1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traction Battery Mystery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by James Nakamura, Nov 18, 2017.

1. James Nakamura

James Nakamura Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2007 Prius 211K miles with oil level full. New battery from Greentec in April of 2016 (19 months ago). Getting the Red Triangle/Check Engine/Parens Exclamation Point on the dash. This happens when I have to accelerate heavily, stop at a light or when it's been sitting for more than a day and I first start it up.
    Battery level on the display goes low and then recovers quickly, engine kicks on to charge more frequently but the MPG is still steady.
    OBDII codes are the mysterious 7E8, 7EB with 7EB has the P0A80. So bad traction battery right? Why so soon after getting a replacement battery?
    Got out Mini-VCI and got consistent 16.3-16.5V. So the question is - what the issue? I can temporarily clear the code but still get it once in a while. I don't want to fork out another ~1500 dollars if I don't have to.
    Please help!

Attached Files:

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Time to contact Greentec for warranty

morm3993 likes this.
  3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, your "new" (to you) battery is failing, and here's the reason why. Your ...
    ... is not a new battery at all, but a reworked old battery. If you open up the battery case and decode the module serial numbers, you will find various dates from 2004-2007. In addition, Greentec do not have a very good reputation (on PC) for making a good product. They seem to have a lot of premature failures. Depending on your warranty status, you may be able to get a replacement. Be prepared to do the same again in 6-18 months.

4. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ..what do you mean by oil full? You mean its gauge to the full level, or what?

Well, from the symptoyyouve just described here, you've got a weak pack.

Just like @dolj said, that isn't a new pack. Its a rebuilt one. Get it back to em, and they might fix it. But if they try to shy away, you gotta start preparing for a new OEM Toyota pack, or an alternative new cylindrical modules in a pack that's being sold here on PC for less, by a fellow member. Can't remeythe link right now though.

Alternatively, if you a diyer, you could rip open the pack, and check for the weak/dead ones and replace them from eBay.

Dxta

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Ouch! Is the greentec (used/rebuilt) battery already out of the warranty period?

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you bought their lowest version (~1000 bucks) the warranty is only for 6 months. I contacted them about 2 weeks ago to explain the differences between their three versions of batteries. They were happy to regurgitate the website info, but have not responded to any of my follow-up questions. So I just assume they don't have answers.

7. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First you will need to check the warranty from Greentec.
    Did you install this battery? If so check the receipt.

If it is in warranty, then do not mess with and and work with Greentec on the replacement.

If it is out of warranty, then you will have some tough decisions on how you want to proceed.

If you do the work yourself it will be less than paying someone else to do it, but that depends on your time and comfort of working on the battery pack.

I'm always up for a chat to walk people through the options. Feel. Free to call.

James Nakamura and Raytheeagle like this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you DIY you could a new battery kit from @2k1Toaster may also be an option. @ericbecky has been testing one. I do not know the warranty on those new cells.

9. James Nakamura

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oil level - Full on the dip stick FWIW. I was mostly clarifying that it wasn't the oil level low issue.
    I know that is was a refurb battery (I meant new as in purchased and installed as a new addition) and sadly this is out of warranty.
    So, a few questions: is anybody in the Knoxville, TN area interested in helping me replace whatever "bad" cells I have in the traction battery or finding a better long term solution?
    How can one acquire a new OEM battery and what is the cost?
    I am fairly handy but would still like to work with someone experienced on this type of work.

10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    James, see the link in my signature for more info and choices on what you face (there is a now a new choice from member 2k1toaster). Posts #1 and 31 are the begin/end of my saga.

GOOD LUCK!

Prodigyplace likes this.
  11. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @2k1Toaster normally charges $1600 including shipping in the continental US. I believe he has a special for $1500 right now. You keep the old modules. You may be able to resell the good ones.
    If a dealer sells you a battery (some will not sell just the part) there will be a $1350 core charge, IIRC and only a 1 year warranty. If the dealer installs a battery, there is a 3 year warranty. Pricing varies by dealer.

#11 Prodigyplace, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    Raytheeagle and JC91006 like this.
  12. James Nakamura

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, well it was the traction battery and to say that I would not recommend Greentec would be an understatement. The 18 month warranty battery had a hodge podge of cells clearly pieced together without regard to age (and possibly voltage level). If you look at the attached picture, you'll see varying letters in the 4th position and from what I've been told is indicative of the year the cell was manufactured.

On top of that, at least one cell had developed a crack/leak that was probably the culprit of all of my headaches.

So based on this experience, I would say that I won't be doing any more business with Greentec nor will I ever recommend them.

I did end up getting a battery from @TMR-JWAP who kindly delivered and installed a new battery with all brand new cells. So far it has been running like a champ! 2017-11-24 08.49.56.jpg

Attached Files:

13. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Glad you got it working. You put in a new battery right? Unfortuantely that is common in the rebuilding business. It is not neccessarily bad to have such a mismatch of date cells as long as all the cells in there have degraded gracefully at somewhat equal amounts. For example a 2013 taxi battery module with 200k miles on it, may match a 2007 with 80k miles on it quite well. This is where testing the capacity of each battery module before pairing and making a pack comes into play. The problem is that most people do not do this and you get this hodgepodge that works for just past the warranty period.