Traction battery fan filter

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rosencrantz, Nov 7, 2018.

1. rosencrantz

rosencrantz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    well I was looking at the inlet to the fan for hv battery. I ended up removing the cover and was pleasantly surprised to see a replaceable filter for the fan. Even better, it appears that there’s easy access to the fan itself - if cleaning the blades became necessary. I’ve read stories about people adding filter material to earlier Prius.... it’s nice Toyota has finally installed a proper battery filter. I don’t recall seeing a maintenance schedule for it.... did I just miss it?

Mendel Leisk, davecook89t and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good question. can you post a pic so we can see what material they are using?

3. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    And how in the heck did you get that grill off? Mine won't budge. Is the 2018 different from my old '16? :LOL:

4. rosencrantz

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually, after posting this thread, I saw a YouTube video that describes replacement. The filter is pretty thin and a bit flimsy.... but appears it’ll do the job.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Lapsed Cargo Cultist

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would dig down to the fan when you've got a few miles on, to clean it, and to get an idea how often it'll need to be done in future.

rosencrantz likes this.
  6. rosencrantz

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure what the 2016 looks like..... assuming it’s like mine, there’s a single plastic expansion pin. You pull the center part straight out and then pull the remaining plastic capture ring out. I used a jewelers flat blade screw driver to get under the center plastic pin. The rest of the cover is held in place by non-removable clips. With the expansion pin removed, just pull the cover off.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. liquidtenmillion

liquidtenmillion Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Ill have to double check on my 17, but I remember looking at it for 15 minutes, and checking the repair manual, and for some reason I came to the conclusion it was literally impossible to remove.