1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by taggart, Dec 29, 2008.

1. taggart

taggart Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As we were airing up the family vehicles, my smart aleck son asked me a question about the Prius.

I normally run 42/40. Prius was at about 36/34 so we brought them back up. As I was resetting the TPMS (the light had not come on, obviously), he asked why I was doing that. "Shouldn't it retain the setting from the last time you reset it?"

Well, is he right? Am I just waking up to this?

2. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have had my Prius for almost two years and never touched the reset button. I have run everything from recommended pressure to 42/40. And now have even put on a new set of tires and am running them just over the recommended pressure at 37/35. I have never had the warning light come on yet.

3. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The "alert" pressure is 75% of the set pressure (when you press the set button). You only need to do the reset if you're changing the target pressure in the tires.

This would be if you're increasing the pressure from the factory pressure, or if you're rotating the tires (because the front two have a higher pressure).

If you're just refilling the tire to the previous set pressure, you don't need to reset anything.

4. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe your son read the Owner's Manual...

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Uhh, you don't need to reset the system when you rotate the tires either. It doesn't care where the wheels are on the car. If -any- tire drops more than 25% in pressure from when you -last- set the TPMS, then you get a light. It can't sense where the tire is.

6. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This brings up a side question: what does the TPMS use as the warning level? 75% of the average of the 4 sensors polled when reset? 75% of the lowest of the 4 at reset? Something else entirely?

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, each sensor sends its reading to the TPMS ECU- it will kick the warning light on when any of those 4 sensors reports a 25% loss. remember they have individual ID numbers and are separately identifiable.

if you collected the average, that would create a lot of problems when only one tire went flat. ;)

8. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Okay, but that also means that one should consider resetting when one rotates tires, because of the pressure differential front/rear.

9. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That's what I meant -- if you keep 42/40 front/rear and rotate the tires back to front, you'll have 40/42. You should then add 2 pounds to the front and let 2 pounds out of the back, then reset the TPMS. The TPMS tracks each tire by the sensor serial number, not by its position on the car.

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yes, any time you change the set pressure in your tires, you should reset the TPMS. if you are refilling them to the set pressure after a loss, say it gets cooler outside or something, you do not need to reset.