1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trade in '11 Prius III for a '12 Prius C?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Phish0742, May 3, 2012.

1. Phish0742

Phish0742 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I saw the Prius C the other day and absolutely love the interior compared to my 2011 Prius III. I decided that I want to trade in and get it. My car is 9 months old with 11,500 miles. I paid $26,500 for it in July (when demand was super high with supplies low).

The dealership is only offering me $19,300 for the trade in. That seems ridiculously low. Kelly Blue Book is saying I should be getting $23-24k for the trade. Does it sound like I am getting ripped off?

2. krazypriuslady

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Compare to craigslist and check out other dealers for the trade.
    I went in to look at the '12C and left with a '11 gen 3. I liked the extra space but that C sure is cute.
    My '11 was about $23k new (march 2012) so you may be expecting too much.

3. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I could not imagine taking a $6,000 loss because I like the interior better on a newer car.

In order to cover a $6,000 loss you need to earn $9,000 to cover taxes, SS and Medicare. I do not know what your yearly income is but look at these numbers

If you make $30,000 you would have to work 3 months just to pay for that loss.
    If you make $120,000 you would have to work 1 month just to pay for that loss.

4. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You should always sell it in a private sale instead if you find someone who will buy it and chances are you will.

5. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    And if you can sell it for high enough to make up the tax savings you would get when trading it in. Sometimes we forget about that.

And depending on the trade-in offer, that tax savings and not having to hassle with a private sale could make it worth it just to trade it in. As an example, I was thinking of trading mine in. The offer I was able to get them to agree on for my trade was 16k. I would have had to sell the car privately for 17k just to break even with the trade offer. But I ended up selling it privately for 18k so I made out in my favor to the tune of 1k.

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't love the smaller interior space and less robustness of c on highway. Plus, no PWR MODE in c.

7. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think the Prius C will be best for someone doing more city driving or that they want a Prius but can't afford the extra money.

8. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The problem you have with a late model, newer low mile car is that folks will immediately compare to to a new one. If I sell a new 2012 with 0 miles for $24,500 to $25K, I as a dealership cannot pay anywhere near 22K for yours, no matter what Kelley or any other internet source says. Once we pay all that $$ to certify and service and clean, we couldn't even break even after we sell it.

9. jmknoll

jmknoll Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I wouldn't do that ... I own a C and a Prius 3rd gen. They have very similar gas mileage ... the 3rd gen can actually do better on the highway than the C. You will lose more than you can possibly gain. Don't get me wrong, both cars are fantastic but that is the point ... both are fantastic. There is no upgrade going to a C. Wait for the 100% electric Prius ...

10. deltheking

deltheking Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I will be frank here. Why would you do this ?? Seriously ! It is crazy. Why would you buy an inferior car and take a bath on the trade in ?

Dianne is spot on. A late model car - cant be priced like new. Folks always will then buy a new car. Trading in a car in the first 3 years is always always a losing scenario unless suddenly your metal turns into gold.

So , my sincere and honest advice - keep driving your Prius till the wheels fall off !!