1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trade Prius for Chevrolet Volt

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by Geneva Prius, Jan 25, 2014.

1. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Five years ago there was a desire here to pound every driver into a Prius shaped hole. One advantage of a model lineup is that we can easier see different owners need different cars. (Even if *GASP* some of them are not Prius)

A rising tide lifts all boats. I wish you smooth sailing.

babybird likes this.
  2. Geneva Prius

Geneva Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've had my Volt for almost three months. Unlike my Prius, there were no squeaks and rattles when it was new. Now it's beginning to have the occasional squeak. Other than that, I love the car. I've hardly used any gas as I charge at home and at work. Charging at work isn't absolutely necessary, though, as my electric range has been around 54 miles on a 50 mile commute. But it's less expensive to charge at work, so why not? It doubles my electric range. I'm getting 135 mpge (after charging losses, which account for 20% of the energy). I purchased a meter to check GMs charging data, which turned out to be accurate, so I don't use the meter any more. I have no idea about my gas mileage, but I know it won't compete with the 60 mpg I got from my Prius.

I quickly got used to the quietness of the Volt. It doesn't take long to forget what an ICE sounds like. Even when I had the Volt on the gas engine, I couldn't hear it. I "forced" it to go on gas once, to see if it would work, and ran out of battery juice only once, so that it was running on the ICE for the last 8 miles to my house. I'm looking forward to a longer trip, so that I can get gas efficiency data.

I've not heard of any battery issues from other owners. Not even after three years of ownership. But I live in Florida, and the Volt seems to like "hot" temperatures (in the low 90s) rather than "cold" temperatures (in low 40s). Air conditioning has an impact on range, but not as much as it takes to keep the batteries warm. Interestingly, even with air conditioning, I get better range in the low 90s than when the temperature is in the low 70s, which is supposed to be ideal for the batteries. It will be interesting when it gets to 100F, between keeping me cool and the batteries cool.

babybird likes this.
  3. Mormegil

Mormegil Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    I get really crappy mpg on ICE for 2 reasons. The 2 typical scenarios I use the ICE is when I run an errand after work, and barely go over my EV range - so the ICE is on for less than 5 minutes. Not enough time to warm up, so my mileage is poor (just like the first 5 minutes on my 2007 Prius).

The other scenario is long weekend drives on the freeway, where I hit 75 mph. Also not good for mileage.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The 2010 introduced faster warm-up time. The plug-in model reduced it even further.

It will be interesting to find out what the next generation models will bring.

babybird likes this.
  5. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    One of the factors is warmer air is less dense. So as long as the added energy from the AC is less than the lesser energy required to move through the air, you can continue to see gains.

6. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    One of the factors is warmer air is less dense. So as long as the added energy from the AC is less than the lesser energy required to move through the air, you can continue to see gains.

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    (1) If it's a 2014 less chance of it being a mistake.
    (2) You live in FlatLand so the 1.4L engine will be able to keep up without issue and you should get decent fuel economy relative to the rating.
    (3) You live in a hot climate so the climate control won't have a problem keeping up.

Thanks for choosing to burn less gasoline.

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yesterday, I was on a closed track.... chasing a Tesla P85+ with a Volt. It was quite amusing.

There's no contest that Volt delivers more EV power and better handling, an upgrade to Prius without debate, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Tesla.

Audience has always been the primary issue. Toyota aimed squarely at middle-market, those buyers who were looking for something reliable, affordable, practical, and comfortable. GM didn't; instead, their target was enthusiasts. There would be nothing at all wrong with that if there was also a choice offered for their everyday customers. So, we ended up with an unbalanced choice which fits some people really well. Just not something for the masses.

The tax-credit makes Volt a bargain right now. If the tradeoff is a nice fit for you, go for it. Remember, some purchase decisions carry emotional weight. So, choosing doesn't have to totally be a factor of looking good on paper. There are of course considerations like resale value to keep in mind, since the market for plug-in vehicles is rapidly evolving. Some regret may come in a year or so when the next generation is revealed.

These are definitely interesting times.

babybird, Jeff N and Ursamajor like this.
  9. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nice posting, John.

10. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In Oct. 2013 we purchased a 2014 Volt. With the tax credit and $4,000 off MSRP the price came to $26,000 about
    the same we paid for our 2010 Prius III in May of 2009 when we purchased it. The Volt was also financed 100% with a GM special of 0% interest through Ally Financial.

We still have our Prius and the Volt is a great car. My wife drives to work 32 miles round trip and never needs to
    put gas in it. We have a level 2 charger that can charge the battery from empty to full in 3hrs 50 minutes.

With the Prius still in our stable and our new Volt we have the best of both worlds. I have noticed that the Volt does not get as good the MPG's when running on pure gas mode as the Prius. Even though the Volt can still get in the low 40's mpg's when driven reasonably. Now with warmer weather a recent trip just on gas mode with our Volt delivered over 43 mpg and the Volt does not over estimate mpg's like the Prius, if anything it under estimates. Electric range also as increased from 35-38 miles now to about 42-45 miles on a charge.

As far a driving the Volt beats the Prius hands down....

babybird likes this.
  11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Another could be the battery's thermal control system's logic. In 70 degree temps, the battery might be warm, but not warm enough to take action. At 90, system starts actively cooling the battery to a temp where it is more efficient than when in the 70s. That efficiency increase at the battery could be greater than the loss of the cooling.

But it is likely a host of things. Less denser air, plus increased tire pressure also add in. The tires will be about 2psi more filled at 90 v. 70.