1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traded my Prius C for a Hybrid Camry

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by NR427, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Never! :p Here's mine last Spring, nearly 5 years old (and 5 years of harsh winters).

IMG_3598.JPG

2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    co-worker is trading in his hybrid Camry for hatchback. Can't live with this:
    [​IMG]

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what am i looking at, the rear seat pass through?

4. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yeap. you won't be hauling much in Camry.
    Agree with OP Gen3 dashboard is hard to swallow after "C".

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, the camry is for the 90% of drivers who like sedans and don't haul much. i prefer a hatch myself. the trouble is building hybrids on existing platforms imo. much cheaper though.

6. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would like to see how they've done hybrid Yaris. Had to remove rear seat in "C" and was impressed how neat they packaged it. Basically they stretched car in the middle, and then moved rear seat forward to create space for batteries. Then covered it all with a faux plastic panel.

Interesting to see how this would translate to Gen4 and TNGA. Perhaps if it is part of the TNGA rear part bin, they will be able to convert any non-hybrid to hybrid by replacing rear module.

7. NR427

NR427 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Six month update: 3900 miles with 43 mpg lifetime. The last tank was 46 mpg, the temperatures are steadily rising here and soon the A/C use might drop the mpg a little. I do love how cold the A/C blows even on eco mode, it's much better than my 2010 V6 Camry was.
    I had to take it in to the dealer for a recall on the power steering. The inspection showed my car was not effected but it took about an hour. I wandered around the showroom while I was waiting and now I'm interested in the Rav4 hybrids coming next year. Part of my interest is that trunks are not as versatile as a hatchback style vehicle. I had to pick up a small plastic slide for my daughters birthday and it was two inches too long to fit in the trunk, and it wouldn't fit in the back seat. I ended up laying the passenger seat all the way down and doing some crazy acrobatics to get it through the door. I'm sure it would have fit in my Prius C with the back seat down no problem.
    Overall I'm still very happy with my Camry and would recommend one to anybody that wants a mid-size sedan.
    Nicholas

bisco and ftl like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    (y) ours is almost two years old. similar mpg's i think. need to take it in for the blind spot monitor. other than that, it's been perfect.

9. NR427

NR427 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One year update: Wow time flies! I'm at 6500 miles and 43mpg average. I just got the first oil change last month based on time not miles. It still drives great and the only wear I've noticed is the skip button on the steering wheel is starting to get shinny. I've backed off some on car washes, but I still kind of wish I would have got a silver one. I think this will be my last white car. I was drooling over the blue metallic SE limited edition that was in the showroom last month, I wish they would make it a model wide option.
    The A/C did great over the summer. I never even took it out of eco mode, and I'm a polar bear and like it cold! I'm expecting the MPG to drop a little now that it is getting colder here.
    Overall I have enjoyed the car very much, and would recommend one to anybody that doesn't need a huge trunk. But sadly my time with the Camry will be over soon. My wife is going to drive it when the Leaf I ordered gets here. I'll post all about it when it shows up.
    Nicholas

NuttyKat likes this.
  10. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    To each his own, me, I love my Avalon even though I never use the sunroof and entune remains a mystery to me since I don't own smart phone, but I'm hooked on quiet and comfort, worth it to me.

bisco likes this.
  11. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How do you feel about the darkness of your tint?

Are you able to see vividly/sharply at night though the tint?

I had "limo" tint on my car when I was I high school, and I remember having a hard time seeing sometimes, but that was ages ago.

Just wondering about your experience after a year.

Thx

12. NR427

NR427 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I love the tint. I have 50%-5%, and I wish the sides were darker but 50% is the limit on the sides in Utah. But I'm the type that won't go outside without sunglasses. At night I usually flip the mirror to kill the headlight brightness even with the 5% in the back. My last few cars were all tinted the same and sometimes it would be hard to see backing up at night, but now I have a camera that works great.
    I also love the heat rejection from the tint. I can tell a HUGE difference if the windshield is parked facing the sun vs the rear window. I'll get the same tint in my next car.
    Nicholas

13. NR427

NR427 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well after two and a half years and 14000 miles I traded in the Camry on a 2017 Kia Optima Plug-in Hybrid. After driving my Leaf for a while the regular hybrid was making me crazy. The biggest problem was the warm up penalty. I drive a lot of short trips and the mileage is horrible during the warm up. Once you get used to driving an electric car burning gas every day is kind of depressing.
    Anyway I'm loving the Kia so far. I can make it to work and back without firing the ICE.(y) It is very nice to drive and has tons of room inside. Overall I'm very happy with the upgrade. I was hoping on getting a Prius Prime but the interior was way too small for my family. That led me to a Sonata Plug in but the dealers around here were giving me the run around on special ordering one. I test drove this Kia a couple times and the dealer gave me a deal I couldn't pass up. (It seems much easier to get a deal on a car that is sitting on the lot than one they have to order in.)
    Now I'm looking forward to many years of (mostly) electric motoring. Anyone else have experience with Optima or Sonata Plug-ins? They seem pretty rare around here. Pictures or it didn't happen. 20170508_181921.jpg 20170508_181905.jpg

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i know exactly how you feel, congrats!(y) it makes me crazy that toyota is so slow with plug in's. my wife could be doing 80% ev with a plug in hycam.
    it's so bad, she takes my pip for most of the local stuff, if i'm not using it.
    how many miles of ev do you typically get?
    how is the trunk space and pass through?

#34 bisco, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
    LasVegasaurusRex likes this.
  15. NR427

NR427 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So far it always shows 29 miles with a full charge. I'm not sure if it learns my usual driving habits or not.(n) The trunk space is smaller than the hycam and no pass through. I used the pass through on my Camry exactly zero times so I don't think I'll miss it. If I need to take lots of cargo I'll use my wife's Sienna van. ;)

bisco likes this.