1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traded my Prius for a CT!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by E46Prius, Feb 17, 2016.

1. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    3fc3a334-bb30-44a5-8157-79fa341b6b75 - Copy.jpg My time here on PriusChat was short lived. Anyway I traded my 2015 Prius for a 2016 CT200h F-Sport. I'm extremely happy with it! The gas mileage went down. Getting 39.5 mpg average so far (I put only 120 miles on the car so far so it should go up a bit when it breaks in).

The only thing similar to the Prius experience are the noises it makes. The engine, the braking actuator sound, etc. And the beep beep unlock. Everything else is completely different. You can feel the drivetrain having to work harder to stay in "EV mode." Meaning the slightly extra weight and the heavier (MUCH heavier) wheels and tires are harder for the EV to spin up. It feels slightly more labored where as the Prius moves with less effort and easier to glide. The CT kicks on the gas engine sooner and easier. I guess that's the trade off though. As for handling and steering. Worlds apart. Worlds. Of course, right? It's geared towards sport. The body feels tight and the ride is firm. Maybe too firm as the F Sport has much firmer everything than the standard CT. The front suspension although firm could be firmer on my F Sport to match the rear. For some reason the Front, while not soft, is noticeably softer than the rear. Going over speed bumps, the front will "wallow" slightly more than the rear. Maybe Lexus tuned it this way on purpose. I plan on probably doing the F Sport springs (only the dampers on the F sport are different than non F-Sport)

I do miss the space in the Prius. The front of the CT is virtually identical in every dimension. Legroom, headroom, shoulder room, etc. But the rear has 4" less leg room. If you're a tall guy in the back of the CT, your legs will brush the back of the front seats if you adjust the seat for yourself in the front. Whereas the Prius you'll have plenty of room to spare.

The interior of the Lexus. Wow. Just wow. Astounding quality. Working on the CT already, I can see more touches (cost) of the Lexus. More clips, more covers, more seals, more materials. The rear wheel wells are lined. b139a32d-798c-4ef3-8100-9e0e2cd80c2c - Copy.jpg 3e351f73-a910-4230-afae-c74a83729df8 - Copy.jpg

You can see where your money is being spent when you look at the details.

Anyway so far I installed bi-xenon projectors, my sub/amp, and a dash cam. The install went almost identical to the Prius.

Just cell phone pics for now.

#1 E46Prius, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    Hasan, Tideland Prius, bisco and 3 others like this.
  2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Congrats, from the title, I thought you bought a Cadillac. ;)

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Evidently The Prius didn't match your priorities in vehicle ownership.
    If you're happy? Then I'm happy for you.
    For me, if I'm committing to hybrid purchase and ownership, then efficiency is a huge aspect. The loss in MPG would keep me from making this move.
    But if interior refinement and "sports" handling balance out that loss for you? Then Congratulations.

Out of morbid curiosity did you ever consider the new Gen 4 Prius?

Jon Senum likes this.
  4. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks. I tried sprucing up the Prius with the FRS wheels, mirror covers, bi-xenon, etc, but I still wanted more. LOved the gas mileage but wanted something w/ a nicer interior. hybrid ownership and mileage expectations is all relative. I suppose if I had a Prius LB but wanted maximum city economy, I'd get a Prius C for even MORE economy. With the FRS wheels, I was getting around 44-45mpg average. The CT will get around 41ish (once broken in) so a bunch more luxury, handling, safety, creature comforts, looks, etc at a cost of 3mpg, I'm still happy. Your average sportyish small-medium sized engine car (most cars out there) will return about 21-23mpg mixed. So anything 40+ mpg and I'm very pleased. Over the course of a year, the 3-4 mpg difference between my Prius and this CT won't really be earth shattering in terms of cost. Few bucks a month if that?

If that's the cost of driving a Lexus--sign me up.

And yes I considered the Gen 4. Saw it on the freeway a few times. I must say it looks weird in person. I also don't like the bathtub style center console. I like the cockpit feel of the Prius/CT. I wanted to love the gen 4 very much but couldn't.

5. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I was going to purchase another Prius five and ended up buying a CT.. I did not know Lexus made the car. I had another car in the shop and I noticed it . We have a lightly optioned car. We still have the Prius in the mix ... and we don;t often need the back seat or the trunk .. so the CT works for us.

The seats are nicer ... it's an all around nicer interior over the Prius. It must be remembered that the Prius is all about about efficiencies - The CT is nice compromise for us. I get around 46mpg vs 55 with the Prius on a particular loop.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    gorgeous! congrats, all the best.(y) can you give us a console pic?

7. KeinoDoggy

KeinoDoggy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got to agree on your observation of the 2017 Prius's interior, I like the looks of the Gen 3 much more. The glossy white bathtub style center console is rediculous. It looks like it doesn't belong there....what were they thinking?

8. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah I feel the same. Not sure why they couldn't make it a swoopy cockpit design. It's like they made the Gen 4 more suited for taxi cab or delivery duty (storing crap in the middle, notepads, food orders, etc) and hence the bathtub middle.

9. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why not swap out the wheels on the CT for something lighter? Not gonna be cheap (per the saying: light, strong, cheap - pick two)

10. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    CT200h is a nice car inside, if not a tad tight in there, buy really one of the best driver oriented interiors in the normal Lexus line. I liked it. Newer nose job better too. Otherwise, it's too close to it's Matrix/Vibe lineage to justify the price of the thing. Lexus does a nice job of isolation on cars. I drove a CT200h in Florida while waiting for service to be completed on my father in law's Lexus last Summer. We also tried out a new ES, which is really just a very fluffed up Camry, to compare to their LS. Both cars drove well, but there was little indication about anything that was going on outside. I guess that's what they try to achieve, so in that regard they were spot on.

Besides being a slightly portly car for its size, the CT200h is set back by not having the greatest aerodynamics in the world, but it seems to work pretty well as a hybrid. You should be able to get a few MPG above the rated EPA numbers in the city with only a small amount of driving care. With all the years of hybrid driving experience, I was able to get pretty good numbers from the quick 17 mile drive I took, mostly in urban conditions with a short squirt on the I-4. The car was a demo and had about 500 miles on the ODO. There was no F-Sport there, so didn't drive that.

11. iron-icman

iron-icman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Thats one car that I haven't looked at yet seen on pictures and on eBay but not sat in one is the boot much smaller than a prius they seem to be on the same price as the prius gen 3 which the lexus just seems to be a lot more for the money are there any cons to the lexus over the prius etc

Thank you

12. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No picture was posted, so here are some for you. It's a very nice interior, way more luxury than Prius. Really too bad they didn't carry the theme over to Prius. Would have been nice. The new 4th Gen Prius is not nearly a driver's interior, and even less so than 3 Gen. Using the ct200h dash would have helped the new version quite a lot.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A dirty job, someone has to do it. <GRINS>

Seriously, I'm glad for you. A Prius is not for everyone but for those who like 'em. You've got the ride you want and that is all that matters.

Bob Wilson

14. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The CT is working out well for us - 5 months 8k. We still have our 2011 Prius. The CT replaced another larger car. Even lightly optioned as our CT is, it priced out a bit above a base Prius five w/o technology package ... 30k. The highly optioned CT's are pushing 40k ... even heavily discounted they are expensive against the competition.

With fuel low in price, I'm sure all hybrids are more difficult to sell. The Prius was such a surprise -- it's the perfect extra car for our family. We have two weekend houses out of the city -- so we are always going back and forth. The trips are all about 1.5 hours -- 60-70 or so miles. The CT was another experiment .... I'm enjoying the nicer seats. This summer will be a good test regarding the CT's smaller cargo capacity.

Our sales person indicated that they sell a lot of CT's to people who already have another Lexus -- they want a second (or third) car with no worries attached. The Prius makes more economic sense ... but I understand the Lexus ownership experience (we have purchased a few). We keep our cars a long time ... if I get the 150k of worry free and inexpensive miles out of the CT as I have from the Prius ...will be happy.