1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trade in value vs. time

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Steve terry, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Steve terry

Steve terry Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    On most cars that my wife gets We trade them in after 3 years or a little more. (Spoiled I know). My 2013 Prius is the first new car I have bought for myself. Now that I am retired and only work one job, I want the new 2016 Prius. Mainly for comfort and quieter ride. I have a bad back and the seat in my 2013 kills me driving 75 miles a day for work. My question is, when does the Prius go from a good trade in to not so good due to age and miles on it? I owe $15,000 and right now it is only worth about $11,000. But I have only had it 4 months shy of 3 years. Have 50,000 miles on it.
    When should I talk myself into pulling the trigger?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can't be retired, and only work one job.:p

i think the longer you keep a car, the better the value. that being said, you might try a private sale to increase your return on investment, instead of a trade in, which costs many thousands of dollars. all the best!(y)

Redpoint5 and Steve terry like this.
  3. Steve terry

Steve terry Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I used to be a fireman / medic on ambulance and cut lawns in summer. And now only work as a medic.

iPhone ?

24 years on fire Dept and now a pension

iPhone ?

#3 Steve terry, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2016
    bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can't beat that gig.:) i had to work 40 years, no pension, no nothing, just savings and investments.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oy vey! Not uncommon though. So many people are "shorting" cars, and that's a short that always backfires.

We've always waited till we've got the cash. Simpler, cheaper.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe try some seat mods until you can afford to switch?

if you can afford it, now is a great time to buy, then sell the old one when gas goes back up.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Steve terry

Steve terry Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I tried some stuff but was thinking of seeing if a better seat from something else would fit. Then I am good for a while.

iPhone ?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are a few threats here on seat swapping, if you can find them. everything from camry to recaro.

9. Steve terry

Steve terry Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yea it is a good gig. But my body and mind paid for it. But beats 40 hard years and nothing.

iPhone ?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i was fortunate enough to get a lot of pesticide exposure as a golf course superintendent. we'll see how that pans out...:eek:

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Almost seems like you're putting on 75 miles a day, to make car payments, and breaking your back in the process. Sell it, cut your losses, pack in the job, go back to one car situation?

mmmodem likes this.
  12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First, I think you need to re-evaluate your definition of retired.

Then what I'm taking from your entire statement is " I want the 2016 Prius".
    OK.

If you can afford it? Want it? Go for it.

As far as what your current Prius is worth? Well it's worth what it's worth. There are plenty of tools online to access value, Either as a trade in or as a private sale.

But basically once evaluating the current value, pulling the trigger sooner usually preserves the greater value. Very, very rarely does waiting ever result in a newer vehicle gaining value.

I suppose if gasoline prices suddenly spiked upwards? Well maybe...
    But basically, if you want the Gen 4 Prius? My advice would use all available tools to ascertain the value of your current ride, and then go make the deal for the new one ASAP.

Redpoint5 likes this.
  13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Start posting it for sale at$15000 now, someone will by it or give you an offer you can accept.

Or you can trade it in for a Gen4 and apply the upside down amount to your new loan. It won't be that bad if you spread it out 5 years

SM-N900P ?

#13 JC91006, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  14. Steve terry

Steve terry Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Want 4 gen but still upside down. That was the main question, when will high miles and age out pace the trade in value. I know it is not a simple answer but high miles do effect value.

Good observation on wanting gen 4 but need to wait until owe equal trade value.

iPhone ?

Merged

Just read another thread with basically the same question. Thanks for the info.

iPhone ?

#14 Steve terry, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2016
  15. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well since you are continuing to drive it, and adding miles, and time keeps passing, I wouldn't feign to know when you might pass the tipping point where what you owe equals the trade in value.

You could expedite the entire operation by doing as suggested and attempting to sell it privately for what you owe.

Otherwise, I suppose your forced to keep making payments, while simultaneously keeping an eye on the value of your vehicle.

16. VovCA

VovCA Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There no guaranty that chair on 2016 will be better, also may be there more serous problem than chair. Besides why take car of the first model year?

17. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you're interested in making the best financial decision, then buying new and doing a trade-in is the most expensive way to own a vehicle. Buying and selling privately cuts the middleman out of the transaction. This is the objective truth of the matter.

My subjective opinion is that I don't like to own the first 2 years of a refreshed model just because there are often problems that get resolved in later production years, along with mid-model refreshes.

I too have a bad back due to a herniated L5-S1 disc and find my manual seats to be adequate, although I'll get stiff on a long trip no matter what seat I'm in. Perhaps there is a way to improve seat comfort by adding lumbar support, or a pad or changing the seat position. I bring a memory foam pillow in to work to sit on while I work my 13hr shift.

The best thing would be to do exercises / stretches that strengthen the back and core muscles; something I'm not very diligent to do. It really only takes me about 10 min every other day when I actually do the exercises, and I notice improvement, but sticking to the routine is the important part.

18. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    How many miles on the car? The cheapest way to own a car for three years is to lease ... lowest miles .. no money down. Full gap.

19. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Agreed. Health is expensive. I'd sell now.

There is no line or calculation that says bad or a good time to sell a car. Depreciation is steep at first but levels out the longer you owe the vehicle. The moment you drive all the dealer's lot with a new car is the worst moment. The depreciation slows down the longer you own it. None of that matters if your back hurts. Put it another way, you're suggesting waiting until equal trade-in which is $4000. How much is your back worth for the rest of your life?

20. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Just a guess, but when you are in your last year of payments, you should be good to go, enjoy your new '19.