1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traction Control question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Phred, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Phred

Phred New Member

I've searched through older threads to find some explanation for what happened with the traction control this morning, but even though I have a greater understanding about how the system works, I'm wondering if ours is behaving properly. :huh:

I was driving through San Francisco, on a street with a steady (but not steep) downhill grade. There were stop signs at every corner, so I was coasting and then braking at the approach to each intersection. My max speed was around 22 mph. The street was wet-ish because it was a very foggy, moist morning. Four separate times the yellow "slippery car" icon came on (no beeping) and the car had a shuddery kind of feel as I was braking. I wasn't braking hard, and as soon as I came to a full stop, I was able to proceed normally through the intersection.

My concern is that it happened repeatedly. Does this sound like the normal operation of the traction control system?

We've had the car for 2 months and neither my husband nor I have had the traction control kick in before. We've driven down this same street a number of times, although perhaps not when the road was as damp as it was this AM.

Thanks so much for any advice! :)

2. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Were there any small potholes or bumps in the road? The symptom you describe happens to me all of the time when ABS kicks in and potholes are usually the culprit. It works like this:

-You're decelerating using regenerative braking when you hit a bump.
    -The car senses one of the wheels slipping so it goes "oh, crap, time for ABS!" It doesn't take much of a bump for this to happen. (Obviously, just a wet road could do it under the right circumstances.)
    -It immediately kills regenerative braking and goes to friction brakes instead, which can be noticed by the driver. Feels like it lets go for a half a second and then grabs.
    -You complete your stop under friction brakes and eventually the computer reverts to normal operation with regenerative braking. This can take a minute or two.

Does this correlate to what you experienced?

3. Phred

Phred New Member

I didn't notice any potholes or bumps, although I won't discount that theory. The street I was driving over has lots of water/power/repair patches. The sequence that you described is exactly what occurred, except that I was able to return to normal operation immediately.

It seemed as if the car was slipping/sliding a little, and I thought it might be due to the damp road. But because the traction control kicked in over and over again, I began to be concerned that there was a problem with the traction system itself.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Try lowering tire pressure. What psi do you have now?

5. Phred

Phred New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Jul 22 2007, 01:59 PM) [snapback]483215[/snapback]</div>
    40/38. We could certainly lower the pressure if that would help. We'll probably see if the situation repeats itself over the next few days of driving...

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Phred @ Jul 22 2007, 04:00 PM) [snapback]483233[/snapback]</div>
    The Goodyear Integrity OEM tires are bad. If you still have those, you will get a lot of traction issues. Otherwise, what you described is normal. The Prius was loosing traction during regenerative braking, which is done with the front tires only. Wet pavement, sand, gravel, or bumps can cause the tires to loose traction. We see it around here with the snow and ice in the winter.

Tom

7. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Jul 22 2007, 06:36 PM) [snapback]483290[/snapback]</div>
    I would like to see some experimental evidence to back this statement.

8. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Jul 22 2007, 03:36 PM) [snapback]483290[/snapback]</div>
    I wouldn't go so far as to say they are "bad" tires. I'd say they are good for only about 30,000 miles. :rolleyes:
    . . . then, when you go out and get new tires (hopefully not Integrities :blink:), you will find many of the minor Traction Control occurrences will disappear. At least that was my experience.

Oh, by the way, I too have had the Trac do the same thing on wet hills in San Francisco with the Integrity tires. I'm glad I no longer have those POS.

9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    This isn't the traction control, it's the anti-lock brakes. Traction control activates when you spin a wheel under power. It's normal for ABS to cut in -every time- you skid a tire. Time after time, if necessary. The car shudders because a wheel skids, then grips, then skids. Nothing to worry about. If you live in San Fran and are worried about it doing this, get better tires. Rain tires or tires that have a lot of "siping" will work better in this environment. Tire pressure will have only minimal effect.

While a lot of people don't like the Goodyear Integrities, they aren't "bad", just cheap. Most replacements work better. I have only skidded my new Integrities once so far. I do plan to replace them this fall with Nokian WR tires. Now -they- would work well for you on wet roads.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Jul 22 2007, 06:49 PM) [snapback]483355[/snapback]</div>
    53,600kms in on the stock tyres and they're already starting to slip in damp conditions.... (rained the last few days.. actually i think the entire week)

11. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    ABS and Traction control invoke antilock by "pulse modulating" the brake hydraulic pressure to prevent total lockup of the wheel compared to the other wheels. This causes a "Jittering" effect when this happens. You really have to stomp the brakes hard to make this happen.

As for the Goodyear Integrity, you can read the crappy 460 treadwear value right on the side of the tire. This is about as low as you will see with a major OEM tire. The high end tires have treadwear values of 760 to 800. As far as experimental evidence, they are in a tire dump, since I experimented with Low Rolling Resistance Tires that wore out fast since the treadwear values were never better than 500. After that expensive lesson with fast wearing tires, I learned about treadwear ratings and have been amazed at how long the 740 to 800 rated tires last.

12. Phred

Phred New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Jul 22 2007, 08:49 PM) [snapback]483355[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, I assumed that the yellow 'slippery car' warning light indicated the traction control had engaged (esp. after reading other posts on the subject). :)

So, is the following statement correct? The 'slippery car' icon lights up when 1) the anti lock brakes are engaged, or 2) traction control is engaged, and 3) adds a warning beep for stability control.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FL_Prius_Driver @ Jul 22 2007, 09:20 PM) [snapback]483377[/snapback]</div>
    Well this troubles me, because I was nowhere close to stomping on the brakes when the warning light come on and the car jittered a bit. I was decelerating at a fairly steady pace from the halfway point of each block to each stop sign, with a light touch on the brake pedal. Urg. If it contines to happen, I guess we'll need to have it checked out.

Thanks everyone! And we may well be replacing the tires sooner rather than later.