1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traction Battery SOC "Meta-States"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by uart, May 31, 2013.

1. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This relates to observations on my 2005 Prius traction battery, which is showing some signs of aging. In particular, it sometimes appears to lose "SOC bars" more rapidly than it should, while other times it doesn't. Several other members with older Priuses have also noticed this sometimes happening.

See the following posts for example:
    - Early Indications of HV battery Weakness (@91k miles) | PriusChat
    - Why is engine still running at 8 bars charge? | PriusChat

After observing this problem for some time I've gain more insight into what's going on and have coined the term "SOC meta-states" to describe it. Essentially the SOC display (for a worn traction battery) falls into one of the following two meta-states, a "bottom referenced" state or a "top referenced" state.

1. The Bottom Referenced State: Typically this state begins when the SOC get suitably low (around three bars or less). The SOC then climbs back to the normal range, tracked primarily by Coulomb counting. In this state the traction battery will discharge nice and smoothly, (if driving in EV mode or whatever), without any abrupt or unexpected loss of SOC bars. This is the state in which my Prius spends spends the majority of it's time.

2. The Top Referenced State: Typically you enter this sate after the SOC has been close to maxed out, usually at the full eight green bars. From here the SOC declines to it's normal range, tracked primarily by Coulomb counting. If your battery is a little weakened and has lost some capacity, then the actual charge level, for any given number of displayed SOC bars, is lower in this mode than it is in the bottom referenced mode. For example, if you have 6 bars of SOC showing, you'll actually have a higher real state of charge if you're in the bottom referenced state compared to the top referenced state.

In the top referenced state, if you discharge the SOC (by driving in EV mode or whatever) then you often experience a relatively rapid loss of SOC bars once it drops to about five bars. This is what I believe is happening in cases where people notice that their SOC drops, say from five or six bars down to two or three, alarmingly quickly.

I'm interested in hearing from other owners who feel that they may have encountered this phenomenon.

Robert Holt likes this.
  2. pjc

pjc Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Actually, I think what you are experiencing is just the nonlinear relationship between the MFD battery display and the actual SOC, along with some of the hysteresis built into that relationship. That is, the 6-bar and 7-bar states actually cover a wider range of SOC% than the 1-5 bar states, and they will stay in those state to lower SOC% when coming from the top as opposed to coming from the bottom. See the attached graph I copied from another thread. From the graph you can see that about 2/3 of the total available range of SOC (40-81%) is covered by the top three bars of the MFD display (55-81%).

That being said, I drive around a lot in EV mode since I have a PHEV aftermarket kit (Enginer) installed, and I keep a close eye on the OEM battery SOC% on my ScanGaugeII. I have noticed that the SOC (% now, not MFD bars) seems to drop faster when it gets below 60%. Sometimes the SOC% will even continue dropping even during a glide, when the battery is actual being charged by the Enginer battery (again, I know this for sure from the SG). That's never made sense to me, since if it's just Coulomb counting, the SOC should never drop when it's being charged.

Note that I do not however fall into the "old Prius" category really ('09 with ~70k miles).

Attached Files:

nerfer likes this.
  3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi pjc. No it's not the nonlinear SOC relationship that I'm talking about here. I'm totally aware of that "SOC vs bars" graph you've attached. I've known about that for years and have that graph saved on my harddrive. :)

I totally understand how this non-linear relation can confuse some newbies into thinking that their SOC is dropping unacceptably rapidly, but the situation that I'm talking about is much worse. The drop from 6 bars to 3 can be almost instantaneous, even when the EV load is only minimal. When it's changing states (from top referenced to bottom referenced) you can even get the situation where the ICE is running and battery charging (green arrows displayed into the battery) and yet the SOC still continues to drop, 5 then 4 and maybe even 3 bars!

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah, that's more like the situation I'm talking about here. I'm not familiar with the Enginer system and it's interactions, however I believe that in my case this happens (sudden loss of SOC even when it's charging) because of a failure of the Coloumb counting algorithm, possibly due to reduced battery capacity. As I said, I've monitored this over some time and can definitely relate it to a sudden change in state (what I've called meta-states) of the SOC system, as described in detail in my opening post.

5. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm glad someone tried to put a name to this phenomenon! :p I have a 2nd hand 2007 with 123,000km (76,428mi), where I've driven 56,000km (34,796mi) of it on my watch since 2010.

I've been experiencing this phenomenon for more than 3 years already and it's only about the past 2 years that I've managed a way to avoid it. This usually happens when I encounter unusual traffic on my morning commute at the 8th km(5th mile) going down the hill from 160m (524ft) to 15m and going back up to 100m (328ft) in slow-moving traffic.

home-work.jpg

This section is usually driven 60kph (37mph) for the first downhill part and moves to 80kph (50mph) for the steeper downhill part up to the 100-meter peak. When it's traffic all the way down and up, I couldn't use B-mode to slow down the charging rate, so i'm stuck with normal regen braking where SOC would sometimes be 80% just before I hit the bottom. Thus, going back up, i'm practically stuck with a system-default EV mode (unless I really floor it).

So now I'm practically using most of the juice going back up the hill. The first few times I encountered this going up, I noticed the bars went from green to blue to purple in about 2-3 minutes (I think). It started falling faster from about a little over half of the blue bars (55% SOC). When I checked my SOC reading on the ScangaugeII, it was literally falling about 0.5% per 1-2 seconds even when I wasn't moving. It would get me down to 45-46% midway up the hill so it was a pain seeing those gas used in charging the battery AND moving the car uphill at snail's pace. The more I encountered it, the more I thought my HV battery was on its way and losing capacity faster on high-demand duties.

But somehow throughout my whole experience driving this car, I think it's just the way it's designed. I think for long durations of EV use (automatic or manual), the SOC being made available is actually less than one may think. I may be wrong, so enlighten us further, please. :D

So one solution I found out is to force charge the HV battery ahead of time or when you start seeing the bars or SOC % values start to go down rapidly on high-demand use of the traction battery and prolonged use of EV mode. It doesn't need to be prolonged stationary force-charging. You can charge bit by bit as you accelerate and keeping an eye / making sure that some juice is flowing to the traction battery as well. This preventive solution of mine works for me and I no longer see purple bars or go below 48% if I can help it.

Another solution that ties in conjunction with the first one is for me is to avoid, as much as possible, reaching the 65% and up SOC territory going down that hill. A few miles before I go downhill, I monitor my SOC already and make sure that my SOC will be at a level that's not too high before I go down. Upon going down, I use B-mode when I can. If it's unavoidable that I'll reach 75-80%, and traffic is slow, i'll go into neutral and use friction brakes in the most efficient way I can.

So I'm not really sure if my traction battery on its way as I'm still getting my expected mpgs for the season down here.

uart likes this.
  6. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't see why that is so. You can select B mode anytime.

7. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry i didnt explain it further... even i continued to use B mode all the way down, i'd still fill up the traction battery to 80% which i was trying to avoid. therefore, i'd switch to N and just use friction braking to cut out charging.

8. DarkPri503

DarkPri503 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm going into my 120k maintenance here soon, and Capitol Toyota does a nice 20 some-odd check point. Everything checked out "green" (on a scale of green-yellow-red) including a traction battery check when I purchased this Prius at 100k. Well, actually the cabin filter was at yellow, haha. Anyway, how much stock can I put into their ability to know the condition of the battery? I plan to put a newer HV sooner than later ($800 at our wreckers!), are there signs that a very indicative to a soon to fail battery?

9. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'd say it's a case of "if it aint broken then don't fix it" with the traction battery. If you replace a working battery with one from the wreckers you wont know whether the replacement is better or worse than what you had.

Yes definitely. When it's so bad that it has to be replaced it will throw a code, but even before that most people will notice more rapid SOC swings on the red-blue-green battery graphic.

This thread is really about detecting battery weakening, even if it's still a long way from outright failure. Batteries, like most things, have more than one failure mode. They may die suddenly with a shorted cell or a high resistance cell, or they may die very gradually through loss of capacity. The anomalies that I discuss in the opening post here are really aimed at helping people see the signs of their battery pack losing capacity, and also to better understand the changes in the way that their SOC (state of charge) indicator may behave when this happens.

10. DarkPri503

DarkPri503 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okay, thanks for the info :) I'll be keeping and eye for any signs on SOC. I had no idea that there was a "red" state, which I assume the bar would be red.

I haven't seen any noticeable SOC signs that make me worry about the battery's abilities thus far, and will use your post as reference. Thanks again!

11. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm having the same exact problem on my 06' with 50,000 miles. When the charge gets maxed out (76-79% SOC) and then it'll favor electricity to get rid of that extra, then once it hits 6 blue bars in that "normal area" it then continues to fall quickly down to 5 or sometimes 4 blue bars for me. Then it'll charge up to 6 blue bars again and drive and act normal. I have a video of this on youtube.

uart likes this.
  12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Uart, I have seen the rapid drops in SOC when my car was also new, so your observation may be correct but not unique. A change in battery behavior for the same car, routes and season is probably a more useful reference. If I was more analytical and less lazy I would grab a baseline on our new v(agon) and follow up with yearly testing.

13. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes it's certainly true that rapid drops in SOC can occur for a number of reasons, most notably when the engine is cold or if engine power is limit for any other reason.

The phenomenon under discussion seems to happen very regularly (and is repeatable), and is always associated with an undershoot after a fall back from maximum SOC. It happens under a very wide range of other conditions (even with the engine running and fully warmed up and operating perfectly) with the previously high SOC seeming to be the only common denominator. So I really do think this is something specific.

14. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Excellent video TPC, that illustrates the issue perfectly. :)

Though we can't see the MFD through most of the video we can infer what's happening from the app display. Let me summarise.

1. At the start of the video you are at 7 green bars and the HV battery is giving about 50 amps EV assist (arrows out of the battery), and as expected the SOC is falling.

2. When the SOC hits about 62% (6 blue bars) we see the EV assist fall rapidly and is near zero while the SOC continues to fall to about 60%, at which time the HV current reverses and the engine begins noticeably recharging the HV battery at around 10 to 20 amps. At this point the MFD will be displaying 6 blue bars and showing the arrows going into the HV battery, but yet the SOC continues to fall as fast as ever!

3. With the engine running the whole time and the HV battery now charging, the SOC continues to fall and at about 55% it drops to 5 blue bars.

4. It continues charging and yet the SOC continues dropping, falling under 52% at the end of the video as we see your SOC finally drop back from 5 bars down to 4 bars. Here we can see directly from the MFD that all this is happening while the arrows into the battery are indicating that the battery is charging, not discharging.

#14 uart, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    That_Prius_Car likes this.
  15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The scenario I remember best and repeated many times went this way:
    1. Leave home with a cold engine and drive down a hill about 1 mile
    2. Drive 3 miles on level ground. ICE is warmed up by now
    3. Drive down a hill. Battery SOC is full green
    4. Drive some 3 miles of mostly small decline and timed signals. It was in this section I would be tempted to use the traction battery to stay in EV and keep a reasonable speed. My MPG would sky-rocket to well above 100 MPG for the trip ...
    5. Alas, at some point the SOC would plummet from 3-4 bars to purple and then I would spend the next mile or three bringing the battery SOC back to it's happy state.
    I stopped driving this way after I realized that I was wearing the battery prematurely, and the period where I was rejuvenating the battery was inefficient.

16. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes!! That's exactly what it does!! I'm looking into The Hybrid Shop. Apparently they can restore it's capacity. Check it out and see what you think. I've called and the price seems steep though. They have happy customers it seems.

17. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You might consider a grid charger as another option for 'restoring' degraded battery capacity/performance. Requires a couple hours of DIY, but much less expensive than what other places are charging for the same deep cycling of the battery pack.

18. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My guess is that you may be encountering what's been called SOC Drift, in this case brought on by a weak battery. As mentioned above, SOC is tracked by coulomb counting. The controller knows how many Ah the battery is supposed to hold, and integrates current in and out over time to figure out its current SOC. To my knowledge the Prius does not use any sort of adaptive capacity in its calculation, just a fixed capacity number. This is set pretty conservatively so typically you are still well within its limits even as the battery degrades over time, though you are using more of its total remaining capacity as it degrades. When the remaining capacity gets low enough, you are starting to enter into territory where the normal SOC excursion (based on the original capacity minus a significant buffer) is in danger of over charging or over discharging the battery. As a guard against this, Toyota added a high and low voltage limit well outside normal operating conditions that tells the controller it's estimated SOC is significantly off and it needs to revise its estimate of actual SOC. Since it seems to be unable to change its assumed total usable capacity, as a battery becomes increasingly weak it would seem likely that it would encounter these limits more often, and eventually end up sort of bouncing back and forth between the high and low limits. I believe this is what you are describing as your top and bottom referenced states.

The upper voltage limit is pretty well documented to be around 242V, as this trick was used in some of the early PHEV hacks to get the Gen 2 to use the extra capacity in an add on pack.

There is a brief description of this SOC Drift phenomena from some of that early work here:
    State Of Charge Drift - EAA-PHEV

#18 miscrms, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    SageBrush likes this.
  19. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There's also a mention of the lower limit perhaps being ~200V and of the "dropping SOC while charging" phenomena that seems to match some of the descriptions above on this page from the hybrid interfaces controller used in some of these Gen 2 DIY conversions:

NOTE: if you revert to the original battery ECU when the packs have been exhausted down below 200v, the battery ECU will initially show an alarming drop in SOC despite a charging current as it tries to resolve the two conflicting parameters: it will be raising the SOC as it does coulomb counting on the charging current that also follows a low SOC but it will also be dropping the SOC because of its SOC drift mode that tries to correct for a low voltage by setting a low SOC. This conflict should resolve in a few minutes as the very low SOC will cause a much higher charging current and the coulomb counting from this should more than offset the reduction due to low voltage SOC shift. It should settle out within 10 minutes back to normal voltage and normal SOC. If you revert when the voltage is still above say 210v then none of this off conflicting behaviour will occur as the SOC drift at this higher voltage is now much smaller than the increase due to charging.
    BMS+ ECU screens

I can't recall now, but there may be some temperature dependency on these voltage limits and certainly the battery's voltage, resistance and capacity characteristics will be different at the extremes of the temperature range. Driving conditions that result in large charge / discharge currents will also probably be more likely to push a weak battery into one of these limits, particularly if the internal resistance of the battery is getting high as I believe it often does as it weakens.

uart likes this.
  20. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If anyone that regularly sees this issue has a way to monitor the HV battery voltage, it would be very interesting to see if these events seem to correspond to the voltage hitting these limits. Don't have any experience with torque/scangauge, but the pre-boost high voltage should be about the same as battery voltage? The sum of all the block voltages should also equal battery voltage as a sanity check.