1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Eddie25, Dec 3, 2019.

1. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wow, glad I didn't get one of those. Autel TS-508 does let you manual input, pinging existing sensor, or generate a "random" ID for a particular car.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I use an ATEQ VT30 which reads sensors, and their Quikset for reading from / programming to the car. The Quickset PC app keeps a file on an old PC with seasonal tire sets for multiple vehicles, and allows manual ID entry.

3. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I got the 508 on black Friday.

I'm still curious exactly what the TPMS tools are doing that then allows for manual ID input, being as I was unable to do manual ID input with techstream alone. I find TPMS pretty annoying since it seems like constant missing information, or incorrect/vague terms or whatnot (again, it could just be me), this thread being a perfect example (thought I had bad TPMS for years despite a rather robust amount of research).

Edit: read through the thread again, and I guess I was given the correct info about "waking-up" the sensors, so I was a bit wrong in my thinking. If anyone has more info or links about what that is exactly, I'd love to know. Is there a tool that JUST does "waking-up" for people that have a scanner with ID programming capability?

#23 Eddie25, Jan 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With the upcoming dearth of Prius options from Toyota Canada, I may move on from Toyota. So far (12 years with our 2010) I've done fine without TPMS sensors on our snows, so I suspect I'll never get around to TPMS programming.

I know of one manufacturer, Mazda, who has managed to implement in-tire sensors that are automatically recognized when you (for example( swap between all-seasons and snows. It may take one initial visit to dealership. Mazda dealerships around here are also good for offering good snow tire packages, comprising several snow tire options, with compatible Mazda steel rims (silver painted, with decent looking Mazda looking centre-caps), and TPMS sensors, everything initialized and ready to go.

That's a world of difference from my experience with a nearby Toyota dealership in 2010. When I phoned them they said the Prius was a "flagship" vehicle, no steel rims were available/compatible, and I'd be looking at around $450 CDN per, for rims, for starters. With a lot of runaround I scored a package from another dealership: they "thought" a Corolla steel rim would work, and I got plain valves. Worked out, but...

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe I've missed something? Manual ID input is the only option Techstream does have! You go to Chassis / Tire Pressure Monitor / Utility / ID Registration, and you have to manually enter all four IDs (even if you've only replaced one sensor and the other three are the same) and you're done.

#25 ChapmanF, Jan 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
  6. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just curious how this works. If another car (or wheel) is closer to your TPMS module than your rear wheels, will your car pick up the SN from the other car and delete one of your TPMS sensors in your rear tires?

7. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes and no. I am now on a second car that has an automatic TPMS re-learn function. One was Pathfinder. The second one is Escape. Both of them have tire pressure display on the dash so I know which tire has what psi visually, unlike Prius. In both cases, the TPMS does not pick up a signal until after a few miles of driving, so having another car with a compatible TPMS sensor parked next to it does not matter. The TPMS sensor IDs are recognized each time the ECU module verifies the pressure, so they are dynamically registered to the ECU. For those cars that have positional sensors, the car can tell which sensor (thus wheel/tire) is at which corner of the car without registering anything. After rotating the wheels, the corresponding location of the TPMS sensor psi is displayed on the new corner of the car.

The only time I had a problem with TPMS was when I had a set of winter tires with a separate cloned set of TPMS sensors installed on the rims at a shop and had to bring them back in the car. Yep, the car essentially had 8 wheels (two sets of identical IDs) that are constantly moving along with the car. It could not distinguish which tire (sensor) was installed in the tires that were spinning. I had a TPMS warning light coming on and off all the way home from the tire shop.

PriusII&C likes this.
  8. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think I worded it bad. I was unable to get my TPMS to work with techstream manual ID input alone. From my experience, you can't just purchase TPMS, install them, input the ID with techstream and have it work, there is some type of "wake-up" thing that the TPMS tools are doing. My assumption is that once you have woken up the sensors, then manual ID input would work.

9. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Most all of these kinds of tools are designed for people who already understand the system and know what they are doing.

The sensors in the wheels transmit data (pressure, temperature, battery condition, & ID) at regular intervals, or if pressure changes rapidly). To extend battery life, the sensor has an accelerometer and goes to sleep if it doesn't detect rotational movement.

To test sensor function you need to spin the tire at around 20mph, let out 5psi or more quickly, or "ping" the sensor with a tool that transmits the correct radio signal. Then you can see if the car recognizes the sensor or the data is displayed on your TPMS or scan tool.

So there are tools that do things with the sensors, and there are tools that do things with the car (TPMS ecu). Some tools can do both.

The most basic TPMS tool has a few buttons and can ping most sensors, that's all. MAYBE it has a usb port and you can read the sensor data on a laptop with the tool connected.

The next step up is a tool that has a LCD screen that pings the sensor and can display the data. An example of this is the (obsolete) Autel TS401. Replaced by the TS408.

Above that is a tool that adds the ability to connect to the car via OBD2 cable. This tool can ping sensors on the car, then write those IDs to the TPMS ecu. This would be the Autel TS501 / TS508 or similar "high end" tools.

Side note on writing IDs to a car. Some brands are like Toyota- the IDs are entered by inputting digits on a scantool or using a TPMS tool that does the same automatically. Both connect to the OBD2 port.

Other brands have to be put in a "programming mode" with a scantool or button input sequence. Then it will learn each sensor as it is pinged in sequence.

A third design has the car learn the IDs automatically. (Huh, I keep receiving data from these 4 sensors, they must be MINE).

If you get a "direct fit" sensor (such as OE), it already has its own ID number. So get the correct sensor for the car, then write/learn the ID to the ecu.

Now we add "universal" sensors to the mix. TPMS sensors can be work on two different frequencies, and have different message protocols. So you need a compatible programming tool to "tell" the sensor what year - make - model car it's going into. Then it needs an ID number. Every TPMS sensor has its own "unique" ID- usually an 8 digit hexadecimal number.

The tool can create a random ID, or it can ping a working sensor (that needs replacement) and clone it, or you can manually input the ID on the (autel) tool. These sensor programming functions are part of the TS408, TS501, TS508 (and higher). IDK if any of these tools can program any sensor besides their own brand.

So you can "program the sensor" or "program the car".

Other brands like Bartec & Ateq have their own versions of these tools.

10. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III

Thanks for the info, this is mostly what I've gathered through research and trial and error, but that's possibly the most succinct I've seen it put and 'pinging' is the word I was looking for.

So is waking a sensor up by rotating it at over 20mph (or 5psi tire pressure change) different than 'pinging' it with a tool?

from a website:

"A sensor in the tire does not receive signals for the vehicle at 315 MHz or 433 MHz. Instead, they are “excited” or “pinged” by a signal at 125 MHz coming from a TPMS tool or antennas on the vehicle. The 125 MHz signal does not have any information. It just tells the sensors to transmit."

The way this is worded makes it seem like 'pinging' with a tool is the same as manually waking-up it up, but that would imply that using a manual wake-up technique would allow you to register ID's with techstream alone, which I tried and couldn't get to work.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's just what I did, though, so our experiences don't match. There is nothing in the repair manual about any extra step being needed, and I didn't need one. I'm not sure what went wrong in your case, but something did.

The wand-style tools need to wake up the transmitter so it will transmit its ID and the wand can pick it up.

If you already have the ID because you read the label on the sensor, typing that number into Techstream does not require the sensor to be awake.

12. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III

Oh weird. I asked a few times if anyone ever got this to work, but no one spoke up, thanks for letting me know.

I guess I'll try again when I switch my wheels back out in the spring, mainly just out of curiosity, but man I tried several times and even did the deflating thing and nothing ever worked.

Did you do any procedure at all to wake the sensors?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As far as I know, they wake up when you drive, or when the pressure changes a lot. Between those times, they sleep. That seems to be the way the system's designed to work, and it seems to get the job done.

14. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As far as the sensor goes, pinging it, changing tire pressure, or spinning the wheel all do the same thing- cause it to transmit data.

Using a mid or high level TPMS tool to ping it lets you see if the sensor works (& read the ID once it's already installed).

In Toyota's "world", you have the correct part number TPMS sensor for your car. You make note of the ID # that's stamped on the sensor before you install it (or "read" it with a tool afterwards). You use Techstream to write the ID to the ecu- waking the sensor isn't part of the procedure.

IF: you have the correct sensor, AND that sensor works, AND the sensor ID is written to the ecu (AND there's no faults with the ecu/car), THEN the system should work normally.

Side note, I have seen a couple times on Toyotas where the data on a scantool (and the TPMS light) wouldn't update by pinging the sensors with the car running but stationary. I had to actually drive the car. IDK if that's the case for Prius.

15. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Get this to wake the sensors
    VXDAS TPMS Relearn Tool for GM Jeep Ford Toyota Nissan/Honda/Mazda/BMW Series Vehicles Ultimate EL-50448 Universal Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor TPMS Reset Activation Tool 2022 Edition https://a.co/d/1KYhXpx

Get a big harbor freight magnet
    50mm Round Magnet

And get a big hammer to whack the tire. It helps wake up the sensor when you're holding the activator next to the valve stem:
    2-1/2 lb. Drilling Hammer with Hardwood Handle

get techstream
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/225270763067?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=nZ7WbNjeRrm&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=29zLizZDR5S&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Get a cable
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/403885098871?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=R2f3tyBbRXi&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=29zLizZDR5S&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Type in the codes that are on the back of the new 315MHz sensors
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/363738707715?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=of0rzhy2rbo&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=29zLizZDR5S&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Watch vid

#35 douglasjre, Jan 4, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2023