1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

tracking lifetime on Trip B

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by vvillovv, Mar 30, 2022.

1. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I mistakenly reset Trip A again on Sunday and I wasn't sure I haven't reset Trip B too. But Trip B has always been a few tenths of a mile different from the ODO minus the 10K mile flip back to 0 miles, but the mpg is retained (I think it's retained anyways). So since the mpg on the ODO and Trip A have both been reset I have to use Trip B for lifetime.
    I confirmed with these two pics from 1feb2019 I just found a few minutes ago and will take a couple current one and post them later.

20190201-odo_135205.jpg 20190201-tripB_135039.jpg
    keepin my fingers crossed I don't ever reset Trip B
    30mar2022-odo-P1010531.jpg 30mar2022-tripA-P1010532.jpg 30mar2022-tripB-P1010533.jpg

#1 vvillovv, Mar 30, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
  2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You reset ODO?

vvillovv likes this.
  3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think he means the MPG for the ODO has been reset.

#3 Salamander_King, Mar 30, 2022
    schja01 and vvillovv like this.
  4. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    need another coffee this mornin? :coffee:

beware the trip button - like the Prime it will surprise you when you least expect it !!!!

5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They make it WAY too easy to reset the ODO MPG!!! I've done it twice. The first time was on purpose when I bought the car. The second time was not on purpose.

But on the good side, after you drive another 20-30k miles, it shouldn't make much difference. Mine now reads about what it did before I accidentally left my thumb on the button too long.

6. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    YES; used car dealerships do it all the time.:):cry::confused::eek::ROFLMAO: LoL; always get a CarFax for comparison.

Yep, Trip A for physical tank to tank mpg calculations, and Trip B for oil changes.

FWIW; they also reset when I corrected the wrong date the dealership inputted into my system. Not the trip counters, but the long term onboard calculations.

7. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you never cycle though all the screens on the MID that have different gauges for each trip meter, the trip meters are not as likely to get reset by accident. Put pushing those buttons on both sides of the steering wheel and trying to figure out what your looking at, it's easy for the trips to go back to 0, sometimes it's not noticeable for days - weeks or months.

Salamander_King and BiomedO1 like this.
  8. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do the same thing. I keep the TripB as my backup for the lifetime MPG in case I accidentally reset the mpg data attached to the ODO. What is funny about my Trip B is that it actually shows slightly longer miles than ODO does. It was that way from the day when I bought the car with 8 miles on the ODO. How is that possible?

Does the lifetime MPG data get reset if the 12v battery is disconnected? I've read it does, but I have not replaced the 12v battery on my PP yet, so I don't know for sure.

#8 Salamander_King, Mar 30, 2022
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Was wondering the same.

For OP: start a spreadsheet; bullet-proof, and more accurate; the car tends to “cook the books” on mpg. On 3rd gen to the tune of 7~8% optimistic.

Salamander_King likes this.
  10. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For our 2014 Pathfinder Hybrid, the trip info including the Tripmeter A and B were reset, but the eco data which includes the lifetime MPG did not get reset. It must have a backup battery for the computer memory or the data must be kept on a non-volatile rewritable memory chip.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    LoL, It only took 3 months to figure out the dealer inputted the wrong date into my system. Off by a day; which left me scratching my head once or twice a week - when my scheduled charging was off........ Thought the car was haunted:mad::eek::cry:

vvillovv likes this.
  12. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nope. I've disconnected my 12V a few times and also replace the 12V on my wife's '17 Prius. All MPG data remained. Radio presets were also unaffected. Just lost the clock and calendar settings.

13. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. How about The ECO diary and DRIVE MONITOR and DRIVE MONITOR 2 data? They also contain cumulative data that I track. If they don't get reset by removing the 12v battery, then I can play with detaching the 12v battery without fear of losing the data I track. Clock and calendar setting is easy to fix and does not affect much. I suppose, if the calendar data get reset, then any charge schedule would also have to be re-entered?

jerrymildred likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is anything the 4th gen car tells you still "cooked" by about 7~8% (on the optimistic side, of course...)? That's the case with 3rd gen.

15. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, for my 2017 PP, the displayed MPG was 6.02% optimistic compared to the hand calculated full-tank method in 83 fill-ups. For my 2020 PP, it was +7.96% in 7 fill-ups. And for my current 2021 PP, it is +8.69% in 5 fill-ups.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That stayed. It only holds so much data, though, so the old stuff eventually gets pushed out by the new.

Yes, but not that much. Here are calculated vs indicated MPG for the two road trips I've had in the Prime. Calculated is in the left column and indicated in the right. I forgot to record a couple of the indicated MPG readings on the first trip. As you can see, the error varied from tank to tank.
    Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 2.59.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 3.00.42 PM.png

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe not so much the “error” variations, as pumping vagaries. I suspect if you could eliminate the latter the former would be very consistent.

18. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I know only 1 year of monthly (3 screens) and 32 days of daily (8 screens) Eco Diary records are available, and older ones get purged. But that duration is usually long enough to transcribe the data into my separate spreadsheet. If they disappear at the time of 12v battery disconnection, I would first have to make sure to copy all the data up to date, But it sounds that is not necessary. As for the DM and DM2, I also keep record of both in a spreadsheet. DM has the lifetime record of EV ratio which is important if I need to figure out actual engine use. And DM2 has the lifetime EV efficiency data which is more important for me to keep than the lifetime mpg.

jerrymildred likes this.
  19. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Besides what's lost with a 12v disconnect (still curious how much ECU data is retained) one thing I've noticed is that (Distance till Empty), doesn't charge very fast. But it might just be mine is not and others see faster gains and losses than I do. It just makes me wonder exactly how the gauges are programmed to average out whatever they're measuring.
    I think 3rd party gauges can help coordinate between the averages and realtime, especially if enough people share results.
    Like the split screen mpg gauge next to the speedo, that is probably the closest to realtime gauge in the car, where other gauges just lag way behind and or just use some form of driving history mixed in for averaging.

#19 vvillovv, Mar 31, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
  20. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can read this thread: What is your DTE after fill-up? | PriusChat

The DTE is closely related to the last tank full of HV-only MPG. It has nothing to do with the EV Mode portion of the drive, so it is not the MPG displayed on the dash, but actual gas used during HV mode only. If your driving condition is very consistent, then it does not change much from tank to tank. But in my case, if my HV mode drives are different such as mostly commuting at 35mph or a single drive of 500+miles on a highway at 75mph, or environmental condition changes such as getting very cold or hot, then I notice a fairly good amount of changes from tank to tank. My DTE has ranged from a low of 450 to a high of 574 after a fill-up.

vvillovv and jerrymildred like this.