1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TPMS woes

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Miyamoto, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Miyamoto

Miyamoto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all,

Recently I started to get the TPMS warning light. I took it into my local shop to have looked at and my mechanic told me one of the sensors had gone bad and should be replaced; he told me one of them had gone bad and needed to be replaced; I have since replaced the faulty one with an OEM Toyota part. About a week after it had been installed I did see the light come on for about 5 minutes then go off and this sort of thing started happening intermittently for the next three weeks; I had one recently go off the other day and I brought it in to that same local shop. Told him the situation and after having it looked at, he told me he did not see any issues with the sensors but that he noticed that the air pressures on the tires we all different and about 2 psi difference of each other. My manual indicates the tires are 35 psi front and 33 rear. He told me the tires had ranges from 35-38; not too. far off what's recommended. He told me he had done a test drive with his probe on and he didn't see any issues with the TPMS system. He told me he inflated all tires to 40psi and told me to drive it around and to monitor it and let him know as soon any issues arise. BTW, it's a bit cold here currently in Northern Virginia with temperatures in the 30s and 40s. Not sure how much cold weather should affect our TPMS systems. I understand tires psi are affected by temperature etc.

Any one have any similar issues with the TPMS issues with their Prius. I have a 2011 Prius model 3 hatchback. I like to hear peoples's 2 cents worth. Thanks all.

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If one sensor has reached end of life...they should all be changed.

Johnny Cakes likes this.
  3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    …at least all their batteries should be changed! :rolleyes:

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Prius TPMS Sensor batteries are not replaceable.

Johnny Cakes likes this.
  5. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    …and here (for the umpteenth time) is my solution:

…I've had them on since changing back to the winter steelies, and have found them to work perfectly (at least so far)
    …and I'm toying with the idea of getting some as Yule pressies (…for those few remaining friends still have! o_O)

6. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    …sorry, my bad! I thought I read that most failures are caused by failing batteries! (…I'm surprised they're not replaceable on the Prius!)

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On one hand, that is correct. On the other hand, most sensors have sealed-in batteries, so battery replacement requires replacement of the entire sensor.

(Sorry, I don't see what you linked at post #5 due to security related script blocking.)

8. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry, I think there's still a problem with posting links to amazon - let's see if I can get it right this time - it looked OK from my end)
    www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2TSELY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

…not sure of the correct MajikSpell, but this one might work! Good luck!

Prodigyplace likes this.
  9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do see that link, so something worked better.

But the scripting blocking I referred is something that I install on my end, and hides a significant number of similar links by many people. I choose to not disable it to discover if there are also PriusChat-specific problems beyond that.

10. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There was a similar problem a couple of weeks ago, and someone here suggested a hack (edit) to the quoted URL, I couldn't remember the exact details so I just lopped off the first part (https:) of the link - not pretty but effective (apparently) since I have no problem seeing it at this end! (shrug!) :)

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My solution would be to just start monitoring tire pressures more carefully, do nothing till the next time you're changing tires. That is, if there's not some annual inspection in your area, something that'd pull the car off the road. And, again barring enforcement in your area, come tire replacement time, I'd just use regular valves.

2011 is a little early for TPMS failure, btw.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm suspecting an intermittent TPMS system problem in my own 2012, not related to battery wearout. It remains unresolved.

My Prius had two episodes of intermittent false TPMS alerts in August, without actual low pressure. That summer tire set is on PiP takeoff wheels with sensors dating from spring 2015, so the batteries ought to be good. The false alerts did not repeat after August, even as the weather chilled (and battery levels should have dropped) into November.

Not long after swapping on the winter tire set, on the factory rims with original sensors (now 5 and half years old), I experienced another episode of intermittent TPMS alerts. Again, no actual low air pressure, and the alerts vanished after a couple days. Since then, I've traveled inland in much colder temperatures, with no more alerts.

Because it happened on two different wheel/sensor sets, both with relatively young batteries, I'm suspecting something other than the batteries. Absent additional clues, I intend to send my ScanGauge-II in for the firmware update to display individual TPMS readings, to get more clues. If it is a sensor, that should also narrow down the offender(s).

13. Miyamoto

Miyamoto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Somebody told me that when they took their Civic in to have their tires changed they were told by a "Just Tires" technician that these TPMS systems are not worth it. I can see why. After plunking down a couple hundred dollars for a new OEM sensor, I still am experiencing TPMS intermittent issues. These TPMS systems are not critical for road operations. I believe a zealous engineer designed it for those people who are not meticulous about car maintenance and only look at their tire pressure when they get into a crash or something like that. For me, I do regular checks on my tire pressure for the benefits of maintaining proper tires pressure, i.e., better mileage and safety. I think TPMS (at the current state) is more of a pain than anything else. I can live with without having an automated system telling me that my tire is at low pressure and pocket a potential money waste. My mechanic has left my current tire pressure at 40 psi as a solution but I'm not sure I'm all that comfortable with it since Toyota specifies tire pressures at 35 front and 33 rear. I usually add only 2psi at most during cooler temperatures. If there is a way of turning off the warning sensor, I might do that as a solution than having to deal with the TPMS system. I'll just go back to regularly checking the tire pressure on a schedule. Thanks for everyone's 2 cents.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't think you can turn off the sensor. Also, it's very small and unobtrusive, and the valve is still functional, regardless of sensor failure.

In short: there are no problems.

We drive 4~5 months of the year with snow tires on separate rims, with no sensors, hardly notice the light, just regularly check the pressures with a good valve, and eyeball the four tires before heading out.

15. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If you have the tire pressure warning set at, say, 38 PSI (tires at 38 PSI when you press the set button), in the cold, the 35 PSI tire could drop pressure to the warning point (20% below 38 PSI) when it gets nice and cold. As soon as you start driving the tires warm up a bit, especially on the highway and the light will go out. Next morning, if it's cold enough, the light will come on again. It will again go off when you drive on the highway.

This is normal. To stop it:
    At "room temperature", inflate the tires to 35 PSI. Press the "set" button (under the dash near the steering column).
    Now inflate the tires to 40 PSI, still at "room temperature". Use underground parking etc. to warm the wheels up if you have to when you inflate.

Once you do this the light should stay off. Unless you actually have a tire loosing air. Or another sensor goes bad.

Oh, and you can do this using the two pressures you prefer as well. I use the 2 PSI front/rear difference as well. But I run Pearl S' tires at 40 front 38 rear, and just before the cold weather set in I put them up to 44 front 42 rear. When the cold sets in the actual pressures before I start to drive are down around 35-38 PSI with no light on.

Your mechanic has the right idea - just add air. ;)

16. Miyamoto

Miyamoto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You know what Mendel, I might just have to do what you're stating here and just live with the small light. Thanks.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Question then is...Will you start checking your tires pressures regularly?

18. Miyamoto

Miyamoto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Hey David,

I didn't realize that you can set the threshold for the tire warning light, but obviously this makes sense. Interestingly enough I did ask him if the sensor warning threshold can be set and he told me this is factory set etc. and didn't seem to be familiar with TPMS settings. Yes, he does hav the right idea of inflating my tire and that might have resolved it, but then if that is the case, then it just means my TPMS threshold isn't properly set. I asked him if there was a threshold where we can set it and he seemed to indicate that there's a lower limit when then the warning light would go off, but then that doesn't really explain about him seeing that my tires were all within reasonable inflation range of the recommended. I'm a bit confused and probably need to talk with him again when the warning light goes off. But before I go to him, I'll have to verify all 4 tire pressures. Thanks for the info.

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You can download pdf format of the 2011 Owner's Manual from Toyota Tech Info (just google), go to the Manuals Tab, and fill in your vehicle info.

Search the doc for tpms and you'll find lots of info, a lot faster than leafing through the paper manual. Also, the reset procedure is in there.