1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trade my Gen2 for a 2013 Gen3?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by PriusGuy32, Feb 3, 2015.

1. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I like my 2007 Level 5, Ive added pvc heated seats, etc etc but truth be told, the style of that generation is wearing on me and the Gen3's are looking much more attractive now that the used prices have come down a lot with these cheap gas prices. My current Prius has 96000 miles now and needs a dent fixed on the front fender and drivers side door ($500) and new set of summer tires (another $500). Plus my ICE water pump has been displaying signs of impending doom.

I found a 2013 Level 2, black with 45000 miles for $15000. 1 owner car, no red flags- carfax is flawless, brand new (no name) tires. It also has the touch screen (no nav). But for extra options - thats about it.

BUT the car is pretty basic. I'd have to add the backup camera, the homelink mirror and heated seats. That might cost me $350 total ($120 camera kit on amazon, $50 for the mirror on ebay, and $110 for the heated seats).

OH the dealer is willing to give me payoff for my 2007 (y) Help. Should I trade up?

2. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nah, you've got yours the way you want it, the new car's not equipped the way you want it and the no brand tires could do serious damage to the fuel mileage.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    change is good! and some fortunate person will get your upgraded vehicle!(y)

4. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :LOL:

You are such a turd.... :D What a smooth thing to say to give me sellers remorse!! :confused:

bisco likes this.
  5. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Just keep your current car and pay it off before you get another one, rolling over a car loan is the fast way to reach poverty.

6. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ugh. Ok Mom :LOL:

They are paying off my current Prius, of which I put $0 down on when I bought it. Also, the new Prius payment should be the same I am paying now (around $265/mo). However, I might consider kicking the car note up to 36 or 48 months. I also might be able to persuade my Board of Directors to have my car note paid as a company benefit in the near future. Another consideration....

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hmm, board of directors, mom, dad, spouse, friend...

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I always speculate that "IF" someone asks in a forum...should I do this?...they really want to do it.

Even though this Gen 3 is more basic...glancing at your profile would suggest to me that you kind of like doing mods and adding extra's?

Also this new vehicle gives you a newer Hybrid Battery. You are approaching 8 model years on your current.

Is it "economically" wise?
    You're probably never going to win that argument on paper.

But if the newer vehicle gives you X amount of years more without a growing number of "nagging" repairs?

Plus if "modding" it affords you some fun?

Then the cost of making this move...will be worth it.

So I guess my advice is...if you want to do it? And you can afford it? Do it and have fun. There is tangible advantage to 1/2 the total miles, and a much newer vehicle, even if economical truth would dictate just keeping the vehicle you have now is wiser.

Sometimes I find advantage in abandoning conventional wisdom.

hkmb likes this.
  9. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Im still thinking about this potential purchase. And you are right, Electric Me, I DO love tinkering and adding mods to my cars (y)

Pros
    Newer
    1/2 the miles of my 2007
    Dealer will pay the balance of my 2007 off, which is market value
    Wont have to replace cracked windshield in my 2007 ($300)
    Wont have to replace summer tires in my 2007 ($500)
    Wont have to have dent fixed in my 2007 ($500)
    Wont have to perform 100k maintenance in my 2007 ($500)
    2013 Gen3 gets better mpgs than my 2007
    2013 Gen3 is faster than my 2007 & has EV mode
    2013 Gen3 has brand new tires
    Ability to finance 2013 Prius for 3 or 4 years, instead of 5 like my current 2007 loan

Cons
    Im back at square one with equity
    Car payment increases $30/month
    Uncertainty of past owner treatment/maintenance (Only 1 entry in Toyota Owners site for service history, but several in carfax).
    Car has less options (although, the options I want ARE add-able)
    Insurance is a slight tick more
    All my extra cash goes to my retirement so I really have little liquid cash to put down on car *Possible problem if bank requires it
    Just putting this one here so your eyes dont focus on the last one when you reply :D

I dont know what else to say except I have priced out (and found a youtube video) on adding the OEM backup camera. It is about $120 for the kit and takes 1-2 hours.

I am a horrific waffler when it comes to big ticket purchases - and I feel thats a natural reaction and one that has kept me out of lots of trouble. However, for some reason I just feel I would have no regrets with this purchase. It feels too "right".

10. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Brand new, no-name tires are not really a plus in my book. I would say they're neutral at best, considering they'll likely cost you a few MPG and may wear out fast. Also, what tires would you be paying $500 for? I got my Ecopias for under $400 from Costco when they were having a $70 off sale on a set of 4. And you don't have to fix the dents. ;)

I know how you feel with wanting change, but believe me, paying off a car and having no payment feels even better.

11. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I cant seem to find them for cheap, and I really wanted the Energy Saver A/S (Michelin) which come recommended here... I bought my 2007 with off-brand tires too; the owner had just put new tires on it before they sold it to me. The are Mastercraft LSR something or others, and have been pretty good tires!

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I suppose I would feel bad if I felt I recommended doing this and it turned out horrible.

It's a tough decision. There's always risk in buying a used car.

To flip on my original advice, I'd say an important thing is being as sure and confident about the condition of the vehicle you are purchasing. The vehicle you have now, may have issues, and impending issues, but it's been your vehicle and you know about them.

Man....this is a tough decision...now I'm not sure...

Good Luck.

13. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This isn't tough at all, really.

From a financial perspective, owing money on an 8-year-old car and then wanting to trade it in so that you can owe MORE money on a two year old car isn't my idea of frugal or wise.

Plus, as the Electric Dude wisely pointed out, you KNOW the car that you have. Have you ever towed with it? Has it ever been towed? ...or wrecked? Has somebody burned four tanks of E85 in the car to save money and then cleared out the CEL? Has it ever been run low on oil? Has somebody ever accidentally put windshield washer fluid in the radiator?

You may know all f these things about your G2, But what about the G3? Why did it need new tires at 45K?
    If it's such a great car?
    Why is it for sale?
    Also....you're dealing with a dealer. A perfect CARFAX history only means that there has been no (reported!!) incidents. It's a lot better than nothing, but it doesn't mean that the car has led a pampered, garaged life!

I drive a G3, and I like it a LOT better than the G2's that my company has, but if I were in your shoes I would keep the G2 in a heartbeat for the simple reason that paid-for cars drive and ride better! :)

Having a house that's paid off is a great feeling too.
    Buying cars every other year is one great way to build wealth.....for the people selling the cars! :)

The reason that you're balking on the decision may be the fact that the math part of your brain is trying to override the impulse-decision part.

Good Luck!

14. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OP, what kind of advice did you think you were going to get from a crowd of OCD Prius owners? :ROFLMAO:

I say, if you can't afford it, stick with what you've got.

If you can afford it, go for it. YOLO.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  15. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks guys!!! What I have determined is the angel on my one shoulder, and the devil on the other are now both fighting each other :LOL::LOL:

I just re-read the carfax report, and missed something earlier - it was a rental car. I dont know that I feel comfortable buying an ex-rental. I might go and drive it again and see.

16. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad you caught that(y)

17. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Whats the consensus on ex-rental cars?? Stay away at all costs? Or no problem?

18. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    You can probably find a brand new leftover 2014 prius 2 for around 21k +/-, throw in the 0% apr for 60 and not sure what you owe on your 07 but if you get a decent trade in your payment at 0% might stay the same or go down, it would obviously be extended though… I just did a quick KBB search and it seems your 07 level 5 is worth around 6-8k on a dealer trade in in good shape..

21k new prius
    8k trade assuming high trade.

14k ($230-$240 mo/60) very roughly after taxes and fees would be financed assuming no note on your 07, you said you do owe some so add that in and go from there.. with this scenario you have a brand new car with full warranty… even if you owe 3k on your 07, your payment would still be under $300..

or

stick with what ya have..

19. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    really?? lol!!!

Have you every rented a car! 99% of people drive them like…… well……. Rental cars. haha!!

I'd personally steer clear of an ex rental.

20. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    +100
    I've rented a lot of cars. Never buy a rental (n)