1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS Wake-up from the Reset Button

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Jonny Zero, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    On a typical, non-Toyota car, the TPMS sensors do not report pressures, until the wheels are spinning for a few minutes.

I am wondering how does the RESET function work on the Prius. Does the TPMS ECU send a wireless signal to wake up the sensors? Or do they read and record the golden pressures the next time the car is driven?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm thinking it must be reading pressures at the time you do the reset procedure, it's just the only thing that makes sense to me, reading through the instruction.

3. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So you think there are means for the TPMS ECU to wirelessly "WAKE" the sensors without having to spin them?

BTW I am still jaded that every other car offers the ability to read the PSI values off the tires, but not the Prius.:mad:

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The Prius reads the PSI values, it just doesn't tell YOU what they are. Only if they more than 20% below the "set value".

5. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Well that is just simply wrong.
    I recently had a Hyundai that didn't report individual wheels and neither does my "high end" Ford Fusion.

Of course they all "read" them, they just don't report them to the driver.