1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traction Battery drops 1.2 instantly when AC is turned on

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by lewiscole, Aug 13, 2015.

1. lewiscole

lewiscole Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    But adds 1.2 when you turn it off. Is this normal for a 2015 pip? I'm wondering if it's just me and I haven't noticed it before. Thanks everyone.

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I assume you mean 1.2 miles of estimated range? If so, then yes an estimated reduction in range is normal when you draw more from the battery. The a/c is electric. Asking for heat will show an even greater reduction. Seat heaters typically won't register a reduction in range.

3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    It is normal, with the AC and Heat on

4. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The Prius assums that you'll keep the AC on. So it calculates/estimates the electric draw over the next 1? miles and subtract that from the current EV estimated range. You get a similar reduction in estimated EV miles when you turn the fan on (no AC).

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    these are all incorrect. you get a reduction (not necessarily 1.2 miles, when you turn the fan on, and get it back when you turn the fan off. it has nothing to do with a/c or heat. it's just toyota's very poor way of letting you know that you may get reduced miles. but of course, only the a/c will actually reduce your range, not the fan, and definitely not the heat, since the engine has to run to provide that.