1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traction control procedure

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by nelligan, Jun 4, 2012.

1. nelligan

nelligan New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

I know the question was asked many times, but not explicitly for the new Prius V: Does the procedure to disable traction control works on the Prius V? Anyone tried it?

Here's a copied-pasted reminder of the steps:

-------------------------------------------------
    How to disable the stability/traction control

These steps must be completed within 60 seconds.

Step 1: Set the ignition switch to ON, not READY. To do this press the power
    button two times, without pressing the brake pedal.

Step 2: While the transmission is still in park (P), fully press the gas pedal
    two times.

Step 3: Apply the parking brake to ensure that the vehicle will not move during
    this step. Put the transmission in neutral (N) and fully press the gas pedal two
    times.

Step 4: Put the transmission back in park (P) and fully press the gas pedal two
    times. The car will display "!Car!" in the upper left corner of the LCD screen.

Step 5: Press the brake pedal and turn the ignition switch to the start
    position, without going back to the ready position, to start the engine.

If these steps are followed correctly, the vehicle will start with the traction
    control system defeated.

Note: Some other threads report that a red car icon will flash in the upper-left corner of the display.

Xero101 likes this.
  2. Cap'n

Cap'n Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Uh ... is there an advantage to defeating this feature?

3. nelligan

nelligan New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I think so... in some extreme conditions. Just do a quick search on the forums and you will find lots of case where, according to the writer, it would have been useful to disable traction control.

Of course, probably each case is unique, and many times maybe just a good set of tires would have fixed the problem (some writers reported the tires made the difference... later).

The traction control of previous Prius (I and II) was reported as problematic because sometimes the car just stopped while "climbing" a steep hill / road/ driveway. Seems that gen. III "fixed" the problem by making it less agressive. Despite that, some guys used the disabling procedure in rare conditions.

So I was curious the know if the V have the same "feature".

4. Cap'n

Cap'n Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for that response.

If you go through the procedure you outlined to defeat the traction control, can you re-activate it while on the move?

IIRC, other cars I've owned had on on/off button on the dash which would seem to offer the driver more flexibility than perhaps we have on the v. At this point I'm not personally concerned but others might be.

5. nelligan

nelligan New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    According to other threads, the traction control will be reactivated next time you will start the car. (ie, power-off + power-on)

6. Scargod

Scargod Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yesterday I was trying to get up my driveway, with four inches of wet snow, for the first time in my new, 2013, Prius v. The driveway is slightly steep. I have a BMW 535xi and it gets up with no problem on all-season tires (with even more snow). I have an STi which has no issues.
    I have driven other people's cars up our drive when they could not. In almost every case theirs was a FWD car. I had NO luck with the Prius. In fact, as mentioned earlier, the car seemed to "just stop", and did nothing. No tire-spin, no nothing. This is normal in snow? What to do? Try the procedure of turning off the TC? I believe I switched it to "power" mode and it didn't help.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Even if it worked, personally, I wouldn't do it. I care about my transaxle.

From can you disable the tration controll? | PriusChat

The price tag is in the multi-kilobucks and it's warranted normally for at least 5 years/60K miles. I wouldn't want to damage it by doing something that you're not supposed use for driving the car.
    Your STi and 535xi are AWD. You may have better luck backing up the driveway...​

8. Scargod

Scargod Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Duh, I know what my cars are.:censored: What good is my brand-new car if it has to sit when other crappy FWD cars can get up the drive?
    I'm going to try my STi's snow tires on it and if that does not work, after I blow up the drive system trying, then I'll be building a bonfire under it.
    You are right, I might have better luck backing up. I'll try that after and if the snow tires fail.

9. Jzerocsk

Jzerocsk Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If anything, I imagine ECO mode would be better than PWR mode in this situation.

10. MarathonMarty

MarathonMarty Prii 4-timer

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have to drive up a fairly steep hill (approximately 17% grade) for about 2/10ths of a mile to get to my residence. It's also very narrow with parking allowed on only one side and a lot of the time it doesn't get plowed or de-iced for some length of time. I have never had a problem driving up this hill with any of my Prii but of course I'm using the excellent studless Blizzak snow tire. Have been using them on all of my vehicles, past and present, for the last 10 years or so. I recommend them highly.

11. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Regarding coming to a stop and not being able to continue up a slippery slope, I think it is partly about learning to press harder on the gas pedal. Like how I had to learn to stomp, stay, and steer on the brake pedal (steer with steering wheel) with anti lock brakes, instead of pumping them to avoid skidding. It is just a little scary trusting the vehicle to safely apply more power on a slippery area.

I have gotten stuck on two different ice/snow covered driveways. Both times I could see how from a stop, spinning my tires could have caused me to slide sideways while I created a nice ice path under the tires. Both times I backed up and tried again with a little more initial momentum and a pressing the gas pedal more and got up the driveways in a controlled manner.

I have disabled traction control on my Prius v wagon, just to see if I could. The secret is to press the brake pedal in step 3 while you shift into Neutral. I would only drive without traction control as a last resort, if I couldn't backup and retry or go around the problem area. I think that it is just too easy to over heat or over rev an electric motor or the Hybrid Synergy Drive. I remember watching a report on how regular ICE vehicles can do damage to the transmission getting out of slippery situations if it took more than 10 min or involved a lot of rocking back and forth. The damage often would not show up until later. Alas a quick search did not produce any links to reference.

anewhouse likes this.
  12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Chazz8 likes this.
  13. Xero101

Xero101 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks "nelligan". I just wanted to let all know that instructions work on gen 2 prius 2007 (JDM version) means japanese local model, as well. I have read at several places that gen 2 traction system can't be bypassed. I just tried it few mins ago and an icon of red car with "!" mark in the middle is displayed on lcd screen on left top corner.
    I havent tried it by driving, but soon might have to, because I'll be visiting an area where two ppl had to give a push to make the car climb a bit of steep slippery part of a hill area on my previous visit.
    Thanks again and I'll report back after my next visit about how did it go

bisco likes this.
  14. Xero101

Xero101 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi. Thanks all for the encouragement !
    Well, i did visit the same place where i had the traction control troubles i.e my 2007 prius wont climb a steep height due to the traction control kicking in every time the tyre spin.
    This time i followed the procedure and turned off the TC. To my surprise , the car climbed nicely and this time the tyres seemed not to spin, or i couldn't notice.
    So, i confirm that turning off the TC does make a huge difference and ppl should know about it.