1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traction control light after removing steering wheel

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Oats, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Oats

Oats Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I removed the steering wheel to install a redlinegoods leather wrap. I disconnected the battery first. When I got everything reinstalled the traction control light was on.

The first time I put it back together the clock spring rotated (the wires plugged into the top must have been enough to rotate it 180 degrees). I just guessed which way to rotate it for the reinstall. When I drove the car I found out I guessed wrong. Had to pull the wheel again and rotate it around to the correct position. I'm not sure if that could have caused the traction light to come on.

Now in my RX8 when you disconnect the battery the traction light comes on until you turn the steering wheel from lock to lock. I tried that in the Prius but the light is still on.

I have a very basic obd2 scanner. I was under the impression it won't read traction or abs codes. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Bohemian Grove likes this.
  2. Bohemian Grove

Bohemian Grove Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you've got the paper clip already, for the love of Pete use it to retrieve the trouble code, which is what it's for.

Then, once you know what the trouble code is, you can try the clearing step if you want.

4. Bohemian Grove

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Your comment about leaving the parking brake off was a huge help. It’s instinct for me to leave the parking brake on, and my car wouldn’t go into diag mode with the flashing lights until I followed your advice... so thank you very much!!

My cheapo OBD scanner shows no codes. The trouble code can be determined by counting the flashing warning lights, when touching the CG and TC pins together?

I followed the linked PDF... touching the CG and TS pins together a bunch of times, then restarted the car with the pins already touching, the car then made weird brake system sounds. When the sounds stopped, the ABS light started flashing rapidly, and I turned it off. But my traction control / VSC light remains on.

Also, my aftermarket head unit’s reverse camera has a dynamic guidance line, which turns when you turn the steering wheel... but now, the guidance line is stuck turned all the way right, no matter if my wheel is straight. I turned the wheel to full lock both ways a couple times...

This makes me assume the steering wheel angle sensor is the problem, I’ve been trying to do the zero point calibration... I’ll keep trying today and maybe we’ll fix OP’s problem after all these years!

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    All it takes is putting the jumper betwixt Tc and CG, one time, leaving it there, and turning the car ON (no foot on brake, two power button presses). I am unaware of parking brake status having any bearing on that process.

There are some other procedures involving the Ts pin (not Tc) where which of two procedures you get is determined by whether the parking brake is on or off. But that's a different business from getting diagnostic codes.

6. Bohemian Grove

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you can decipher this then you are truly a wizard...

#6 Bohemian Grove, Aug 26, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just a matter of watching each light separately, tuning out the others.

ABS 42
    VSC 31 45
    ECB 48 66 95

(ECB is the ((!)) light.)

42 on the ABS light just means "hey, did you see the codes on your ECB light?".

31 on the VSC light is trouble code C1231, pertaining to the steering angle sensor. 45 just means "hey, did you see the codes on your ECB light?".

48 on the ECB light is C1392, stroke sensor zero point calibration undone. 66 is C1345, system wants to relearn its linear solenoid valve offset. 95 is C1203. That one's a little more obscure.

The C1231 could indicate a real issue with the angle sensor. There are three possible INF codes for that code, which would give you more information, but you'd need a good scan tool to read those. The workup section for C1231 in the manual has troubleshooting info.

The C1392 can be secondary to the C1345; it seems the linear solenoid offset learning procedure is also what learns the stroke sensor zero point.

C1345 is normally easy, you just follow the "INITIALIZATION" procedure for it in the repair manual. There is even a "without using the Techstream" procedure for it; that's one of the procedures that uses the Ts pin (instead of Tc), and it does depend on having the parking brake off.

You would start that procedure with a sequence that clears the old values (four pulses of Ts within 8 seconds). That step leaves you with ABS 42, VSC 45, and ECB 48, 66, 95. So if you have performed that step already, it explains all the codes you have except for the VSC 31 about the angle sensor.

So with those codes resulting from the clearing step, you'd normally just go on to the learning step (power off, connect Ts to CG, power back on, leave it alone until it's done making funny noises and the blink has changed to fast).

That should get you back to just having the C1231 to figure out.