1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS what the hell, $70 labor sensor serial #

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by lapdog99, Mar 20, 2012.

1. lapdog99

lapdog99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Wow, unlike other cars, BMW etc. our new Prius V model 3, requires that the serial numbers of new sensors be entered. We had just purchased new wheels, sensors for Tire Rack, and were told by the dealer it would be $70 labor to enter the sensor serial numbers. I sure hope there is room for two sets of serial numbers for the winter and summer tire sets.

We still can't get an answer on availability of a Toyota Prius V home link mirror to swap with the plain one in the car.

Other than that , betting great mileage 45+ on the road, and 50 around town.

2. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ttp://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-accessories-modifications/89088-source-ateq-tpms-quickset-tool.html

ATEQ TPMS Quickset Tool

4. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Unless they updated the ECU software for the v compared to the gen 3, you'll only get 1 set of TPMS IDs registered in the ECU at a time. If you plan to swap winter/summer tires, the ATEQ tool above is a good, simple tool for doing this. Some dealers will give you a one-time courtesy update of them.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Alternately, you can buy TPMS sensors that clone the same ID as your existing sensors. That way no programming is required when you change from summer to winter and back.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  6. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try Discount Tire. They may be willing to help you out.

7. Quentin

Quentin Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you had any luck getting this done? I have a 4Runner and am buying a v, so this would be very helpful for me.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't switch wheels. Where we live, I just run winter tires all year.

The sensors you need are Schrader EZ-sensor:

EZ-sensorâ„¢ - Schrader USA - Programmable TPMS Sensors

Tom

9. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I highly recommend this tool - I just used mine yesterday to change the TPMS IDs on both my Gen III and my wife's Gen II when I changed both back to summer tires. I would advise you verify from the manufacturer that it works with the 2012 Prius v before buying.

10. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Don't forget, you can also ignore the problem and just drive around all winter with the TPMS light on. It will go off when you put your summer tires on. It's only a lightbulb, after all.

mmmodem and Scargod like this.
  11. rcturner

rcturner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    $70 seems like a lot but, if you were running a business and had to pay a tech his wage and benefits to use a special piece of equipment that you had to buy and work from your multi million dollar facility, is it really out of line. The cost of doing business these days probably means that $70 might not cover your cost let alone provide the profit needed to stay in business.

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ That's basically what I do.

The tire pressure monitor system is in there due to legislation, but you're not obligated to maintain it with extra rims.

At least not yet, LOL.

Scargod likes this.
  13. gti303

gti303 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Did anyone get the ATEQ Quickset tool to work on their Prius V?

14. beekbunk2012

beekbunk2012 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    This was posted by me earlier in the year in a long tire thread in the V Technical sub forum. I cut and paste it to save you wading thought it...the simple answer is yes. And the light stayed off when I switched back to the A/S OEMs.

After learning a lot from lurking, it's time to try to give back. We are running Michelin X-Ice2 tire on Tire Rack sourced rims. The tires are great and are very happy with them. We got the TPMS sensors mounted by Tire Rack and were aware of the changeover issues after a similar experience on a 2008 Honda Odyssey.

I can tentatively report the TPMS light is now off thanks to the ATEQ Quickset tool. There are various references to its usability (or lack thereof) on this forum and elsewhere and if you are not as comfortable with a bit of messing around on the IT side then it probably isn't for you - but - using the new generic Toyota OBDII 2012 profile that ATEQ just released I successfully downloaded the stored 'summer' sensor data from the V and then uploaded the 'winter' sensor numbers supplied by Tire Rack. I've done a 20 min drive with no light so fingers crossed.

I know people deal with the light in different ways but just thought it was worth noting the ATEQ tool now works as well.

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/winter-tire-advice-and-tips.99845/page-4#ixzz28kpDMWFF

15. n0na

n0na Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I thought I read somewhere that when the TPMS light comes on, it disables the car's automatic stabilizer because the car's computer is concerned that it wouldn't work properly since it thinks the tires have bad tire pressure. So, if the light is on and you lose control of your car, you won't have the benefit of active stabilation. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there might be a reason to register the new TPMS valve stems properly so that you maintain the stabilization feature as well as shut the light off so that you can sleep better.

16. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Can you look that up? I didn't find it in the manual. It would be good to know if that's true.

17. n0na

n0na Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I just checked the manual, too, and couldn't find any reference to the TPMS shutting off the stability control when the TPMS light comes on.

But I think I read that somewhere on the Internet while I was searching for info on TPMS (I don't like it and don't like the high costs associated with it.) So, the TPMS light might affect the stability control system on some cars but I now have no reason to believe that any Prius model is affected in such a matter. So, it appears that we can leave the TPMS light on until the bulb burns out without worrying that anything else is affected. All we have to do is keep the tires properly inflated, something I've managed to do without fail for nearly 50 years. We don't need no stinkin' TPMS!

18. sansun

sansun New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Costing $70 for each TMPS, its a rip off, when a new tire costs from about $80. Doesn't make sense to have a perfect TMPS but a bad tire or less thread? Just unnecessary maintenance cost to the owner.

19. kensiko

kensiko Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    II
    I read on Amazon that you need the serial number of the sensors to use the tool. Is this true? Is the number written on the sensor itself? Because I'm looking to buy used OEM wheels and I suppose I won't be able to find the serial number.

20. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Used OEM wheels generally do not come with the sensors. Simply swap your sensors into the new wheels. If the new wheels are going to be used for winter tires then don't bother with the sensors and just ignore the TPMS light for a few months and check your pressure often. It won't hurt anything.