPMS function from the steering wheel and gotto the part where you press the center round button to re-initialize, nothing happened. I held the button down for at least 30 seconds hoping for a change and it didn’t happen.

Not going to mess with that I’m just going to have the dealer do it.

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe it just takes a bit longer? (n)

upload_2018-4-6_7-31-37.png
    It'd be nice if the manual gave some sorta idea, how long it takes.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The later sentence is false. They read the codes through the tire sidewall with an RF reader device. They can do it in the parking lot, no need to take the tires off the car at all. Any modern tire shop has the RF reader / programmer to do this. Probably for free, if they did the previous tire work for you.

And to repeat several other replies, this is completely unnecessary if the same TPMS sensors are still being used. That car already knows those IDs.

If a sensor is damaged and needs replacement, then they must dismount the tire from the wheel rim. But that RF reader device would be used first to determine which unit(s) is not responding, they don't need to remove all the wheels.
    For simple resetting, this is absurd. A few years ago, my Subaru dealer wanted $70 to reprogram a new sensor set to the car, the closest tire shop wanted $20. With two TPMS cars in the household, and twice yearly tire swaps for winter, I now am equipped to do it myself.

If that price includes replacing a bad sensor, it is more reasonable, but a tire shop will still probably be better.

#8 fuzzy1, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    Lucifer likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Again, if no sensors have been replaced, there should not even be a need to read sensor id's, the car should know about them already. Assuming this is true:

Nothing has changed with the sensors. You went into a tire shop, they took the sensors (that the car knows about, and they were functional) out of one rim, transferred them to another. There should be no problem. Unless:

1. Tire pressures are now significantly lower (You have checked? If this turns out to be an actual low pressure, we can all ROTFL.).
    2. They damaged a sensor.
    3. They replaced one or more sensors.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    TPMS an area where you want to take your time, because some shops are cheap and some are expensive. Helps to be able to use SCAN Gauge and Techstream to read out your info to debug what is happening.

I had hoped the video above applied to newer model Prii as far as reset. I got the first TPMS year (2006) and dang it 3 of 4 TPMS are still working will be 12 years in July.

11. MSAGRO

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ***UPDATE***

My Toyota dealer was going to do a scan and reset for free. But when they did the diagnostic nothing was working.

What the diagnostic did reveal though was apparently the tire shop that mounted my new wheels broke one of the OEM TPMS, and replaced it with a generic one.

That of course did not work with the other three, and the Toyota dealer had to replace it with an OEM one. The full charge was $215.

I called the tire shop, and they are paying the full amount by check that will be mailed to me so no harm no foul.

Mendel Leisk and wjtracy like this.
  12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interplay with the other three should not matter. The car just needs to be able to read the new one, and have it registered to the ECU. It was the tire shop's error for not having done that reprogramming, or even in using a type of TPMS that can't be recognized by your Toyota.

I would have started with the tire shop to fix this in the first place.
    At least they took responsibility, good for that step.

13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Alls well that ends well.
    It is odd that the tire place did not know how to enter the codes and get the system back up and running. I like the OEM but one would think they knew how to match with a compatible clone. But my tire place did like it when I bought my own OEM off Amazon for them.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  14. MSAGRO

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I had a done at a place called Discount Tire, a pretty large tire shop here on the west coast.

The technician there said that they couldn’t diagnose it because my car was too new (2017)… And suggested I go to the dealer to have it diagnosed. I’m glad I did because they had the correct part to get it corrected.

15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I only wish we had Discount Tire here...

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is odd. Not only has Discount Tire provided (sold) new working sensors for my second wheel set, and correctly programmed them to my Gen3 Prius, they even came out to the parking lot and re-did the programming, for free, a year later when I temporarily lost a set of sensor codes. (Had I looked through my computer files a few minutes longer, I'd have found them and avoided the shop visit.)

My the car was several years old at that time, allowing plenty of time for their programmers to be updated. Les Schwab ran into the same 'too new' issue when my Subaru was only a few months old.[/quote]

17. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I also use Discount Tire, and generally like them. But one of their young employees managed to rip the interior door release handle off the inside of the driver's door of my Sienna, and they cross-threaded a lug nut on my Maxima. That only cost two days of productivity screwing around with the repairs.

I also got a set of tires that had been deformed (at least one of them) during shipping. Apparently, when they ship tires from overseas, they compress them, and they don't always bounce back properly (they said belts get deformed or something like that). So I took a 4,000 mile cross-country round trip with my car pulling to the left. They replaced all four tires when I got back, and that really can't be said to be their fault. Some guys have all the luck!

They should not have cross-threaded that lug nut of mine, and they should not have replaced your sensor without telling you. That I would fault them for. Still, I'll continue to buy from them.