1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traction Control - better on newer Priuses?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by HerbMPG, Feb 22, 2019.

1. HerbMPG

HerbMPG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is the traction control on the 3rd and 4th generation Priuses any better than on the 2nd? Recently, I've been disabling the traction control in the rain (and would, if it ever snowed again in Atlanta).

My one and only Prius is a 2006. In the snow, it is impossible because anytime there is wheel slippage, the system applies the brakes and it is impossible to get going. I recently had another potentially dangerous situation when I was turning on to a road in the rain. Another car was coming fast and we would have been hit if the other driver didn't slow down. I simply could not accelerate quickly enough. In fact, our acceleration was actually LESS than it would have been without tire slip because, again, the system applies the brakes! On some of my tests with traction control disabled, my acceleration is controllable as long as both wheels aren't spinning.

Ironically, being a gearhead, I now want to try smoking the tires (in the rain). Maybe an axle will break and I'll HAVE TO buy a newer Prius.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There were major changes in the traction control from Gen 1 to Gen 2. Just refinements since then.

It's been observed before that it's not designed as a system that can find the traction limit for you no matter what you do. It tries to follow your lead on the go pedal, and if you lead aggressively, it can end up in a dig-sulk-dig-sulk cycle that isn't helpful.

It ends up being most useful if you view it as a sort of narrow range of error correction around your own efforts to find the appropriate go-pedal input. As long as you are trying to find the right input that would not spin the tires even with no TC, the TC has your back if you overshoot slightly.

Under some conditions, there isn't a go-pedal input that will get you started safely in front of another car that's coming fast. In such conditions, it can be more realistic to wait for a better gap.

Skibob likes this.
  3. HerbMPG

HerbMPG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree with you except that the traction control will follow my lead. I've found that the system allows absolutely NO wheel slip, and applies the brakes when they do. It is of course better if I start gently (like an egg between my foot and the pedal as my father used to say). But any wheel slip and the system stops the car! I'm just wondering if the newer generations refinements have allowed for SOME slip so a Prius can get going.

4. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I had numerous 2gen, 3gen, and now a 4gen. In my opinion, the 3gen is better than the 2gen and the 4gen is better than both.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've had very good experiences with my 2008 Prius in the snow and slush. I would go so far as to say it is one of the best cars I've driven in these conditions.

I think the key is sensible driving techniques for the conditions. The traction control helps me to drive confidently in bad weather conditions. I've not had any problems with it.

We have all four seasons where we live and the Prius is my daily driver so I get plenty of experience in different conditions. I've been using the Prius for 10 years now. The one problem we encountered was about a year ago when we received over a foot of snow. This was just too deep to take the Prius out until the snow was knocked down by snow plows

I always wonder the condition and types of tires people have on when their traction control acts up. I'm not discounting anyones experiences just adding my own positive experience.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You would not be the first person to describe that as how the car feels like it's behaving, from the driver's seat, when you're frustrated and in a hurry. That doesn't mean it's what you would learn by instrumenting the car, or catching it carefully on video. The TC has allowed controlled amounts of slip in every generation starting with Gen 2, while selectively braking the more-slipping side. Videos are available of Gen 2s pulling vehicles out of sand, plowing snow, etc., where the TC behavior can be seen.

Or, if I've guessed wrong and you were speaking precisely with "I've found that the system allows absolutely NO wheel slip, and applies the brakes when they do", then that would be a genuinely interesting report, given enough detail to understand your methodology.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes they have been improved. Wheel spin is allowed on the Gen 3 and the Gen 4/Prime allows it too but I have limited experience with it for now. The Gen 3 will still pulse but it won’t kill power like the Gen 2.

8. Graeme1949

Graeme1949 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    An issue on my 2004 that I have had to learn to compensate for is wheel spin on certain pavement markings. Particularly at intersections where the stop line and/or a crosswalk are done in the thick hot-melt paint. I will experience wheel slip when accelerating from a stop and hit one of those markings. Dry or wet pavement. No matter how slow I try to accelerate. With three different sets of tires.

I just live with it & consider it a quirk of the car. Curiously, it has never triggered the stability/traction alarm.

The only time the stability/traction alarm has been triggered was one time when my wife was driving. We were taking an exit from I-95 in the Charlotte NC area, and going around the ramp an alarm sounded and a light started flashing. I had to look it up in the manual to find out what it was! The couple of times we have taken that exit since, I reminded her that this was the place to check the traction alarm

Since then we have moved from Atlanta to Maryland so we don't encounter that exit any more.

Regarding snow in Atlanta. Having grown up in Ontario, Colorado & Maryland, and spending a year in Alaska, I have had far more snow experience than the average Atlanta driver. So during Snowmageddon 1 we just stayed home for a few days. For Snowmageddon 2 we cleverly planned to be spending that week at a beach resort near San Diego, CA. Sent a lot of lovely beach pictures & snarky comments to our co-workers.

Now being retired in Maryland, staying home until the snow is cleared is the plan.

-Graeme-
    2004 Prius with >190,000 miles.
    Sent ?.

9. Rph74

Rph74 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I too have had a positive experience on my 2006. I drive like a 80 year old man when the snow and ice hits, so I’m never in a hurry. I prefer the conservative nature of the TC, and the stability control has saved me at least once when driving in ice rink like conditions.

We don’t see snow that much in SW Missouri, but if we do I’d just drive the FJ Cruiser. Otherwise, the Prius works just fine.

10. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nah, just invest in a decent set of snow tyres on their own set of rims! I had exactly the same problem on my 2009 Gen II back in the winter of 2014/2015 (remember that one?), and its tyres (60% worn Michelins) were about (as my old Dad would put it) "as useful as a one-legged man at an arse-kicking contest!". The next year I was ready and waiting with a set of new Blizzak WS80s, one of the best decisions I've ever made w.r.t. motoring! This year I replaced the WS80s with Antares Ice Grip 60 (studded) even though the Blizzaks had another season or two in them, but all the ice-storms and crud we've had dropped on us here in the NorthEast, boy am I glad I did! (…but, as they say, YMMV!!! :rolleyes:;)

11. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it happens a lot could it be your tires? Some brands of tires tend to spin more than others I’ve noticed. Any time I drive my 2005 Tacoma in the rain I have to be very careful. And those tires are almost brand new, I don’t drive that truck very much. Maybe 2000 miles a year?

12. HerbMPG

HerbMPG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for your experience! What really floored me is after knowing how the Prius would act, I took our 2010 two-wheel-drive RAV4 out the day after snowmageddon (2011 or 12?). It was solid ice everywhere, but I could not cause ANY problems in the RAV. I got started and kept going on several hills and never slid out of control. Of course, having lived in PA for 20 years, I know you can't go fast and must watch out for others. I attributed my success to more modern traction control, though I'm sure there are other factors.

Graeme1949 likes this.
  13. oil_burner

oil_burner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    well, in my opinion its kind of silly to sell your car because it doesn't perform well in the snow when you live in Atlanta...

I drive in the snow 8 months of the year, and yes the traction control always cuts too hard. So if you give it 30% and the pavement can only take 20% it might cut back to 10%. Then if you decide the car isn't moving and push the pedal to 80%, it further cuts it back to 5%. You really have to be gentle on the gas and just back off/reapply when it starts to slip, instead of pushing the gas pedal down further.

I think the main reason is that Toyota is very conservative and doesn't want the CV joints to snap, which would happen if they were allowed to spin up and suddenly grab traction IE wheel hop.