1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by GreenGene, Oct 25, 2007.

1. GreenGene

GreenGene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I understand from other threads that the sensors for Tire Pressure Monitoring System in the Prius are attached to the tire valve stems and rims, and that it's important to let the tire installer know about it.

Well, I just got back from Merchants Tire, and the guy I talked to said they replace all valve stems unless they are custom. But the Prius valve stems aren't custom - they came that way.

Do I

(1) try to explain (wondering all the while why, with all the Priuses around here, I should need to explain)
    or
    (2) try someplace else?

Also, if the owner's manual has any useful information about the TPMS sensors and just where they are with regard to the tires, I'd love to know on what page(s) that information appears. I have a feeling that I would be advised to take something in writing to Merchants before they believe me .... but at that point, will I be able to trust them?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Tell him they wheels have sensors on the stems and to leave them alone.

Tom

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    they mean replaceable valve stems. these are not replaceable. unless they've got $400 or so to reimburse you.