1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS warning light blinks for about a minute

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mopar, Jul 6, 2022.

1. Mopar

Mopar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When I power up my Prius the tpms warning will blink for about a minute and then stays on steady. I have checked all my tire pressures and have them set correctly. Using my MaxiTPMS pad I bought off ebay I have read each tire sensor and they all return a good battery indication and report the sensor ID.

I took the car to Orielly's auto parts and had them to check for any stored diagnostic trouble codes. The code U0073 was stored and is an indication of an abs problem with the can bus communications.

No other warning lights are on and the abs system seems to working correctly. The car drives normally with no problems that I can detect.

I have done a power cycle disconnected the battery for about 10 minutes and pressed the horn button to complete discharge any residual voltage from the system.

The car still has the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions or idea?

Thanks for any help, Roger

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This problem is easy to solve if your tires are bald and it's time for a new set of tires. However, if you're a long ways from that, it's more of a hassle. I'd take it to whoever you bought your tires from and ask them to fix it. Most likely problem is a bad TPMS sensor or its battery.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you tried resetting the tpms and tires pressure?

also, i read that leaving an obd plugged in can cause issues

have you cleared the code to see if it comes back?

if it comes back, you may need tech stream for sub codes. could corrosion at the ecu connector

#3 bisco, Jul 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The owners' manual mentions that blink pattern. It means the TPMS ECU isn't hearing from all the tire transmitters it expects, or the wrong transmitter IDs are registered, etc. If the car is old enough (a 2011 qualifies), it probably means the battery in one of the transmitters has run down. The batteries aren't replaceable, so that means replacing the transmitter.

Happened recently to one of mine (2010). I bought a new transmitter and registered its ID, and took it to my local Discount Tire and told them which corner it was, so they could dismount that tire and change the transmitter.

They didn't charge me anything for the dismount/remount/balance, maybe because I'm an existing customer buying my tires there. So I didn't bother spending more right then to replace the other three. They are probably all due to run down "near" the same time, but I often find that "near" the same time can still mean quite a spread, so I figure when the next one runs down I'll just do the same thing. If that happens really soon, maybe I'll reconsider.

blinky.png

fuzzy1 and PriusCamper like this.
  5. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, sometimes opening the owner's manual is worth the effort.

Half Vast likes this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you change well sets or sensors recently? This is what happens when I swap my seasonal tires sets but forget to reprogram the matching sensor ID codes into the car. As Chapman already said, the blinking before steady pattern means it isn't hearing one or more of the expected sensors. Unlike certain other brands, this car will not learn the new sensor ID codes on its own.

Another problem I've had, very infrequently and still unsolved, is that the car will not hear one sensor for an extended period (10-15 minutes??), trigger this alert for a while, then suddenly does hear it (within 20 minutes of initial alert). This has happened to me only about a half dozen days over many years, not enough to fully track down the problem. When it happens, it may happen many times in a single long day. It happened on both summer and winter wheel sets in the same month, so it wasn't just a single sensor problem. An old ScanGauge-II with firmware update to read TPMS was able to isolate it to a single sensor code at a time, and confirm that the last heard signal each time showed good pressure, but I didn't record enough detail to track it through tire rotations to distinguish between a specific sensor vs a specific wheel location with poor radio reception. Now those old sensors are gone, and it hasn't yet reoccurred on the new sensors.
    That TPMS reset button just resets pressure detection thresholds. If the light was blinking for 1 minute, then the car is not hearing a sensor, and using the TPMS reset button won't fix it.

7. Mopar

Mopar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think the the most likely cause is a tire sensor battery has gone dead. This is the direction I am going to pursue.

The error code u0073 indicating a abs problem may be an old error code that has nothing to with my current problem and I just need to clear this error code from the ecm.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe the maxitpms pad isn't working correctly

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Or, if the maxitpms pad is working, and all four transmitters are ok, there could be a different issue with the receiver in the car.

If I remember right, the TPMS ECU in Gen 3 does participate in blink codes, so you can get its trouble codes using a jumper wire, the same way we often talk about here for brake codes, if you don't have an OBD-II scan tool that shows them.

10. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Blasphemy!!!!

11. Mopar

Mopar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I do question the maxitpms pad. It reads two of the sensor with the same id number. I don't see how this could be.

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ah. Makes me think one transmitter isn't transmitting, so the pad is picking up the working one from the nearest other corner of the car.

Could be a bit of a puzzle to figure out which one of those two corners is the dead one. Maybe let some air out of one of those tires, and if the reading changes, the dead one is the other one, and vice versa.

13. Mopar

Mopar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have thought the same thing. I am probably going to remove each tire one at a time and move it some distance away and test each one.

bisco likes this.
  14. Mopar

Mopar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I do not have a obdII scanner that will read the codes.

Does someone here know where I can find instructions on how to read the blink codes?

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  16. Mopar

Mopar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This sure has been a weird problem. This morning I removed the right front wheel and the left rear wheel and one at a time I moved each tire about 40 feet away and tested it with my maxipad tpms checker. Both tires tested good. I put the wheels back on the car and the warning light turned off. I did not do anything to fix it.

bisco likes this.
  17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    See post #6 paragraph 2. Maybe you have a similar intermittent problem as me? How long have you driven it in a single session since this problem first appeared?

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is the maxipad checker showing four IDs that are all different now?

19. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you scared it into behaving or it knew it'd lose its wheels. :)

20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2011 this about when the OEM TPMS batteries are expected to die.

The system (on Gen2 anyway) is a little funky. If you go in there (eg with Techstream) and reset the codes, say to 000000, this can temporarily turn off the warning lights. The system is looking for new pressure readings, and that process takes about 20-30 minutes. So until you take a longer trip, the warning light stays off. Finally after 20-30 minutes system concludes there is no update data coming in, and the warning light comes on