1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS Sensor Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Tickwood, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Tickwood

Tickwood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I had the TPMS light come. Tire store said the battery in the sensor(s) was no good and I should replace the sensors. I did, for all four wheels, but the light remains on. tire store said it will go out by itself in a few miles. Now 3 days and 60 miles later it is still on.

My 2010 is very nearly 6 years old but has low mileage. Has any one else had to replace the sensors? How did it go?
    Thanks

2. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The tire store was wrong. The light should go out almost immediately upon replacement since the sensor IDs must be programmed into the car with a scan tool. Did the light flash before staying on? This means a sensor was not responsive or programmed. If the light was on solid then it just meant tire pressure was low. I haven't had any sensors go bad but I've changed wheels etc.

iPhone ?

3. Tickwood

Tickwood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The light did not and does not flash

4. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ha...as I said, a solid light immediately upon turning the car on, means only that one or more tires are low on air...

iPhone ?

5. Tickwood

Tickwood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Tires were all checked, rotated and the one where the original problem was thought to be was dismounted and checked. Back to the tire store in the morning.

6. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have (and the tire store should too, if they're any good) a device that will read sensors through the tires. If only you were on this side of the country, I would gladly check it for you

iPhone ?

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    And if you were in Canada you could (for now) drop kick the sensors off the end of the driveway. :)

8. Tickwood

Tickwood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Addition/Correction/Resolution
    Addition correction - Today light was flashing for about 30 seconds on startup. It is very possible the light was doing that before, I normally don't look there when backing out.
    Resolution - back to the tire store, after a half hour of working with a scanner the first guy gave up but the second guy reprogrammed the sensors in 5 minutes. all OK now.
    Thanks

trentofdestiny and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. Tickwood

Tickwood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Update, this Morning (9/17/2015) the light came on again while driving. Light was steady, not flashing but when I got to the tire store the tire pressures were all OK. the technician worked for 20 minutes and got the light to go out but he could not tell me why it came on again. His suggestion was to go to Toyota and buy sensors from them. Discount tire would then refund the cost of their sensors.
    thanks

10. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah the "universal programmable" sensors sometimes work but are not the same as OEM

iPhone ?

11. PRIUS STAR SHIP

PRIUS STAR SHIP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Had the same issue, but went a totally different route and much cheaper than the StealerShip.

AndreaV likes this.