1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traction Battery Cooler Experiments

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by m8547, Jul 18, 2019.

1. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I can work on that, but usually I can only L2 charge in the day when the sun probably has an effect on the temperature. Not sure how to do a comparison under the same conditions?

In general I've noticed that charging the battery doesn't heat it up too much. I wouldn't worry about using L2 charging, it's still pretty slow as far as the battery is concerned.

2. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I had 13% battery remaining indicated on the MID when I got to work today. I plugged in around 9:45, and the battery was 86 degrees. I parked in a mostly sunny spot, left the back windows open four inches, front windows open 1 inch, and put a sun shade in the windshield. Air temperature was in the 80s. I let it charge for 90 minutes, and when I got back the MID indicated 100%, but it hand't finished the part of charging where the power tapers off. Hybrid Assistant showed 81% state of charge, and I think it normally tops out around 83%. I unplugged and the battery was 89 degrees.

I don't think a 3 degree rise is anything to worry about. It would be worse if the windows were closed, but I'm not sure how much of the heat is from charging and how much is just from the sun.

3. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My car didn't charge last night for some reason. Maybe I left the charger unplugged, so I got to work in HV mode.

I plugged into the chargepoint at work. Car is in the sun, it's around 80 degrees outside, and I have the windows open. The battery started at 91 degrees, and 1 hour later it's still 91 degrees. I'll check again when it's done.

4. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It finished charging. It got hotter outside, probably 85-90. The battery ended up at 95 degrees, and the traction battery cooler message did NOT appear when I moved from the charger to a normal parking space.

5. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Are you getting the pack temps from hybrid assistant?
    Thanks for the heads up about hybrid reporter. I put it on my phone yesterday and I have 20 saved logs to look through.
    I took the miniOBD out when it went in for service and didn't put it back in till yesterday.