1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Track battery heat issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Wrecit, May 13, 2022.

1. Wrecit

Wrecit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    2006 prius with "new" refurb battery. Outside temps hit over 80 yesterday and for some reason I checked the track with Dr Prius.

All 3 battery temp ranges were over 124 degrees with #2 being at 128. I used dr Prius to over ride the cooling fan and the temp dropped fairly quickly down to low teens across the board.

Side note: I love AC but wife hates it so we drive with out a and windows down lol. When I overroad the fan I put windows up and blasted ac and temp dropped quick. After I got battery to about 111 degrees I turned fan over ride off and it went back up to 118. Ended up riding next few hours with fan over ride on.

We deliver doordash and 95% is big city suburb driving.

Pulled rear apart today and all "plumbing" is clear and exhaust flaps work fine.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like you're doing everything right to address the situation... And while the battery is running a bit hot, you're still able to lower the temp. Next step if problem is persistent would be to find someone who has a thermal camera and pop the cover of the pack and it will show you which of the 168 cells is running hot. Unless of course your refurb battery has a warranty, in which case you send them a Dr. Prius screenshot when battery temps are at their extreme highest and let them deal with it.

Also probably a bigger challenge than you'd like to deal with, but wife shouldn't drive it anymore on hottest days of the year if she's not going to use air conditioning because her discomfort of using it is way less of a cost than the cost of the battery overheating and failing.

#2 PriusCamper, May 13, 2022
    Last edited: May 13, 2022
  3. Wrecit

Wrecit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Got a theroy for you camper (and anyone else)

Need to pay attention tonight but due to hearing loss issues I never have heard the fan come on at all. Asked wife last night and she said she was not paying attention but did not remember hearing it kick on until I did the over ride.

Since I was able to drop the temp from bank 1 peek at 124 down to 101 in about 10 minutes with over ride could I have a fan speed sensor/selinoid/what ever tells the fan to turn on normally going bad? If so what and where would this widget be?

4. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The fan almost never runs in a healthy pack... It's also a multi speed fan so if it runs at the slowest speeds you'll be very challenged to hear it. How often you need to pull it out of 124 degree temps is going to define alot about what's going on. Hopefully that doesn't happen often?

Also this is all assuming you don't have a fan full of lint and debris...

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. JahT

JahT Member

My wife does too since it only come out of the top vents and dries her eyes out. She always had the vents pointed away from her for indirect cooling. Maybe that can work. Also I never heard my fan either until I got the app, so I have to remember to start the app every time now if I want to crank the fan up.

6. Wrecit

Wrecit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Took it for a test drive on some hills to load the battery. No ac 1 window down outside temp 79. The fan speed only went to level 1. Did over ride to kick fan up and temp started to drop. Here is Dr screen shot

Attached Files:

7. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So what are the details of your refurbished battery? How much? Any warranty or discounts on future work?

8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The car is pretty smart. Why not just let it do it's thing? You're assuming the car has a problem. If the car is only calling for speed #1, then that's all the car thinks is needed. If the battery is too warm, the car will you know. It will also cut back on the max charge and discharge limits for the battery.

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. Wrecit

Wrecit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It's got warranty and is actually a replacement under warranty from Prius doctor down in VA. Great guy and I do trust him and understand sometimes things just happen on refurb.

I actually have my wife talked into doing the litho upgrade but want to make sure this issue is bad sells and not a fan issue before I drop the litho in

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've never heard the fan on our 2010, but monitored it's operation for a few years (with a ScanGauge II) and it was running, anywhere between speed 1 and 4 (out of 5??). My hearing's ok (not according to my wife though...).

I think our pack is fine, and I found the fan is pretty much always cycling on, albeit at it's lower speeds. I can recall cruising around 80 kmh, fully warmed up car, cool evening (coastal highway), no other traffic to speak of, and the pack temp settled in around 35C and the fan was speed 2. Again: never hear it, just from what SG was telling me.

11. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, if you can afford a lithium pack you'll be amazed at how happy everything runs with those extra amps. Maybe you can work out a deal with your battery rebuilder to buy the rebuilt pack back because technically it's in great shape and you're noticing stuff that won't be a problem till later, so as far as he's concerned it's a good opportunity for him to have another pack at a lower price than he sells them for.

As for Project Lithium, there's only a couple-few weeks of supply left and factory is shut down for 6 months or longer due to Lithium and Nickel markets being gamed so high Jack can't build an affordable pack right now.

Also packs my friends have ordered on a Tuesday arrived on a friday and install is super easy, takes less that a few hours... If you use my affiliate link: https://projectlithium.com/?ref=9qLPw I'll offer you all the tech support you need and may be able to speed up customer service for you as I talk with Jack many times a week.

12. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Gen3 Prius demand alot more from the same battery pack than Gen2 does...

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Wrecit

Wrecit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Ok camper just placed my order using your link above (damn it hurt to click that button lol) if you need any numbers to verify you get credit for the order let me know and I will pm you info.

Ran it last night for 5 hours of door dash deliveries after ripping the rear apart and checking the fan. When torn apart drove it to warm battery up to above 95 degree (101 actually) and the fan turns on low but did not feel anything on the air out side. When I over ride the fan to high I do feel air flow though. Side wall flaps move freely. Letting it run on its own temp rose slow but steady. I let it go up till just over 120 then over road the fan and at high it dropped temp down below 108. Ran the ac much to my wife's dismay but she said she will deal with it.

Still concerned I have a fan issue with message going between the temp sensors and the speed sensor because even when temps hit 120 the fan speed stays at low setting.

Here is last night's screen shot. Would the resistance shown really cause the heat issues I am seeing. Have seen other IR screen shots much higher with low temps though they may be taken when someone first started the car

Attached Files:

PriusCamper likes this.
  14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you're overthinking it. 120ºF is not that hot for a battery. Now if it gets 140ºF or more, you might start to be concerned.

15. Wrecit

Wrecit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    What started this rabbit hole was 128 and climbing when I toggled the over ride.

I understand for liability issues Dr Prius does not have a full "what do these numbers mean" manual but have seen 2 simple questions asked here many times (dating back to 2014 or so that I have found) that no one ever gives a straight answer to.

Question #1 : what is normal operating temp of the track battery (Dr Prius reading warns in red over 120 degrees)

Question #2 : what is tippical resistance value of a healthy battery (best answer is it does not matter as long as they are equal. By equal do you mean same number across the board or equal as in if all banks are between say 22 an 26 they are close enough)

Have seen several comment like you that only need to worry at 140 plus temps and have seen and been told by people that make their money reconditioning battery's that if you go above 130 that it will throw codes.

I am by no means a Prius expert but have learned alot here and elsewhere on the net and by speaking to certified Toyota hybrid techs but maybe I am stupid to think these questions are easy. What are the go/no go numbers on the damn track battery.

Sorry a little frustrated today with this whole issue

PriusCamper likes this.
  16. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, got notification of your purchase via link...

I hear ya' about spending that much money, not easy these days... But if you're using the car to generate money, in the long run it's probably going to be way less stressful. And the enjoyment of your car running more on the electric side than the gas side will be rewarding every time you drive. Hopefully you can make some money back selling your old pack back to the rebuilder. The fact that you're addressing this issue before the pack fails rather than after is smart!

As for the go/no go numbers on HV battery if you talk to the Stealerships it's soon as you get to first warning lights. If you talk to someone who has learned everything possible to rebuild packs it doesn't matter how many times you clear the error codes while you drive as long as it's not constant, it's also when the pack gets too hot to continue to safely drive without overheating the pack.

17. Wrecit

Wrecit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Camper that's probably part of my problem. I have never had a great code. I am judging off of Dr Prius showing that 120 degrees is red (over past 50 years everyone told me red is danger lol)

18. Wrecit

Wrecit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Code not great code (why did my phone add great lol)

PriusCamper likes this.
  19. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On the bright side, the wife can continue to drive without the air conditioner now... And you won't have to stare at your phone stressing out on battery temps.

20. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You're frustrated because you're trying to see a problem where the car says there is no problem. You also won't listen. THE CAR IS SMART ENOUGH TO KNOW WHAT IT'S DOING. The go-no-go number is to leave it alone and stop worrying about it.

Is there really a 'normal' temperature for the HV battery. NOT REALLY. It operates in thousands of different conditions and temperatures.
    Again, if it's calling for fan speed 1, it's because Toyota's billions of dollars of R&D says that's what is required for that condition. If your car sits in the sun all day and the car is 140F inside, guess what temp the HV battery is? More than your 120F. And the car will reduce it's charge and discharge limits if required and will adjust the cooling fan speed if needed.

You're using an app, written by a guy who came to the site years ago asking for advice on how to write an app or what info to include, etc, etc and has used that money to venture into batteries now. Granted, he's probably a fairly smart guy, but why do you assume his "red values" mean jack sh*t compared to what Toyota has programmed into the ecu?

There are many posts on this site by members who talk total sh*t about dealer and mechanics being so crazy on prices and how they're all rip-offs and stealerships, over and over and over again like it's a conspiracy. Yet you've been worked over and convinced that you need a new $2200 HV battery to replace a battery that has no codes? Remind me again about the definition of rip-off?