1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traction Battery Losing Charge When Parked

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by disneytramp, May 28, 2007.

1. disneytramp

disneytramp New Member

I think I have a problem with my Prius, but would like some confirmation from this forum. The dealer told me it is fine.

I have an 06 Prius with 30,000 miles. I watch the engergy display and the traction battery appears to charge just fine when I'm driving. However, if I park the car with 6 bars displayed and then start the car 4 hours later; I only have 2 bars and sometimes 1. For the first 10 minutes of driving, the car is running on gas engine only until it can charge the battery and then everything seems to run normal.

I don't think it was behaving this way when I first got the car. I thought I could park the car overnight and not lose much charge in the hybrid battery; maybe go from 6 to 5 bars. My gas mileage has dropped from 52 to 45.

I'm not sure the dealer understood my problem and I'm about to take it back, but would like to know first if I really have a problem or does everyone's Prius behave this way. The dealer said the car would report a problem if there was a problem. Thanks for any insight you may have.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It shouldn't lose charge while parked. Perhaps a relay didn't close shut.

First off

1. Are you sure it's off? I'm not trying to make you look stupid but just making sure all the bases are covered. Leaving the car on overnight can replicate what you've described

2. Do you lock your doors overnight? (a good way to double check if your car is off)

3. Press "P" before you shut off and then check the next morning and see if it's still drained

Hmm, can't think of anything else.

3. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hmm

This seems wrong. 4 hours shouldn't make any change.

I have seen smaller changes (6 bars to 4 bars) when parked over night and the temperature has dropped. I have never seen 6 bars to 2, and really no change in 4 hours!

I would have it checked out. Seem like a battery or leakage problem

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A 1 bar change wouldn't bother me a bit.. the charge will balance, the ECU has to take a reading and it can take several seconds for it to change the display...not a big deal.

But from 6 bars to one or two is definately NOT normal and suggests a serious drain or a bad battery. They should be able to look at individual cell voltages to determine if one is bad. As tideland suggested, be absolutely certain that you are shutting down completely and not leaving in Ready mode.

5. onlynark

onlynark Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    ur car should still be under warranty. Like others suggested, make sure that your car is completely off. If it still drains, complain to the dealership and make sure they fix the problem. If they dont want to, try another dealership.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Disconnect any other electronics you may have plugged in. Something may be leaking.

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(disneytramp @ May 28 2007, 01:42 AM) [snapback]450932[/snapback]</div>
    There is definitely a drain of some sort, which is not normal.

I have never witnessed that throughout 6.5 years of Prius driving. The only behavior similarity is leaving the headlights on while photographing a sunset, without the car on. After 45 minutes, it will drop from 6 bars to 2.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ May 28 2007, 08:40 PM) [snapback]451213[/snapback]</div>
    Electronics would only drain the small 12V battery, not the large traction battery. With a dead 12V battery you wouldn't be able to boot the computers, but after a jump start the traction battery should still have its charge.

Tom

9. disneytramp

disneytramp New Member

Thanks for all the info. I'm sure everything is off: doors locked, lights off, nothing plugged in. I'll take it back to the dealer and let you know what they find. Thanks.

10. kcoruol

kcoruol Junior Member

If your car has 30,000 miles on it, it should be OK, no problem.

Once it goes over 36,000 miles though, the dealerships are usually much better at diagnosing mechanical or electrical problems within minutes and will be able to provide you with a detailed estimate as to repairs that they couldn't provide before you drove the 36,000 miles. PS: don't forget the $90/hr labor charge. The toyota repair book may say it'll take 4 hours to make the repair, but that's not necessarily how long the repair takes, just how many hours you'll be charged. The actual repair may only take 15 min. Also, the mechanics aren't actually being paid $90/hr either. Then remember to bring your Visa, Mastercard, Discover Card, or American Express because most people probably don't carry that much cash with them or have that much cash in their checking accounts.

Sometimes making big stinky on showroom floor to the dealership manager, in front of prospective customers, may be all it takes to get something done. Otherwise service manager will put off until after 36,000 miles.

<_<