1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tracking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by vmbosik, Aug 2, 2007.

1. vmbosik

vmbosik Junior Member

I have been having a problem with my 05 prius and wonder if anyone else has noticed the same problem;
    If I am driving on a road that is not where the computer thinks it is, the tracking will start to latch onto streets that are not on my route. This happens consistently when I go around a certain corner where the displayed road is off to the right of where the computer thinks it should be. The tracking will remain off in no man's land and latch onto the first road it crosses and never come back. The tracking symbol will not only losses its location, but will start moving in a direction different from the actual direction the car in heading. I have to use the menu to reset the cars current location and direction to get it back to where I am.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this area a new road? If so your '05 NAV disc may be out of date and not have that particular road on it.

It's also possible that your GPS loses its signal in that area (tall buildings, lot of power lines/mountains?). Possibly the reciever is broken, but that seems less likely.

Finally, any mods to the system? Are you disabling the speed sensor/dead reconing?

3. mgipe

mgipe New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vmbosik @ Aug 2 2007, 04:23 PM) [snapback]489643[/snapback]</div>

This happens with all GPS derived road navigation systems. Although there are techniques which reduce the frequency of occurance, all systems will get off-track occasionally. Usually, all you need to do is wait a while, until the error becomes large enough to force the nav system to rethink its placement.

It can be a bit strange sometimes, like when the nav says you are going north and you know you are headed west into

4. vmbosik

vmbosik Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 2 2007, 06:36 PM) [snapback]489649[/snapback]</div>
    I had installed the upgrade version nav disk, and made and installed a hybrid nav disk but went back to the original nav disk that came with the car and it didn't help; it still gets lost. I also have installed a Coastltech lock pick.
    Seems like something has changed lately because the corner where it has been getting lost lately never had a problem until a couple months ago, I have driven the route several times a month for the last several years without the system getting lost.

I don't know how to disable the speed sensor or dead reconing.
    Would like to know how to reset the computer back to the original defaults but don't know how.

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vmbosik @ Aug 2 2007, 07:17 PM) [snapback]489669[/snapback]</div>
    First, if you drive it all the time why even look at it on the Map?

Next, the lockpick does disable the speed sensor and this disables the dead reconning, so it'll take around 20 seconds or so for the GPS to detect deviations from the standard course.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

6. vmbosik

vmbosik Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 2 2007, 07:42 PM) [snapback]489677[/snapback]</div>
    The reason I want to find out how to resolve this problem is it is happening at least once a week in different locations. And when it starts tracking off in never never land it won't come back to my actual location. So I have to park and go through a lengthy procedure with the menu screens to get the tracking back to where I am on this planet. Otherwise, it just keeps tracking miles from my real location.

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, if it's that severe then I'd be inclined to blame the GPS reciever...I suppose the Lockpick could be implicated, but I don't know how.

8. MPG > HP

MPG > HP Junior Member

Have you tried recalibrating the GPS? There should be a menu option where you point the car due north, go into calibration mode, then drive a tight 180 or 360 degree turn, then done. Works in my '03 build Mazda RX-8 that uses much older '02 nav technology.

9. vmbosik

vmbosik Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MPG > HP @ Aug 2 2007, 09:22 PM) [snapback]489727[/snapback]</div>
    There is a procedure in the Prius menu to re-set the car's current location and that is what I have to do each time it goes into never never land.
    You go to Menu, Setup, and there is a procedure to set the location, and heading. And that works, only thing is I am having to do that every time the tracking goes crazy.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vmbosik @ Aug 2 2007, 11:49 PM) [snapback]489774[/snapback]</div>
    If the GPS is working you don't have to do this. What you are seeing is a loss of GPS data which forces the NAV system to dead reckon. The system then latches onto the nearest road. When a good GPS fix is obtained, the NAV system should automatically jump back to the correct position.

If your Lockpick is disrupting the speed input, then the dead reckoning is not going to work, and your position will stand still until another good GPS fix is obtained.

This leads to the next question: what is wrong with your GPS? If this is happening frequently and in multiple areas, then get it checked.

Tom

11. vmbosik

vmbosik Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Aug 3 2007, 07:28 AM) [snapback]489881[/snapback]</div>
    Guess I need to get it checked because once it starts tracking off of my current position it will never come back to where I am located.
    I would like to know if anyone knows how to reset the nav program back to the original settings to see if that might fix the problem.
    Also I am trying to find out if anyone else has experienced this same problem.

12. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vmbosik @ Aug 3 2007, 11:52 AM) [snapback]489991[/snapback]</div>
    Have you changed tires recently? If so, have you told the nav system to recalibrate to your new tires?

There is an option in the nav system to get it to calibrate to the tire size. This might just help it enough to track better.

13. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Next time it gets off track, look at the upper left corner of the Nav display and see if the "GPS" indicator is there. If not, it is a GPS problem.

If the "GPS" indicator is there throughout the problem episode, then I would suspect the lockpick is disabling the speed sensor for too long a time. The GPS-only solution is not very accurate and you can get "lost" after a while in non-GPS mode, especially if the map-matching is poor.

You may be surprised to find out that the GPS on the car is only accurate to 100 feet or so at best. It appears to be more accurate because of the use of the speed sensor (wheel turn counter), the turn sensor (gyroscope) data, combined with map-matching which the Nav system uses to derive a "blended solution" to the location problem.

To see this blending in action, find a road where there are two parallel, slowly diverging paths, such as an exit ramp off a freeway that parallels the freeway for 1/4 mile or so. Drive on the freeway portion for a while to get located on it. The system assumes you are continuing on the freeway as you drive; so if you take the ramp, it will take a little while to figure out that you really are on the ramp, not the freeway; your position will then discretely jump to the ramp from the freeway.

This blending of location methods is why we need to separate them to diagnose your problem. Inaccuracy can be caused by failures in any of the Nav components.

14. assassinmunky

assassinmunky New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KTPhil @ Aug 9 2007, 01:03 AM) [snapback]492860[/snapback]</div>
    I can almost gaurantee that you are losing GPS signal.

I have the same problem in my prius, except my situation is a little different than yours. I have an 05 prius that came with no navigation and no jbl system. I then took the MFD and navigation unit out of another prius and put it in mine. There was some work to be done, but it started to work. I also did not have the antenna that comes with it. I wanted to purchase the original Toyota antenna, but they were asking something ridiculous like $400 for just the antenna. I instead purchased a Chrysler antenna for about $50 and modified it to work with the system. I loose signal every now and then and the map does get lost. I say there is nothing you can do about it unless you would like to bring it to a Toyota dealership and pay an nice person load of money to get the antenna replaced. If anyone has a good source for Toyota OEM gps antenna, then please let me know.

Thanks,
    Kamil

15. vmbosik

vmbosik Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(assassinmunky @ Aug 9 2007, 03:49 PM) [snapback]493186[/snapback]</div>
    Once mine gets lost it stays lost and I have to go to Menu, Setup and re-position the position and heading setting.
    When your system gets lost does it stay lost, so that you have to re-set your current location?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KTPhil @ Aug 9 2007, 12:03 AM) [snapback]492860[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure which symbol is the "GPS" indicator, is it the North/South icon in the upper left corner. If it is, what dose it look like when the GPS is not working; is the indicator just not there?

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It almost sounds like your GPS is not working at all...like you're going solely on dead reconning until it gets separated from the course....gotta work some or it wouldn't know where to start you out, but there's definately something wrong.

You might got to the diagnostic menu and see how many satellites, if any, you're picking up once it gets lost but before you reset.

17. vmbosik

vmbosik Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 12 2007, 02:07 PM) [snapback]494358[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, I'll try that next time it goes off on its own. From what I am hearing from others who have responded to my question, it sounds like it might have something to do with the CoastalTech LockPick. But naturally they do not answer any of my email questions about the problem.

18. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was driving my 2005 today, no LockPick, and after crossing a river on a ferry, I lost GPS and the NAV system got completely lost. It showed my driving across fields and crossing roads that weren't there. Turning off the car and then back on didn't help. I found my way home, ignoring the idiocy of the nav screen, and shut the car down for a half hour while I ate lunch. Later, I had to go to a store about 5 miles away. No nav on the way there, still driving across fields and going south while I was heading north. I was in the store maybe 20 minutes. When I came back out and started, I switched to the map and GPS came on instantly and the map centered on my location. GPS stayed on the rest of the way home. GPS was gone for perhaps 2 hours.

I'm going to report this to the dealer since I have 34K miles on it. If GPS is working, there's nothing for me to show them, but I want them to know there may be a problem before the 36K mile warranty is up.

19. vmbosik

vmbosik Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Aug 13 2007, 01:24 AM) [snapback]494580[/snapback]</div>
    ----------------------------------------
    That's interesting that you have the same problem without a LockPick. I have always had to go to the Menu, Setup screen and reset my location and heading within a short period of time. I'll have to try waiting for a couple hours and a couple shut down and start ups.
    One thing I did discover, and I do have one of the newer LockPicks, is this;
    There is one corner I go around where the tracking will go off on it's own and start jumping from street to street and become completely disorientated every time with the LockPick installed.
    So I removed the LockPick, and drove around the test corner and the tracking started to leave the map but always jumped back to the correct road and did NOT go off to never never land.
    I put the LockPick back in and when I went around the test corner again to test it, the tracking went off on its own into never never land and would not jump back to the road I was driving on.
    So it looks like the LockPick is definitely part of my problem.
    I've tried to get in contact with Coastltech but as usual they don't answer my emails or phone calls.

20. geodosch

geodosch Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My previous car was a 2006 Mazda 6, which also had a Denso Navi unit. When I first got the car I had the exact same problem as you're experiencing. I found my way into the hidden diag screens, and saw immediately that the GPS was not working at all. It turned out that some connectors had been left unplugged at the factory, though it took 3 trips to the dealer to convince them as to what was wrong. <_<

You don't need to wait for your navi to get 'lost' again to check the GPS. Go into the diagnostic screen (hold the 'Info' button & turn your parking lights on/off 3 times quickly.) Follow the menus to the GPS Info screen, and you should see something like this:

[attachmentid=10738]
    It may take a few minutes to establish its position. The STS column for the satellites should go from a "-" to "T" to "P". Once you get 3 or 4, the status should change to 2D or 3D (2D indicates it doesn't have enough satellites to give it a 3D position, which is far more accurate.)

Driving my Mazda for a month without the GPS gave me a good view into how the system works. Its primary means of tracking is the dead-reckoning system, which is surprisingly accurate. It's how auto navigation systems worked before GPS was available. But as you've noticed, a big part of how it operates is to try and keep itself on the roads it 'knows' about. What it uses the GPS for is to periodically compare the GPS position to the dead-reckoning location, though it only does this at intervals. I've not been able to determine what that is, or if it's by miles or time.

There was a road I frequently travel where they changed a right-angle turn into a big, sweeping curve, though the navi system did not have the update. It was fun to watch the map as I drove through that, with the location arrow trying to keep on the road. It looked like it was skidding sideways, and when I got far enough into the turn, it would finally slide over to where the map had no road (but where I actually was.) When I got back onto the 'old' section of the road, it would show me on course, but the arrow would be 'crabbing' slightly (not pointed in my exact direction of travel.) After about 2 miles it would correct itself.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Aug 13 2007, 02:24 AM) [snapback]494580[/snapback]</div>
    This situation is actually mentioned in the navi manual in the appendix, under conditions that can cause the tracking to be off. It's surprising that it took so long for the GPS to correct itself, but that could be partly due to the fact that moving the GPS when it's off will also cause it to take longer to reestablish its location after turning it back on. This is true of any GPS unit-- the better of an idea it has of where it already is, the faster it can start tracking, because it has to determine which satellites are visible. Possibly that, combined with the interval of when it would recheck the position caused it to take so long to get back on track. Just a guess.

Attached Files: