1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traction battery cooling fan

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Ozark Man, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Ozark Man

Ozark Man Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I took a fairly long trip in 90's plus temps and I did not hear my battery fan come on one time. I have only had my Pris a year but I have never heard it running. Is there a warning light if there is a problem and it's not functioning properly?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not until your battery goes kerplunk. how is your hearing?

Ozark Man likes this.
  3. Ozark Man

Ozark Man Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Not that great so I guess that could be the reason. I did check last year to make sure it was clean and it was so I guess I can only hope for the best. My MPG seems to have droped from about 53 last summer to 48 this summer so I am a little worried.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't hear mine either. how many miles on her?

Ozark Man likes this.
  5. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Gen3 fan is quiet. You can test it with Techsteam, or if you have one of our Prolong Battery systems installed. Otherwise I suspect it will be very hard to hear during normal vehicle operation.

Ozark Man likes this.
  6. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Right. It's very quiet at the lower speeds. It speeds up enough to be obvious only when the battery's so hot the fan becomes desperate.

Ozark Man likes this.
  7. Ozark Man

Ozark Man Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Almost 88,000.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a lot of things can affect gas mileage. i would run through the list and make sure you're good. check the gen 2 sticky, 'why am i not getting epa mpg', or something to that effect.
    it starts with the tyres, and goes right up through the engine. at 90k, you might need something outside the maintenance manual like throttle body and maf sensor cleaning, injectors or pcv, etc.

but the first thing to do is make sure your mpg deficit isn't simply caused by the heat, a/c use and driving style/commute.

Ozark Man likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've yet to hear ours, and I've watched it with a ScanGauge, seen it go from speed "0" to "4", I believe out of 6 speeds possible. And I've cleaned it; see that it has a modest build-up of dust. The battery's temperature will climb in any climate: driving on secondary highway on cool evening the temp will be around 35C, and fan speed 1 or 2.

Everything's probably ok.

bisco and Ozark Man like this.
  10. Ozark Man

Ozark Man Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Now that I think back on it has been primarily on the last two tanks. The first one I had the ice running some in park while I was using the electric air compressor and the second I was on the interstate for 100 miles with speeds of 70 to 75 MPH so both of those could have made a difference. I have been holding off on getting the things you mentioned done until 100,000 when I plan to have those along with having the coolants and spark plugs changed. Of course I know it doesn't matter if I do it now or then, guess I've got a case of OCD.

11. Ozark Man

Ozark Man Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Now that I think back on it has been primarily on the last two tanks. The first one I had the ice running some in park while I was using the electric air compressor and the second I was on the interstate for 100 miles with speeds of 70 to 75 MPH so both of those could have made a difference. I have been holding off on getting the things you mentioned done until 100,000 when I plan to have those along with having the coolants and spark plugs changed. Of course I know it doesn't matter if I do it now or then, guess I've got a case of OCD.

bisco likes this.
  12. Ozark Man

Ozark Man Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

13. Ozark Man

Ozark Man Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

14. Ozark Man

Ozark Man Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is that the reason for the triplicate post?:p

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but seriously, it sounds like every things fine, and i would just follow the maintenance manual. some here like to change the tranny fluid for longevity sake.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but seriously, it sounds like every things fine, and i would just follow the maintenance manual. some here like to change the tranny fluid for longevitie's sake.

18. Ozark Man

Ozark Man Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I couldn't get it to post I thought. It's either my PC or this website which has been acting strange.

bisco likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but seriously, it sounds like every things fine, and i would just follow the maintenance manual. some here like to change the tranny fluid for longevitie's sake.

20. Ozark Man

Ozark Man Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yes, I changed it recently.

bisco likes this.
  21. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done.(y)

Ozark Man likes this.
  22. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    @Mendel Leisk , is the traction battery cooling fan an added code you had to
    Enter into the Scangauge to monitor? Or is it a preset code that's already in the Scangauge?? If it's a preset, what is it called? If not, where can I get the code to set the traction battery cooling fan into the Scangauge.

I think I'm hearing the fan but sometimes if it is the fan I'm hearing, seems like it comes on even when the temps are not that high.

Would be great if I can see it going on and at what speed . Amy help is greatly appreciated.

23. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's an XGauge, there's one for fan speed, and one for each of the 3 battery temp sensors. Sensor #2 is in the middle, tends to be hottest, so best choice.

There's a spreadsheet with all of these XG's, and I've found a good YouTube video on the basics of entering them on SG. I'll post some links later, just on my phone now.

Xterra72 likes this.