1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS sensor observation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusGuy32, Dec 28, 2012.

1. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When I bought my 2007 in September, the seller gave me a brand new set of Michelin X-Ice snow tires on regular steel rims to use in the wintertime, in addition to the LRR tires on the factory alloy rims that were already on the car. I swapped on the snow tires yesterday and was surprised my TPMS light hadnt come on, and Ive driven about 100 miles so far over 2 days. I previously assumed that the past owner cheaped out and didnt have TPMS sensors installed.

Well, it looks like the snow tires DO have TPMS sensors in them, based on the appearance of the valve stems. (y)

Apparently the Prius can have 8 tires (2 sets of 4) worth of TPMS sensors programmed into it?! Which Im pretty sure is unusual. Or is my TPMS light going to come on tomorrow now that Ive celebrated too soon? lol

Most cars only allow for 1 set of 4 tires to be programmed into the TPMS. Interesting....

2. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sounds like the snow tires have TPMS sensors in them that are programmed to duplicate the serial numbers on the standard set of wheels.

3. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Prius can only have 1 set of 4 sensors programmed in. Either, as RobH stated, the other sensors are programmed with the same IDs as the first set (possible, not very common yet) or the old tires w/ sensors are close enough to your car when you park at home that it's picking up the signal from them each time you start the car.

4. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the replies!

I cant imagine the tires being close to the car have anything to do with it as I work every day 15 miles away and run errands often for work. So the TPMS definitely would not be picking any signal from the summer tires there!

If the TPMS light doesnt come on today, Im going to assume the sensors on the snow tires were programmed to duplicate the summer tires like you guys mentioned (Learn something new every day around here!) :D So I guess the Prius can only have 1 set of 4...dang and I thought I had some kind of special Prius with a goose egg programmed into it or something (haha jk). Now I know that it is possible to program duplicate sensors with the same wireless ID's....got it.

5. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There's some number of starts and/or time or distance driven between communication with the sensors before the light will actually illuminate to indicate a problem.

I've only seen one company that sells TPMS that you can program the sensor ID into it. Some tire shops may have and sell them (I've seen at least one poster here that got a set).

It'd be interesting to find out for sure some point, but that's probably years down the line before you'll need both sets of tires and get a chance to hook up to have something read the IDs that are programmed.

6. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    After doing a google search, some guy on a Tacoma forum changed his tires to NON-tpms tires, and it took 3 weeks for the light to come on. Over that 3 week period, he claims to have driven 2500 miles. :coffee:

If/when the TPMS light illuminates (or not) Ill check in and update this thread!

7. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    When I had a 2007 and ran winter tires without TPMS it took one hour of non-stop driving to get the TPMS warning light to come on. So maybe you've been doing all trips less than 1 hour?

And then it would sometimes turn off again when it got in range of the tires that weren't on the car, but stored in a nearby shed.

8. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ....light has still not come on. Its only been 9 days though.

9. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Dangit!! I jinxed myself...lol. Today, after driving for 1 hour, the light started blinking and is now illuminated :mad:

dorunron likes this.
  10. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, it was about ten days ago when you swapped to the snow tires and the alternate wheels. I wonder if when you put the regular tires and wheels back on if it will take ten days before the light goes off.

Interesting string though. ;)

One thing for sure, I learned something new! :D

Ron

11. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah me too! Now that Im back home in my parking spot, the summer tires with the TPMS sensors are about 10' away in the garage. I wonder if the TPMS will sense them and turn back off? That way, I can plan all my trips to be under 1 hour in duration and I wont have to see that light til spring :whistle: hehe

12. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Baugh!! Went to the tire shop today, my snow tires do in fact have TPMS sensors in them but the front 2 tires are dead.

$100 for 2 new TPMS sensors installed, out the door, turns out during re-syncing the new sensors, the rear right one dies!! Now they are recommending I replace the back 2 sensors now too for another $106.

I'd rather save the money and spend it on something else but now I already have $106 invested in fixing it....:mad: :mad:

13. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They wrote a CW song several years ago, lyrics went something like this:

If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. Gloom, despair and agony on me.... If you are old as I am you might remember this from "Hee Haw". :LOL:

Ron

14. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well thats my song today :(

Brought the car back after work, they replaced the right rear TPMS sensor now. They closed at 6 and wouldnt you know it... at 5:55pm the kid comes out from the back, says "heres your keys. Oh the TPMS light is on but it will turn off with some driving" :mad:

In other words, "Im done for the day, dont have time to sync the sensors, guess you'll have to waste more of your time while we screw up your car some other day!". I was pretty mad. And the kid left his half drank soda in my car - the nerve.

Anyway, I tried resetting it with the TPMS button under the steering wheel, of course it wont reset. It goes through the notions, but in the end the light just comes back on solid. Arrrrgggghhhhhh

15. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hmmm, sounds to me like you need to talk to someone a little higher up and let them know what is going on. I hope those guys did not charge you more money and still not fix your car.

I know the feeling about stuff left behind in cars. I try to keep ours pretty clean inside and under the hood. Sometimes the tech's can get pretty sloppy with the fluids. One time I had our Pri at Toyota for a typical 5000 mile service. When they brought it out, I popped the hood to check the oil level and eyeball everything. I found coolant splattered all over the inverter and on top of the bottle, as well as the black radiator cover. I left the hood up, and went and got the head honcho over service. It took him about two minutes to get someone out there, and take care of it. Needless to say, the head guy was not very happy when I showed him what I saw. I could hear him chewing the tech out while I was standing outside by the car. Anyway, they took the car back in. Spent 15 minutes cleaning up under the hood, and then took it around to the wash rack. When it came back to me it was washed, wiped down and vacummed.

Bottom line, if they don't do it right make sure they fix it before you leave. Even it is closing time.

I hope they will get you straightened out soon.

FYI, You are not alone with TPMS problems. Saw this on another part of PC.

TPMS after Sears visit | PriusChat

Ron

16. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just called the tire shop and they said they are having trouble calibrating it. They can read each of the sensors with their scan tool, so each TPMS sensor is working but the TPMS module wont accept the ID's of the new sensors.

I am a little worried now because the tech on the phone was in my MFD saying that he was trying to reset the mileage on the tires??? I told him that the maintenance screen in the MFD has NOTHING to do with the TPMS. Oh brother......

17. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    From what I have learned, you may end up having to go to Toyota and get them to register the TPMS for you. If you do that, before you go make sure you have the ID numbers for the sensors.

Sorry to hear you are still having trouble.

Ron

18. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :confused:

So the tire shop called me to come get the car at 4:30 today.... they had 'finally' figured it out.

The 3 sensors they installed yesterday were all transmitting data but the Prius TPMS didnt like them, this is what the tire shop told me (in their words).

So they ran out and picked up 4 brand new 'universal' tire sensors that are programmable with their special fancy schmancy tool. They programmed them and voila! Prius likey. Light is off, life is good.

They threw in the fourth sensor for free for the inconvenience. Still, I put $150 into the TPMS for my SNOW TIRES that I totally didnt need to, but it snowballed and I didnt want to half nice person it. :mad: Lesson learned.

19. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Glad to hear you finally got the light off. Kind of a expense for sure, but a good learning one too.

Yeah, Life is good even though sometime's it can be expensive!

Happy motoring to ya!

Ron

20. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks Ron!!

Im NOT looking forward to re-installing my summer tires :confused: if it was as expensive as this experience.

On the bright side, I have 4 new sensors in my snow tires that I didnt know I ever needed, nor did I ever want...lol.