1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traction Battery Cooling

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mo. J, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Mo. J

Mo. J Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We all know the batteries aren't performing well in either too hot or too cold environment. I live in a hot environment almost half of the year. And when they get too hot the car cannot go into Eco Mode. Is there any way to enhance the cooling of the battery?

*Note: sometimes I remove the fan filter to get more air. Also, sometimes when someone is sitting in the back they can block the fan inlet, especially if they're wearing like a dress or a skirt.

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, good to keep the vents uncovered. The only thing I do is, when it's real hot (not as hot as you, I'm sure) is to turn the A/C ECO OFF. That puts air to the rear floor vents. I battle with humidity as well as temperature - but I don't think the battery cares about humidity.

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can control the fan speed over the CANBus. If it's a hot day, proactively setting the speed high will help. Setting the AC on maximum so that the car keeps as cool as possible is good. When you park, try to park in the shade. That's about all you can do.

alanclarkeau likes this.