1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS sensors can't be programmed at America's Tire

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by metro750, Sep 9, 2023.

1. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I see you shady mechanic raise you helpful dealer.

After America's Tire couldn't help and I couldn't help myelf... on a drive out of town I stopped into the closest Dealership to see if they could just read the ID in each tire without removing the tire. Mind you I called in an hour before they were closed and I was still at leat 30 minutes away. Cut to the chase, the sales manager grabbed this wireless-handled device and went to ech tire and rea me off the ID. Get this, it didnt cost me a cent to know which tire has what ID, and his device showed more details than Techstream did now that I think about it.

The moral of the story, dont let America's Tire fiddle with your TPMS unless they have the device like the dealer had.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You call independent tire shops and ask if they have a wireless tpms sensor reader and a “obd2” relearn device to write those codes. And pricing. Should be around $20 a tire.

Most mechanics don’t sell or otherwise deal with tires.

#42 rjparker, Sep 24, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
  3. PTS

PTS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  4. metro750

metro750 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think I mentioned in my original post that I also drove to a dealer and they said sure, we can look at the problem for $210 (he actually said $209.88 - how's that for precision!).

I assumed that actually solving the problem after looking at it would cost more than $209.88. OTOH, I'm sure I would have been comfortable in their air conditioned lounge with hot coffee and donuts watching their 90" TV.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After buying a mounted Tire Rack winter set, before buying my own TPMS tools, the nearest Les Schwab store (a tire chain in my region) was going to do it for $20, until discovering that my 2014 Forester was not yet in their reference book. Then they refused to touch it until the next annual update could come in showing it. So my Subaru dealership did it for about $70.

Some years later, I watched a Discount Tire tech do the job, after I misplaced the codes for a winter wheel set on my Prius and my TPMS-RF reader was having difficulty teasing out one of the sensor ID codes. He just trusted that I had bought the tires there (I had, maybe he even remembered me), and went out and read the codes and re-flashed them through the OBDII port. It took about the same time it would take to dispense a coffee, select a donut, and sit down to glance at what was playing on the big screen. No charge.

metro750 likes this.
  6. metro750

metro750 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This problem is now resolved!

Last week Tire Rack got back in touch with me either because I emailed them about the sensor IDs or I gave them a bad review on their survey. The customer service rep looked up the correct procedure to program the sensors (listed below) and told me to take it back to America's Tire and they should be able to fix it. I told her that they told me that they only program their own sensors, and she said America's Tire is owned by Tire Rack and she had talked to the manager and he said he would fix it.

=>

Sensor Relearn Procedure
    1. Ensure all tires are inflated to the pressure listed on the tire placard.
    2. If TPMS light is ON, proceed to Step #3.
    If TPMS light is OFF, proceed to Step #5.
    3. Turn ignition to the ON position.
    4. When using the updated ATEQ or Bartec tool, utilize the tool’s Reset ECU function under one of the menus: plug into vehicle’s OBD port and follow tool’s onscreen prompts.
    a. ATEQ –“Unlock ECU” is found under vehicle’s Service menu.
    b. Bartec – “Toyota ECU Reset” found under the Wrench icon after entering the vehicle’s “OBD Relearn” menu
    5. If using an ATEQ tool, use the “Service TPMS” menu, not “Check”.
    If using a Bartec tool, use the “Relearn” option, not “Test Sensor”.
    • If using REDI-Sensors 7007HP or 7008HP and the sensors do not scan under the appropriate vehicle, you may need to configure the sensor/s under the tool’s “Program”
    menu first. A tool software level update to the following would be required:
    ATEQ: D__1-42-07 at minimum
    To view your current update level: “Settings” → “About”.
    Bartec: v64.0 or v4.0 at minimum
    To view your current update level: “My Tool” → “Tool Info”.
    6. Starting with the LF tire, use the scan tool to scan each sensor in the following order:
    LF, RF, RR, & LR.
    7. Turn ignition to the ON position.
    8. Connect scan tool to OBDII port and upload sensor IDs.
    9. Unplug the OBDII cable, keep ignition still in the ON position.
    10. To verify baseline tire pressures are correct, hold down pressure warning reset button (located under the driver’s dash) until TPMS indicator blinks 3 times.
    11. With the ignition still in the ON position, re-scan each sensor. The light should turn off.
    12. Test drive the vehicle above 30mph or more for at least 10 minutes, monitor the TPMS indicator to ensure it does not illuminate or blink.

=>

7. metro750

metro750 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I took the car back to America's Tire today with the procedure that was emailed to me. The service rep barely glanced at the procedure (predictably) and said pull the car up over there and we'll take care of it. The mechanic takes out this electronic device about the size of a phone but 4 times as thick and holds it against each valve stem. After 5-10 seconds the thing beeps and he moves to the next tire. Then he attached this device to the OBD port under the dash with a cable, pressed a couple buttons and it was done.

I was prepared to pay some kind of fee for this but they didn't charge me.

Total cost of this adventure:
    4 tires: $480
    4 tpms sensors: $210
    installation: $100
    total: $790

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I.e. what they should have done the first time, and what I have seen done elsewhere.
    ... and they shouldn't have charged you again anyway, because you already paid for it the first time. From previous threads, it seems to be a legally required part of the original installation. They were, at best, negligent in letting your car gleave the first time without this step.

9. metro750

metro750 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think I paid the standard fee for mounting and balancing new tires. It wouldn't have surprised me if they charged an additional fee for replacing the tpms sensors and reprogramming the ECU because that's more work than just doing the tires. Maybe these businesses like to roll that fee into the price of sensors.

I sorta think that's why they didn't do it the first time. The tire shop told me they charged $60/tire for tpms sensor replacement. Tire Rack only charged me $48 per sensor for the parts.

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From previous threads about TPMS and federal regulations, it would seem that it was illegal for them to not do it the first time. Extra charge or not.

11. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    You also need the activation tool and a sledgehammer to beat the tire. Deadblow hammer against the rim works too